Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fur Dandruff or mites? Does my guinea pig have dandruff or mites?

Apseybaby

Cavy Slave
Hello,
I picked up 2 guinea pigs today from someone that was traveling across country. When I got them home I noticed one of them has white specks on him. Im Afraid to put them in with my other guinea pigs until I find out what it is. Is it dandruff or mites. Someone said it could be lice eggs.
I was told to get something called Ivermectin to treat just in case
I posted a couple pictures, Please tell me what you think 020.jpg021.jpg1227131124.jpg

dukestyles

Cavy Slave
My piggy looks just like yours coat wise and he also jas these white specs. I noticed yesterday when I was brushing him.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
First, read this--
https://www.guinealynx.info/parasites.html

It looks like dandruff to me, which can be caused from lice or mites, or dry skin. I recommend treating with ivermectin first.

This time of the year when it's so cold outside and everyone has their heaters running, the air gets very dry, which can cause dry skin. You might try a humidifier in the room.

Apseybaby

Cavy Slave
Would this be it?
(broken link removed)

Apseybaby

Cavy Slave
Also after I get the stuff & use it. How long do I have to wait too put them in with my others?

bruna

Cavy Slave
Hey [MENTION=28655]Apseybaby[/MENTION], do you have any updates?

I just noticed that both my piggies have dandruff. :( I checked their skins for any signal of irritation, but I didn't find anything abnormal. I don't think they have any parasites, they've been acting normal and look just fine (no patches). I will try the coconut oil to see if it will improve.

I noticed the other thread about dandruff also came up in December, so maybe it does have to do with the winter and dry weather. It's been pretty dry here in Southern California.

Apseybaby

Cavy Slave
I think it was just dandruff. I combed some flakes on a black piece of paper & I saw nothing moving. They aren't Scratching & neither at my others I put them with so im guessing it was just dandruff.

Hey @Apseybaby , do you have any updates?

I just noticed that both my piggies have dandruff. :( I checked their skins for any signal of irritation, but I didn't find anything abnormal. I don't think they have any parasites, they've been acting normal and look just fine (no patches). I will try the coconut oil to see if it will improve.

I noticed the other thread about dandruff also came up in December, so maybe it does have to do with the winter and dry weather. It's been pretty dry here in Southern California.

bruna

Cavy Slave
Thanks!

To be honest, I don't brush them as much as I should. I will try brushing more often to see if natural oils will keep the problem away.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.