Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Is my piggy okay?

pandatoco

Cavy Slave
Biscuit is about 1-2 years old and lately has been sneezing. He also winces when i touch him on a certain place on his back.As well as one of his hands curls up a bit. He eats fine and Im not sure if I should be concerned about him or not. Any help would be great.
I also have him paired with a smaller pig which is more timid of him than anything. They do fight sometimes but I never witness what happens, only the sound, clicking and rumbling. Thanks in advance.

pandatoco

Cavy Slave
I forgot to mention he's been shedding hair quite a bit. And I feel he's a bit overweight. Here are some pictures of biscuit: buiscuit 039.jpgbuiscuit 038.jpgbuiscuit 037.jpgbuiscuit 036.jpgbuiscuit 035.jpg

pandatoco

Cavy Slave

dukestyles

Cavy Slave
I'm no pro but it looks to me like he could use a nail clipping and sounds like he has mites. I cant find invermectin here in Canada for mite treatment so I got my boys revolution. Hope he feels better soon.

Threepigsnacuy

Cavy Slave
I ditto everything duke styles says. I would clip his nails and treat him for mites. As far as the sneezing, is the hay or bedding you use for him dusty at all? Does he have any eye/nose discharge? Did the sneezing come after a change in environment? Could you take him to the vet?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto the mite treatment and the nail clipping.

Why do you think he's overweight? How much does he weigh? He doesn't look overweight to me.

pandatoco

Cavy Slave
I ditto everything duke styles says. I would clip his nails and treat him for mites. As far as the sneezing, is the hay or bedding you use for him dusty at all? Does he have any eye/nose discharge? Did the sneezing come after a change in environment? Could you take him to the vet?

Great thank you all very much. His nails have been clipped since and that seems much better. The hay doesnt seem to be very dusty, and I use carefresh bedding..So Im not sure if that's considered dusty.. He doesn't have any eye or nose discharge. And he used to sneeze a little bit. But it has gotten worse sense about a few weeks ago. We currently do not have an exotics vet near by.

pandatoco

Cavy Slave
Ditto the mite treatment and the nail clipping.

Why do you think he's overweight? How much does he weigh? He doesn't look overweight to me.
How exactly do you weigh a guinea pig? Also what qualities would make a piggy pair not a good match. Since he is currently homed with another pig, they fight occasionally but dont cuddle either. So Im not sure how I would know to separate them.

My_3_LittlePigs

Cavy Slave
How exactly do you weigh a guinea pig? Also what qualities would make a piggy pair not a good match. Since he is currently homed with another pig, they fight occasionally but dont cuddle either. So Im not sure how I would know to separate them.
Get a kitchen scale to weigh the pigs. I would assume two dominate piggies wouldn't make a good pair. If ur pigs aren't drawing blood when they fight, have plenty of room, 2 water bottles, 2 food bowls, and least 2 hidey houses with more then one entrance then they should be fine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.