Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Injured leg/hip? And pimple on other leg? Or abcess?

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Injured leg/hip? And pimple on other leg? Or abcess?

Hello all! So, my older piggie, Reeses, seems to have hurt her back right leg... I noticed today, that she's not really been moving around as much, and just isn't her happy-go-lucky self... Being concerned, I took her out of the cage, for some cuddles, and a quick once-over... I noticed she made A LOT of noise, when I touched her back right hip/leg, when she was otherwise pretty quiet, during my looking/touching. It also seems kind of swollen, and she seems to be favouring it in general. Gave her .06 of metacam, and some water, and am going to feed them, in a second. But, my sister mentioned she tried to jump over their wooden ball chew toy, and got stuck, and Marshy came over and pushed it out from under her.

While checking her other leg, just to feel the difference, I noticed she had a big lump on her left back leg. Upon exposing it, I noticed it had some gunk coming out of it, so I emptied the gunk, and the lump is gone, now, with just a hole left, where it came out... The gunk is a grayish-white, and has no smell. Tried placing some gauze on it, but she was not receptive at all, so just left it uncovered... I'm not too concerned it's an infection, as there was no smell, and it wasn't pus, just some gunk. But, has anyone else had this happen to their pigs? Is it normal?

My regular vet was already closed, when I called, and as we're having insane weather, I can't take her to the emergency vet, tonight... I left a message with my vet, though, and will likely take her in, in the morning, since they're open.

But, until then, is there anything I should do? I'm going to separate the girls, and confine Reeses, so she's not over-exerting herself, but is there anything else I can do, until tomorrow? She just seems so unhappy :(

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,158 Rec'd/5,696 Posts
    Mentioned
    2010 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3727 Post(s)

Re: Injured leg/hip? And pimple on other leg? Or abcess?

Sounds like a sebaceous cyst, which will probably heal on its own. The other leg, which is swollen and which she's favoring, is much more worrisome. I would get her to an exotic vet as soon as I could. Also keep an eye on her to make sure she's eating, and hand feed her if she isn't. Also, start weighing daily so you'll know whether or not she's maintaining her weight.

You should, of course, mention the bump on the left leg when you take her in so it can be checked out, but I'm betting it won't be anything to worry about.

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Good to know. I'm going to take her to the vet, in the morning, so she can get checked out. Is there anything else I should do, to help ease her discomfort? She's happily munching away, on dinner, right now, and seems in a bit better spirits, so I'm guessing the pain has eased, because the metacam has kicked in. Thank you. :)

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Just updating... Reeses does not have a broken leg. She likely pulled a muscle, or sprained it. There was some inflammation, but the bones are intact. She also has a UTI, which I suspected, but there are no bladder or kidney stones. She has to be confined for two weeks, is on antibiotics, and metacam.
    My poor baby :(

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,158 Rec'd/5,696 Posts
    Mentioned
    2010 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3727 Post(s)

When you confine her, section her off in part of her usual cage if you can. It may make reintroductions a little easier, and she'll be close enough to the others to visit through the bars.

Do be prepared to have to do full reintroductions when you put them back together. Even if they've always been together, and have been confined close to each other, there'll still be some dominance posturing.

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

That's exactly what I've done. I did the same thing, when Marshy injured her own foot recently, but had no idea I had to do reintroductions, as they were fed together every night. That ended up leading to some pushing. So, will be prepared to do reintroductions, this time around.

The girls are not happy. Only this time, they're chewing at the bars of the partition, and Reeses didn't even finish her carrot, and has seemed to have barely touched her hay... So, going to make sure she eats, tonight, and is settled... Should I supplement with some CC, as well?

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,158 Rec'd/5,696 Posts
    Mentioned
    2010 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3727 Post(s)

I wouldn't supplement yet. I'd just put both food piles right together at the wall between them. That way, maybe they'll think they're just eating normally.

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Well, they eat dinner in a kiddie pool, so I can clean out the cage nightly. I just block off part of the cage, so she doesn't move around much. The vet agreed it was a good idea, since they won't eat apart. Tried that when Marshy was confined... They ate a tiny bit, and then flopped down, and refused to eat more, until they were put back together, lol. Thanks, for the advice, though :) When, if necessary, should I start to supplement?

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,158 Rec'd/5,696 Posts
    Mentioned
    2010 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3727 Post(s)

When she starts not eating, you can start supplementing.

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I think it's time to start supplementing... She's refusing to eat, even in my lap... :(

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,158 Rec'd/5,696 Posts
    Mentioned
    2010 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3727 Post(s)

Did the vet give you Critical Care and the syringes you need? Have you read http://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html?

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Yes, I've got everything I need, and know how to hand feed :)

She ate a little bit off the spoon, willingly, and then about 1 3/4 syringe-fuls from a, if I remember correctly, 1 oz syringe. So, altogether, about 2 oz of critical care. I made it a little soupy, to make sure she got fluids, too. She's chilling in the pool with her sister, but still isn't eating any veg.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,158 Rec'd/5,696 Posts
    Mentioned
    2010 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3727 Post(s)

You might want to check that syringe. They don't usually come in ounces, but in milliliters. And a milliliter is WAY less than an ounce.

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	59782
    Thats the syringe. It's a monoject 412. I can't remember how many ml it is, because I've had it since she got sick last year, but I know it's about an ounce [culinary major, so know about how much an ounce is, by looking at it]. The vet is the one who gave it to me. He said 1-2 syringe-fuls, at least twice a day. I *want* to say it's a 12cc syringe, but I honestly can't be sure. For comparison, the feeding syringe, next to a 1.0 ml medicine syringe, and a 0.3 ml medicine syringe:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	59783

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,158 Rec'd/5,696 Posts
    Mentioned
    2010 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3727 Post(s)

I usually use a big syringe to load the 1 cc syringes. The smaller ones are easier to get into the pig's mouth in the proper position than the large ones are. And you're right, that does look like it holds about an ounce. Maybe it's a 5 cc syringe?

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Maybe. I really can't remember, lol. But, the girls love this syringe, for some reason. They grab at it, so I find it easier to use to feed them, than the small ones, because they don't like the small ones. I fight more with them, with the small ones, than with the big one. She ate about 1.5 syringe-fuls of CC, and two of her vitamin C tidbits. Didn't eat any of the veg I put in her area, last night, though. I have her some green pepper, for breakfast, but so far she hasn't eaten it. Could the flagyl be causing her to not want to eat? She's never been on it, before. She's also on the metacam, and septra suspension. She is drinking, though.

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I'm stopping the flagyl. Her poops have, while still solid, become incredibly soft, and wetter than normal. Will call the vet in the morning, to see what she wants to do.

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Great news! I stopped the flagyl, and she's already doing better. She ate two syringes of CC, and is now munching on some lettuce!

19. "Thank you, Aislinn, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    866 Rec'd/747 Posts
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    391 Post(s)

Is she on a probiotic? When Ferb is on an antibiotic I have to give him a probiotic or he gets mushy poop and loses his appetite.

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

No. I was going to make her a poop slurry, but, so far, Marshy is not willing to give up any caecal, lol. And I don't have any capsules. But, since stopping the flagyl, she's begun eating, again, and is in much better spirits. I'm going to call the vet, in the morning, to see what she wants to do.

User Tag List