Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Unexpected pregnancy, guessing 7 weeks or so...what to do to baby proof my cage?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@JenNPiggys, crowding results in stressed pigs that nibble the ears of the others in the cage.

bernieg

Cavy Slave
@ThePigAlchemist Yes I will make sure to do that! & my dad wants me to give the babies back to the pet store but I honestly don't think I can do that...I'm going to try my hardest to convince him to keep them, or find responsible owners. But it's really hard in a town as small as mine, so many people giving up animals, not enough responsible owners.

Tikka has barely gotten up in a few hours. She is making a slight grunting noise...and looks to have the "hiccups" but not the ones i've seen in video's when they have contractions. It's strange she's been doing this since yesterday too. Looks like she's struggling to get comfortable too. Ugh I just want the babies out and healthy for her sake. It's been stressing me out. :(

bernieg

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs passing water?

Could anyone please tell me if guinea pigs actually pass water a few hours before they give birth? I've read yes, and I've read no. If so does it just look like clear liquid?

bernieg

Cavy Slave
And if it's normal for her to be sleeping with her eyes closed the last few days?...

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It all sounds very normal to me.

bernieg

Cavy Slave
Alright thank you just worried!

bernieg

Cavy Slave
@bpatters my girl tikka gave birth to 3 beautiful healthy babies! :). I want to weigh the babies can I once they dry off? And the towel that was in there is all bloody can I change it?! :)

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Yes you can weigh them once Tikka is done drying them, just don't have them away from her for any longer then necessary and take them one at a time.

Yes you should change the towel, sometimes the mum will be on edge until the blood is gone because her instincts tell her that it will attract predators. If you can change the towel without taking her out of the cage then that is great, but if you need to take her out coax her onto a towel and use it as a sling rather then picking her up as her stomach will be very tender.

bernieg

Cavy Slave
Everything went well thank you! I used lettuce to get her off the blanket after she was done with the babies! So I didn't have to pick her up they're all a little over 100g!

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Congratulations, looking forward to the baby pictures!

bernieg

Cavy Slave
image.jpgimage.jpgBaby pictures! :) I think I have 2 girls and one boys, the boy being the one with the most black! :). I'll check them again when they're about two weeks. :)

Attachments

image.jpg

janinehunt

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Such cuties! The white one looks smaller than the others. Is she of a good size and weight, and eating OK?

bernieg

Cavy Slave
Thank you :). Yes she actually weighs the most, I think it was just the angle of the picture! They lost a little bit of weight since day 1 but I read that was normal?

bernieg

Cavy Slave
Mama giving birth blood on bed she's eating the bed! URGENT

My girls giving birth right now and as we speak she's trying to clean up the blood that's gotten on the bed I have for her. She's trying to eat the bed to get the blood off! I'm terrified she's ingesting it what do I do?!?!

pineapplepigs

Cavy Slave
Re: Mama giving birth blood on bed she's eating the bed! URGENT

i would take away the bed if i were you. there should only be a little bit of blood or none if she is dripping blood or is bleeding more than a table spoon you need to call the vet

bernieg

Cavy Slave

It's not more than a table spoon. It just was on the bed and she was eating it. She's on the bed with the babies right now. I don't want to pick her up. I don't know how to get her off the bed though

pineapplepigs

Cavy Slave

It's not more than a table spoon. It just was on the bed and she was eating it. She's on the bed with the babies right now. I don't want to pick her up. I don't know how to get her off the bed though

ok good. try lightly tugging on the bed so she might hop off i dont know much on pregnant sows or sows that just gave birth maybe give her one of her favorite healthy treats or friut

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave

She may have just been cleaning the blood away as post-birth blood can make the sow feel uncomfortable. Are you sure she was actually chewing on the bed, and not just cleaning the area and the pups?

bernieg

Cavy Slave
19 day old babies, problems sexing. Separated from mother, mom freaking out.

Alright so my babies are 19 days old and I noticed today they were ALL humping their mother. They wouldn't leave her alone. So as soon as I seen this I separated them. As soon as I did the mother (Tikka) started going crazy! She is looking everywhere for them chewing the cage bars trying to squeeze in between her litter box. Trying to get in her sister and her babies cage. It's just ridiculous! I honestly thought I had 2 boys and a girl, they were all humping her, one looks to be a female but she had the same behaviour. Any help with sexing? I've been to some sites posted on here but I still find it a bit difficult! And any ideas on what to do with the poor mom? :(

GreyWish

Cavy Champion
Cavy Gazer
Re: 19 day old babies, problems sexing. Separated from mother, mom freaking out.

Sexing seems hard at first but its easy when you understand it. Males will appear to look like an i females will look like a Y in the genital area. You can post pictures and im sure i or someone else can help you determine what sex they are :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.