Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 69

Thread: New Pig

  1. #1
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Nov 14, 2013
    Posts
    426
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Thanks
    69
    Thanks
    25 Rec'd/22 Posts

    New Pig

    I brought home a new pig on the 9th and it was only 5 weeks old. They said that it was a girl, which is what I was looking for because I already have girls, however I am kind of worried that it isn't a girl. My other girls are all adults, and I don't see their private parts protruding from behind them, but I do on my new pig. Do the private parts stick out more in skinny pigs? I have tried to tag team her with my mom so we could look at her underside, however the pictures don't help us. Looking at the pictures it does not look like a girl part, however it doesn't look like the boys either. It also has a little nub a little bit above the thing protruding out from underneath it, and im not sure what it is. I kind of think it is the leftover umbilical cord... or do they not have those? I could probably get a quick shot of its underside, when my mom gets home, so if you need a picture I will do that. Also, if it was a boy wouldn't it be trying to mount my girls, they are a lot bigger than it, so maybe that is why it hasn't tried mounting them if it is a boy?

  2. #2
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    29,723
    Mentioned
    2118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4089 Post(s)
    Thanks
    214
    Thanks
    7,530 Rec'd/6,016 Posts

    Re: New Pig

    Well, turn them all over and compare. If they don't look alike, then separate the new one. Also read www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm -- more than you ever wanted to know about guinea pig genitalia.

  3. #3
    Cavy Slave dukestyles's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 03, 2013
    Location
    Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    108
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Thanks
    6
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/6 Posts

    Re: New Pig

    Post a pic when you can. I would seperate for now just to be safe.

  4. #4
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Nov 14, 2013
    Posts
    426
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Thanks
    69
    Thanks
    25 Rec'd/22 Posts

    Re: New Pig

    Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Well, turn them all over and compare. If they don't look alike, then separate the new one. Also read www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm -- more than you ever wanted to know about guinea pig genitalia.
    I can't compare them to my other pigs, cause I can't turn them over. They barely fit into my hands when I am trying to pick them up to move them to their floor area so I can clean their cage. I am pretty positive they look nothing alike though because none of my other girls have a lump sticking out on their backside. Also I read that, I saw the pictures there. They don't look like the girl parts but they also don't look like the boy parts.

  5. #5
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Nov 14, 2013
    Posts
    426
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Thanks
    69
    Thanks
    25 Rec'd/22 Posts

    Re: New Pig

    Quote Originally Posted by dukestyles View Post
    Post a pic when you can. I would seperate for now just to be safe.
    My mom gets off work at 6 and we are going to the store, so I can post a picture in 4 hours.

  6. #6
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Nov 14, 2013
    Posts
    426
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Thanks
    69
    Thanks
    25 Rec'd/22 Posts

    Re: New Pig

    Quote Originally Posted by dukestyles View Post
    Post a pic when you can. I would seperate for now just to be safe.
    I would separate them, but my new pig is a climber. None of my other pigs have been interested in climbing anything so I didn't think about it, however when I brought my new pig home and put them into a temporary cage, until I could put them in my other cage the next day after I cleaned it, they climbed out of it to get to my other pigs. I am not really sure how they did, cause it was a vertical wall, that was 22in high. So they would end up back with my girls in a heartbeat, unless I put something on the top, but I don't have anything that could go over the top.

  7. #7
    Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Princess_Piggie's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 10, 2013
    Location
    Liverpool, UK
    Posts
    3,377
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)
    Thanks
    316
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts

    Re: New Pig

    Plenty of female guinea pigs have a sort of nub, it looks like the top above the Y is a little swollen almost. But it's just the way some have formed. At 5 weeks old, the testicles wouldn't be particularly pronounced on a male, so it won't be testicle sticking out the back I don't think.

    I imagine input from someone with a skinny pig would be quite useful, as perhaps skinny pigs do have slightly different anatomy. Just a possibility.

    One of my females looks like she's in the middle also, but is definitely female.
    Just make sure he/she is separated for now in case

  8. #8
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Nov 14, 2013
    Posts
    426
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Thanks
    69
    Thanks
    25 Rec'd/22 Posts

    Re: New Pig

    Quote Originally Posted by Princess_Piggie View Post
    Plenty of female guinea pigs have a sort of nub, it looks like the top above the Y is a little swollen almost. But it's just the way some have formed. At 5 weeks old, the testicles wouldn't be particularly pronounced on a male, so it won't be testicle sticking out the back I don't think.

    I imagine input from someone with a skinny pig would be quite useful, as perhaps skinny pigs do have slightly different anatomy. Just a possibility.

    One of my females looks like she's in the middle also, but is definitely female.
    Just make sure he/she is separated for now in case
    I am not talking about on her underside. She has this lump sticking out of the back of her. Like the boy parts on the adult guinea pig would. They just don't look like boy or girl parts, so I am not sure.

  9. #9
    Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Princess_Piggie's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 10, 2013
    Location
    Liverpool, UK
    Posts
    3,377
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)
    Thanks
    316
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts

    Re: New Pig

    The lump sticking out the back on a male guinea pig would be testicles, however in the event she's female, I have no idea what that lump could be. Have you felt the lump? Is it solid, squishy, etc?

  10. #10
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Nov 14, 2013
    Posts
    426
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Thanks
    69
    Thanks
    25 Rec'd/22 Posts

    Re: New Pig

    Quote Originally Posted by Princess_Piggie View Post
    The lump sticking out the back on a male guinea pig would be testicles, however in the event she's female, I have no idea what that lump could be. Have you felt the lump? Is it solid, squishy, etc?
    I just felt it, and it is solid.

  11. #11
    Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Princess_Piggie's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 10, 2013
    Location
    Liverpool, UK
    Posts
    3,377
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)
    Thanks
    316
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts

    Re: New Pig

    Literally no 'squish' to it whatsoever? That COULD just be part of her skeleton, given that she's a skinny and her bones are likely more pronounced and visible than on a fluffy pig. I could be completely wrong though.

  12. #12
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Nov 14, 2013
    Posts
    426
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Thanks
    69
    Thanks
    25 Rec'd/22 Posts

    Re: New Pig

    Quote Originally Posted by Princess_Piggie View Post
    Literally no 'squish' to it whatsoever? That COULD just be part of her skeleton, given that she's a skinny and her bones are likely more pronounced and visible than on a fluffy pig. I could be completely wrong though.
    No, it is not completely solid. I mean it is not squishy like a gummibear. It has a little bit of squish to it. It is definitely not a bone.

  13. #13
    Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Princess_Piggie's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 10, 2013
    Location
    Liverpool, UK
    Posts
    3,377
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)
    Thanks
    316
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts

    Re: New Pig

    I have to admit then, without a photo, I'm clueless. When you post a picture hopefully we can all come to a conclusion

  14. #14
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Nov 14, 2013
    Posts
    426
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Thanks
    69
    Thanks
    25 Rec'd/22 Posts

    Re: New Pig

    Quote Originally Posted by Princess_Piggie View Post
    I have to admit then, without a photo, I'm clueless. When you post a picture hopefully we can all come to a conclusion
    I actually have a photo right now on my phone, however I can't get it to upload from my phone, using the tapatalk app. I also grabbed her and looked at her underside, and it looks like this photo. I couldn't hold her for long enough because she doesn't like my cold hands against her naked body. I saw the raise circle part, but I couldn't see if there was a nub in it like in the picture because I didn't have enough time.Name:  pig private part.PNG
Views: 60705
Size:  171.5 KB

  15. #15
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Nov 14, 2013
    Posts
    426
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Thanks
    69
    Thanks
    25 Rec'd/22 Posts

    Re: New Pig

    Quote Originally Posted by Princess_Piggie View Post
    I have to admit then, without a photo, I'm clueless. When you post a picture hopefully we can all come to a conclusion
    I know, I wish I could upload one. The one I have on my phone is of her backside and it shows the lump thing I am talking about. I will be able to take on in a couple of hours, but I have to figure out how to upload it.

  16. #16
    Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Princess_Piggie's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 10, 2013
    Location
    Liverpool, UK
    Posts
    3,377
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)
    Thanks
    316
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts

    Re: New Pig

    Well, that's a young male (obviously, haha!) However that also looks similar to my 6 month female, who is definitely female. Sexing so young is incredibly difficult, and a waiting game really until things are fully formed. Have you separated the skinny for the time being?

  17. #17
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    29,723
    Mentioned
    2118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4089 Post(s)
    Thanks
    214
    Thanks
    7,530 Rec'd/6,016 Posts

    Re: New Pig

    Separate them, and put a lid over the male's cage, or you're going to have pups. You can surely find something that goes over the top, even if it's a folded card table with some books on top to hold it down.

    You actually got that picture off Teresa' Cavyspirit site, and the pig is clearly labeled as a male. If your pig looks just like that, what is your question about it?

  18. #18
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Nov 14, 2013
    Posts
    426
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Thanks
    69
    Thanks
    25 Rec'd/22 Posts

    Re: New Pig

    Quote Originally Posted by Princess_Piggie View Post
    Well, that's a young male (obviously, haha!) However that also looks similar to my 6 month female, who is definitely female. Sexing so young is incredibly difficult, and a waiting game really until things are fully formed. Have you separated the skinny for the time being?
    I mentioned why I can't separate them, I don't have anything to use as a cover and they would get back in with my girls without a lid. Also I don't really see a point in separating them, I am actually sitting with them right now, as I always do. So the only reason that I could see to separate them would be is if they were trying to mount my girls, which they haven't at all. I can get them out and let her sit with me, but I am very cold and they don't like that. If they did try and mount my girls, I would separate them. I just worry that it is a boy and they aren't mounting them because my girls are a lot bigger than them. I will separate them after I post a photo if everyone thinks it is a boy.

  19. #19
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Nov 14, 2013
    Posts
    426
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Thanks
    69
    Thanks
    25 Rec'd/22 Posts

    Re: New Pig

    Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Separate them, and put a lid over the male's cage, or you're going to have pups. You can surely find something that goes over the top, even if it's a folded card table with some books on top to hold it down.

    You actually got that picture off Teresa' Cavyspirit site, and the pig is clearly labeled as a male. If your pig looks just like that, what is your question about it?
    Actually no I don't have anything to put over the cage, the only thing I could put over the cage is a blanket, but that didn't stop them the first night so it isn't going to stop them now. Also, I did get that from her site, and in my other post, I said that all I was able to see was the raised circle part. I wasn't able to see if there was a nub. I also can't have pups when none of my pigs are being mounted.

  20. #20
    Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Princess_Piggie's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 10, 2013
    Location
    Liverpool, UK
    Posts
    3,377
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)
    Thanks
    316
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts

    Re: New Pig

    Ah sorry, my bad, didn't notice you say that.

    I would encourage you to make a temporary cage though, out of a laundry basket or something, to be on the safe side. After all, you don't need any extra pups right?

    Just pop some fleece/bedding in a laundry basket, a pile of hay and a water bottle if you can attach one, and keep it away from the females cage. Since you're sitting with them you'll be able to control any climbing that goes on

User Tag List

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •