Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Becoming Vegaterian

CavyCzar

Cavy Slave
I am trying to become vegatarien. The longest i have ever made it was about 3 months, but then i visited my grandfather's house, and it feels like he only eats meat. any tips on what to do? in total i've been a vegatarien about 5 time, and 6 months. <- that is an estimated amount. what do i do when i feel tempted? i already eliminated shrimp. havent had a piece in 6+ years. plz help!

CavyCzar

Cavy Slave
by and six months, i mean that is about how much it would be if i added it all together.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
I would say start by eliminating a type of meat every couple months. I went "cold turkey" but I didn't eat much meat prior to that. I became a vegetarian at 9 (18 years ago). My friends who have been the most successful though take this approach. They start with the easy meats, and then eliminate the harder ones (for example: if they really love chicken, they'll wait to remove chicken from their diet). Also, remember that there are "hidden" animal products in foods. Those are the hardest for me. I still slip up and don't check for gelatin always. I ate Pop-Tarts for years, before I realized they had gelatin in them.

jinxie

Cavy Slave
I used to cheat sometimes in the first month then the more I started thinking about why, the more I couldn't bear it and never did it again. I actually ate a taco once, and then on the second one I started crying and told (yes i spoke to the taco) that was sorry it had to live a terrible life and then die for me to eat and I just threw it away cause I couldn't... That was like 5 years ago and I haven't eaten any since. Maybe watch some of those vegetarian videos (if you can stand it) and your taste for it will go away pretty quick I would think cause you will be reminded why you made the choice. That being said, I know some other people aren't as supportive. Just eat non-meat side items apologetically at other peoples houses and soon those close to you will get the point that you are serious about your diet and not trying to be rude. They will eventually be more understanding and help you out more. Even my insane meat-loving parents eventually supported my decision (even if they do offer me chicken every time I go over haha). It just takes time and each time you get that urge remind yourself that this is for them (the animals).

veggiegirl

Cavy Slave
For me Seeing and hearing what the animals go through just the once was enough to make me never want to support that industry EVER again, if you get tempted I would look on the internet about cruelty in livestock or whatever so much horrific things go on I cannot stand to see those sort of things but when I was 11 years old I saw cruelty at a slaughter house on the news and that changed me forever, going vegetarian was the best decision of my life. I am 24 now and have NEVER been tempted to eat or buy any animal product since seeing that. However if you find yourself tempted DO look at these sorts of things because it will remind you why you want to be vegetarian. Believe me at first I found it hard because I liked the taste of certain meats but after seeing that I never even considered eating it again even for a second as time goes by and you get used to not eating it meat tends to revolt me, I no longer think of it as a food but as burnt flesh and it sickens me it is strange but that is how it is for me.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
Personally, I think changing your lifestyle works better than shock tactics. Shocking images might boost you into the lifestyle change, but changes take repetition. It takes months to lose habits. Also, there are multiple sources of meat (at least in the US). Some people do buy CAFO meat, but there are others who buy from local farmers, or spend extra for certified humane. While you change your habits, I would recommend trying to buy from local farmers or certified humane. If you can't do that, stay away from fast food. They are the #1 supporters of inhumane treatment. They need the large numbers of animals that CAFO's provide.

ForeverEmber

Cavy Slave
I'm not vegetarian but I decide to have vegetarian days, some days.
I often refry beans with salsa, you can but this in a burrito, you can also add beans to stir fry or pasta sauce in place of meats.
Learning how to marinade and cook tofu well will also be helpful to enjoy your vegetarian meals.

When I was younger, I went veg, but I didn't know how to cook. I was eating a lot of those pre made soy products to mimic my family's meals. It didn't last long that way. I think being able to cook vegetarian meals is a very important part of this lifestyle. Do some internet searches for vegetarian dinners that appeal to you :) Asian style cooking is especially accomodating to vegetarian options

It is also important to know about nutrition. Vegetarian or not, if you are not eating foods with nutritional value you will feel weak and get sick easily. I hear from many people when they go vegetarian that they feel weaker because they are eliminating meat and not substituting it with something that will fuel their body

CavyCzar

Cavy Slave
Ok, ill try to do that!!! Does tacobell use real meat in their burritos????? When I look at beef cows in fields, I feel like crying thinking bout what they will b somedwy

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
Ok, ill try to do that!!! Does tacobell use real meat in their burritos????? When I look at beef cows in fields, I feel like crying thinking bout what they will b somedwy

Yes, all fast food meat contains animal products. It may be what is scooped up off the slaughter room floor, but it comes from animals.

I would really recommend starting to eliminate meat slowly from your diet. You need to find what works for you. Most people who I know have luck saving chicken for last. I guess it's easier to eliminate pork, beef, and sea foods.

As for cooking, I don't really "cook", but I do microwave a lot of things.

CavyCzar

Cavy Slave
okay, that scooped off the floor stuff??? gross... lets hope not xD

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.