Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Day 60, very quiet piggy -- THE PUPS ARE HERE!

JenNPiggys

Cavy Slave
Re: Day 60, very quiet piggy

Geesh! I have been following this for a bit now. Hope poor momma has those babies soon!

mumof4andzoo

Cavy Slave

no and im sat watching her like a hawk, just came down for a coffee refill. at one point i thought she was making the hiccuping motion, but when i crawled across the floor to have a closer look, she was eating.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave

I'm by no means an expert, but I imagine as a prey animal, and pregnant, she's feeling pretty vulnerable. She might feel too scrutinized to give birth if there's a big human watching over her haha!

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave

The suspense is killing me.

mumof4andzoo

Cavy Slave

you and me both!!!

I spoke with a lady earlier on this evening who runs a rescue centre, for her thoughts as i couldnt just ring the vet for a chit chat on a sunday evening. She suggested i check Chestnut in the morning, if she is ok and her usual self, then leave her and check at lunch time. if the same then check her again at tea time. if still the same, her usual self and if the babies are felt to be moving then leave taking her to the vet till tuesday morning where the vet could give her an injection to try and start labour off rather than a c section first off. She did say that if at any time i couldnt feel the babies moving, then get her straight into the vet.

She also did say that she may go over night tonight..

i will check her in a few mins as ive left her be for an hour.

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave

It would be so hard to leave her alone, but she definitely needs private time. I know I wouldn't want anyone staring at me! haha

mumof4andzoo

Cavy Slave

when i had my kids, it got to a point where the whole world could be watching and i wouldnt of cared!!! LOL.

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave

Haha, definitely check on her, but maybe once every two hours or so.

mumof4andzoo

Cavy Slave

whoops!! she spotted me... i just crawled into the front room very quietly, up to her cage and peeked over the top. immediately she started chattering at me from her hidey!!

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave

See she wants alone time! haha

Binky Binx

Cavy Slave

Awww, smart little girl! I too keep checking this post waiting to see those little babies...keep us posted! Hugs

mumof4andzoo

Cavy Slave

believe me, you guys will be the second to know... my daughter first im afraid. ;)

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer

you and me both!!!

I spoke with a lady earlier on this evening who runs a rescue centre, for her thoughts as i couldnt just ring the vet for a chit chat on a sunday evening. She suggested i check Chestnut in the morning, if she is ok and her usual self, then leave her and check at lunch time. if the same then check her again at tea time. if still the same, her usual self and if the babies are felt to be moving then leave taking her to the vet till tuesday morning where the vet could give her an injection to try and start labour off rather than a c section first off. She did say that if at any time i couldnt feel the babies moving, then get her straight into the vet.

She also did say that she may go over night tonight..

i will check her in a few mins as ive left her be for an hour.

I would be very wary of using the injection to start labor. I believe what they use is Pitocin. The only times I've heard it used it ended in tragedy. I had a very sad and horrible experience with a pregnant guinea pig that was given Pitocin.

Does the vet know for sure she's pregnant? I once had a female who had huge fluid filled cysts that looked just like she was pregnant.

mumof4andzoo

Cavy Slave

oh yes, shes had an ultrasound scan. most definately babies in there. plus they move a lot. thanks for the heads up re the injection.

petgal49

Cavy Slave

I have also heard some negative things about the injection. Natural is best!

madrae

Cavy Slave

I was fostering a pregnant pig. We had no idea of exact dates, but her pelvic bones were separating for over a week. We went CRAZY waiting the last bit! I did same as you ....crawl over and peek. LOL

I figured she would have them at night when all was calm and quiet. Every morning... no babies. Then late in afternoon, my husband is sitting next to the cage on the computer. I mom-jog by heading to laundry room and almost fell... whisper-yelled at my husband, "OH MY GOD! THERE'S A BABY!" She was having them right there, so quiet he never knew! We caught just in time to see the next two born.

Just be patient! It will happen!

mumof4andzoo

Cavy Slave

LOL...

Heres hoping this is what happens with us today!! as still nothing. :(

This afternoon periwinkle arrives, our newest adoptee. She will be into the vets as she was a store bought piggy by our friend and then she will be put into quarantine.

Gowroo

Cavy Slave

Just logged on to check in on how Mamma Piggy is doing! STILL not dropped! Ah well. Hope it all goes to planned! :D

Crystalkate

Cavy Slave

Yep same here.

mumof4andzoo

Cavy Slave

so far this morning, she hasnt moved out of her hidey and if i try and check her i get chattered at. i lifted up the other end of her hidey to check her rear end and shes just sprawled.

this is some waiting game!!!!..

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.