Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

UK The cavy store?? *please read*

Elmo525

Cavy Slave
Hi all,
I've been thinking alot about c&c cages and fleece cozy supplies being available in the UK and often the lack of it. Teaming up with a few friends we've come up with an idea to open a cavy store where you can purchase c&cs kits, fleece liners and all the other every day guinea pig items that are hard to find. With consent of several online companys to supply our store. We're also thimking pf seelimg guinea food, promote rescue centres maybe now and again hold guinea pig workshops on care and advice (I am a trainee vet and rodentologist). I think people lack the understanding of guinea pigs and with help and advice maybe we can help change the view of them being disposal pets? I was just wondering who would be interested in this idea, would shop here (obviously depending on the place we would hope to expand of the business goes well) all comments welcomes :)

pigger123

Cavy Slave
That is a wonderful idea! Way too many guinea pig owners are misinformed and just don't know how to take proper care of them (or just don't even care). I'm sure your store would be great to teach people and help them get what they need. I would totally shop there, but I live the US lol.

Elmo525

Cavy Slave
That's brilliant to hear. Give you a great excuse to visit the uk one day lol. We're hoping to get this up and running soon but right now its just an idea on a piece of paper! Just researching our target market and seeing how well it will be seen without upsetting online stores but our point is not everyone owns a computer

spudsthepiget

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I love your idea! I think it would be awesome to have a store that only sells merchandise that's good for piggies; not like a pet store with all of its gimmicks. If I lived in the UK, I would probably be in your store 4 times a week.

Elmo525

Cavy Slave
Thats good to know. In the uk (im not sure about other countries) we have a kind of top ten pets to have and guinea pigs rank about seventh so its kind of a hit or miss how well its perceived. However as line online many guinea pig stores also cater for other small animals such as rats, rabbits and chinchillas. So maybe kt5 could also stock piggy merchandise but also those that ate suitable for other small animals?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd suggest you do some wider research before you invest in this. I don't know of anywhere that has a large enough concentration of GP owners to support a walk-in store. By the time you factor in rent, utlities, insurance, etc, you've got a lot of costs that a relatively few customers are going to have to support, and all that is on top of your supplies for building the cages. Given that the materials for C&Cs are pretty inexpensive and a lot of people build their own, I don't think you're going to find much of a market.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
I think if you had stuff for other small animals as well, it would get you more customers. Then, those customers would see the guinea pig stuff (which you could specialize in) and tell their friends who have guinea pigs, and then the friends would take better care of them, and so on. Plus, you might have better business than if it was just for piggies.

Elmo525

Cavy Slave
I'd suggest you do some wider research before you invest in this. I don't know of anywhere that has a large enough concentration of GP owners to support a walk-in store. By the time you factor in rent, utlities, insurance, etc, you've got a lot of costs that a relatively few customers are going to have to support, and all that is on top of your supplies for building the cages. Given that the materials for C&Cs are pretty inexpensive and a lot of people build their own, I don't think you're going to find much of a market.

This is one of our main fears. We have been looking into other small animals too as our local pet stores focus mainly on cats and dogs and now replies..we have found that most small animal owners are having to rravel upto 15 miles to find everyday guinea pig iteams such as hay and certain brands of food. As said before we're just toying with an idea and are planning alot of local research before taking any action if any :D

Elmo525

Cavy Slave
**reptiles auto correct fail -_-'

I_Love_Kiwi

Cavy Slave
I would most definitely shop there! The only down side is I live in the United States :(

Elmo525

Cavy Slave
I don't know much about starting businesses, but maybe making a small-scale online store would work better than brick and mortar, at least to get started. I say this with the disclaimer that I don't know the overhead of online businesses, but I would assume it would be less than a physical store and would be accessible to more people.

We are planning on a online store but we have permission from other small animal online stores to stock a shop. There is loads to go over! Its not as easy as it sounds..I know some guinea pig lovers would love the idea but the problem is how many guinea pig lovers are there?! Lol

Elmo525

Cavy Slave
I think im going to have to move to the states! Haha

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
As the only other UK-er on the thread, I can confirm I would most definitely shop there! I'd definitely appreciate it, especially if you sold pre-scored coroplast and made fleece liners to order etc. I think it would be best to approach the online market first though, as it opens up a wider consumer base. You could even include Ireland and Wales and Scotland etc.

Elmo525

Cavy Slave
Yeah I think that's the best idea. Start online see how well it goes and think about expanding getting an actual store and where...:)

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Well feel free to open up around the corner from me, I'd be your best customer ;)

Elmo525

Cavy Slave
Haha where are you in the UK

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Liverpool! Well, Liverpool's my nearest city anyway. I actually live in Formby :)

Elmo525

Cavy Slave
Its possible lol :)

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Of course another viable option for your products would be to sell them in pet stores. And I don't mean the big chains like Pets at Home and the like, little individual ones that don't sell pets and only sell supplies :)

Elmo525

Cavy Slave
That's a really good idea actually thanks :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.