Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is There Some Way To Buy Hay In Bulk?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    119 Rec'd/85 Posts
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)

Is There Some Way To Buy Hay In Bulk?

With 5 guinea pigs, I'm noticing the hay is dwindling extremely fast. Totally OK, but is there somewhere I can buy hay in bulk? I bought this KAYTEE brand hay and towards the bottom of the bag, it's mostly hay that looks as of it's been ground down so fine it's almost like dust. That can't be good for them right? Or someone with allergies right? I've checked Craigslist for farmers with Timothy hay but the ads always say the hay had been sprayed for weeds.... that's not good either right?

HELP!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    77 Rec'd/52 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)

Re: Is There Some Way To Buy Hay In Bulk?

Doctors Foster and Smith
    Small Pet Select
    KMS Hayloft

are three popular ones. I personally order hay & pellets from KMS. At first glance, the shipping can give a person a heart attack. But for me, shipping is close whether I buy 30lbs, or 50lbs. So I just place 50lb orders every time, and it truly ends up cheaper than the store.

You could also look into buying a bale of hay locally. But you need to find out what kind of hay it is (where I live most horse hay is an alfalfa mix).

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    119 Rec'd/85 Posts
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by madrae View Post
    Doctors Foster and Smith
    Small Pet Select
    KMS Hayloft

are three popular ones. I personally order hay & pellets from KMS. At first glance, the shipping can give a person a heart attack. But for me, shipping is close whether I buy 30lbs, or 50lbs. So I just place 50lb orders every time, and it truly ends up cheaper than the store.

You could also look into buying a bale of hay locally. But you need to find out what kind of hay it is (where I live most horse hay is an alfalfa mix).
    OK I'll look into that! How many piggies do you have and how long does 50 lbs of hay last you?

I'm looking at an ad right now that has Timothy hay, but it says sprayed and fertilized.... is that bad?

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,312 Rec'd/5,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    2041 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3902 Post(s)

Sweet Meadow Farm and Small Pet Select may be the closest places that ship to Alabama. That, or an Oxbow box shipped to a pet or feed store near you for pickup. Most of the others are in the far west, although they'll still be way cheaper for hay than a local store (unless you're buying a bale at a feed store or local farm), and about the same on pellets.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    77 Rec'd/52 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)

Yeah, you do not want sprayed and fertilized.

I don't think I can be much help on quantity. I "usually" have 5 pigs, but am fostering 4 more. I order pellets, too, so I think last time (early Dec.) I had 25lb pellets, 25lb hay. Have to order more today. Things are crazy around here.... My best guess is 50 should last you...maybe 3-4 months?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    119 Rec'd/85 Posts
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)

Thanks, @bpatters and @madrae! Also, what's the difference between 1st,2nd and so on cut?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    119 Rec'd/85 Posts
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)

Just dis some quick research and I think I like the hay from Sweet Meadow Farm and the pellets from KMS. They are cheap and shipping isn't crazy. Thanks!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    18 Rec'd/17 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)

We can highly recommend Standlee Premium Western Orchard Grass through Amazon (we've had some quality trouble with Dr. Fosters). They have decent Western Timothy Grass, as well, both in either 10 or 25 pound boxes (in aerated bags inside). We prefer the 10 pound, but have tried the 25. We prefer the texture and less allergenic Orchard grass over the Timothy. We've tried Oxbow, etc., as well.

Example:
    http://www.amazon.com/Standlee-Premi...0337272&sr=1-2

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    77 Rec'd/52 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)

Timothy hay has a growing season, and 1st, 2nd, 3rd refers to when it was harvested. Same plant, just different stages of season.

1st is generally most course. 2nd is still course, but more leaves and flower buds that the pigs enjoy (this is my pigs' favorite, I guess, because I find little waste), 3rd cut is harvested in fall, and is most green, soft and almost all leaves. I think it smells like tea when I open it.

Everyone with allergies is going to say one hay affects theirs more or less than others. Everybody is different. My pigs favor 2nd cut, but third is easiest on my allergies.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    119 Rec'd/85 Posts
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)

@Mellisenda, thanks for the top but honestly the price is almost double that of Sweet Meadow Farm. Even with shipping.

@madrae, thanks for the info. I wad at a total loss add to what the cuts were, .

Oh guys... Another quick question, and I'm so sorry for all the questions, but if I have Timothy hay based pellets AND Timothy hay hay, this isn't too much fiber or anything right?

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,312 Rec'd/5,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    2041 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3902 Post(s)

Timothy hay and timothy pellets aren't too much. The hay is the most important thing. The pellets are just a good way to give the needed vitamins and minerals.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

Pet Food Direct has good sales on hay. I think Oxbow timothy is $56 for 50 lbs right now and orchard grass is $57 with free shipping. There's a box that's marked autoship but you can prompt out of it before you complete the check out. I think their sale prices are the cheapest I've found. I've ordered from them the last two times and both batches have been beautiful. It's in plastic in a large box so it won't get wet if it sits on your porch when it's delivered. I repackage it and store it in my garage.

Thanks
    Thanks
    121 Rec'd/95 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    79 Post(s)

I buy hay from a local feed store. They have orchard and timothy hay. I've been buying timothy hay by the bale. I also have rabbits that go through it faster than my piggies. I would guess that my rabbits go through hay about 3 times as fast as my piggies.

One bale of hay lasted my 2 rabbits almost a full year. Now with the piggies, it will go a little quicker. But the bale cost me just $24. It's huge! Here is a photo...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_9329.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	250.5 KB 
ID:	60114

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    119 Rec'd/85 Posts
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    I buy hay from a local feed store. They have orchard and timothy hay. I've been buying timothy hay by the bale. I also have rabbits that go through it faster than my piggies. I would guess that my rabbits go through hay about 3 times as fast as my piggies.

One bale of hay lasted my 2 rabbits almost a full year. Now with the piggies, it will go a little quicker. But the bale cost me just $24. It's huge! Here is a photo...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_9329.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	250.5 KB 
ID:	60114
    Omg.... This is exactly what I'm looking for. Do you think tractor supply would have something like this?

Thanks
    Thanks
    481 Rec'd/326 Posts
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    182 Post(s)

Check your local feed stores. I sometimes get bales of hay from our local feed store for about $6 a bale. Always double check the type of hay your getting. The feed store I go to has 2 different sections of hay. I also buy from Small Pet Select and my pigs go nuts for their hay!

Thanks
    Thanks
    121 Rec'd/95 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    79 Post(s)

^^ not sure... I just googled and they have "2-string bales" http://www.tractorsupply.com/content...tring-hay.html

My bale (in photo) has 3 strings holding it together.

From what I've seen, what constitutes a "bale" seems to vary wildly in size and amount of hay.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    523 Rec'd/459 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)

I would get a small bag of hay if you change the type. I bought 2 bales of local Orchard hay and none would eat it. I guess I could have waited it out to see but I ended up buying Timothy hay again. I buy from Small pet select, 2nd cut and I just ordered from KMS 3rd cut, OMG they love the 3rd cut and there isn't the hard piece waste at all.

Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

If you buy baled hay, make sure you ask what type of hay it is. Around here, there's a lot of alfalfa grown so hay bales often has alfalfa mixed in. I always inspect the bales closely before buying. One of the farmers I bought hay from told me he has a lot of customers with small pets. When I got home, I realized the bale had tons of alfalfa in it so I donated it our local animal control that gets in a lot of bunnies. I told them it had a lot of alfalfa in it so they wouldn't feed it to the adults.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    18 Rec'd/17 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie Queen View Post
    @Mellisenda , thanks for the top but honestly the price is almost double that of Sweet Meadow Farm. Even with shipping.
    It may seem that way, but it really isn't. 10 pounds of Standlee Orchard Grass is the same price as 7.5 pounds of Sweet Meadow Orchard Grass, shipping not included. Now Sweet Meadow has something that confused me on the page for the Orchard;

Full case (box of six 20 oz. bags) Natural Harvest Orchard Grass $21.54 Out of stock

(box of six 20 oz. bags; $2.79/bag)

The note of $2.79 per bag brings the total to $16.74. Regardless, I only mean well and hope you find something fair priced and good quality.

Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    ^^ not sure... I just googled and they have "2-string bales" http://www.tractorsupply.com/content...tring-hay.html

My bale (in photo) has 3 strings holding it together.

From what I've seen, what constitutes a "bale" seems to vary wildly in size and amount of hay.
    Around here, a bale is two strings and 25 to 30 lbs. There's a farm supply store far north of me where I can buy bales in the summer. When I calculated for the cost of gas and the weight of the bale, it really wasn't much cheaper for me. I've never seen any bales as nice as those ordered online, either, so I've had more wasted hay when I buy bales. I'd be curious if the two vs three strings is an indication of weight.

User Tag List