Thanks
    Thanks
    232 Rec'd/199 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    142 Post(s)

Happy Chattering?

Well it was more like teeth grinding and it wasn't loud. I was giving her some rubs in her cuddle sack, she was purring and sweetly wheeking away while attempting to popcorn at times haha I stopped petting her for just a moment and her mouth started vibrating. I was trying to figure out what the heck she was doing. It definitely wasn't chewing, it just look like she was quivering her lips. Then I heard a quite grinding sound and thought she must be chattering. Keep in mind she was laying down, her little back foot stretched out and two seconds before this she was purring and two seconds after this she started purring/wheeking again, soon after that she fell asleep. She was very obviously content Lol. (Or perhaps I really do have a piggydonna and she was throwing a tantrum over me stopping for a moment hahaha)

I was just wondering if any of you had a piggy that did this? I've read a couple times that piggies sometimes chatter when they're content rather than as a warning but it didn't exactly sound like chattering. Is it called something else? I just found it interesting... And really cute, seriously, just imagine big round eyes looking at you as their little piggy lips quiver. xD

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

Re: Happy Chattering?

They popcorn when they're excited. It's not necessarily a sign of happiness. It can be that they're overstimulated. When mine get startled or if I vacuum close to their cage, they popcorn. She might have been getting ready to take a nap and she was telling you she was annoyed by the rubs.

Thanks
    Thanks
    232 Rec'd/199 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    142 Post(s)

Happy Chattering?

She wasn't popcorning at the time she was doing it. She likes it when I gently stroke her until she is completely asleep, if I stop petting her before, she sniffs out my hand and nudges herself under it for more rubs. Which is what happened this time too. It's hilarious because she starts off in her cuddle sack but every time I move my hand away she moves closer and closer until she's completely outside of it, nestled against my neck, under my chin.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

Maybe she was annoyed that you stopped. They chatter when they're annoyed so something bothered her.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Princess_Piggie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

I know that chattering is supposed to be annoyance, but my girls do a similar thing that looks like chewing sometimes. It doesn't even sound like chattering, it sounds more like teeth grinding. Minnie does it when she wants back in the cage, but Daisy does it when she's happy and falling asleep on me!

Thanks
    Thanks
    25 Rec'd/12 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Mine does a fake chatter when he has to potty so I will put him down. It sounds like a less mad chatter and not as fast He runs to his cage potties and comes back for more lap time. It could be something like that

User Tag List