Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits dog proof rabbit cage

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
After they've been good with the cage closed, I proceed to the submissive dog step. I make the dog lie prone (head down too) while I open the cage door and allow bunnies to hop out on their own. The rabbits can approach as they feel comfortable and the dog has to stay down the whole time. This teaches him that he is to be submissive.
2.jpg
Of course, initially, I am sitting right there with the dog to ensure he stays put. This photo was taken just to show the pose he needs to be in.
In time we increase what the dog can do based on how the two react to each other.
2a.jpg

As they progress...
3.jpg

And ultimately he learns to stay down and leave bunnies alone even if they are active right nearby (and, oh so tempting)...
6.jpg

My_3_LittlePigs

Cavy Slave
After they've been good with the cage closed, I proceed to the submissive dog step. I make the dog lie prone (head down too) while I open the cage door and allow bunnies to hop out on their own. The rabbits can approach as they feel comfortable and the dog has to stay down the whole time. This teaches him that he is to be submissive.
View attachment 58872
Of course, initially, I am sitting right there with the dog to ensure he stays put. This photo was taken just to show the pose he needs to be in.
In time we increase what the dog can do based on how the two react to each other.
View attachment 58873

As they progress...
View attachment 58874

And ultimately he learns to stay down and leave bunnies alone even if they are active right nearby (and, oh so tempting)...
View attachment 58875

That's great dog training! And it's so cute to see the dog with the bunnies. That's a cute bunch you have. :)

cheshirekris

Cavy Slave
I wasn't pulling the leash but I thought it would be better than holding his collar. My dog has also met my other rabbit and been fine. He was also reprimanded as soon as he started whining. She has calmed down and doesn't hide from him much. I think the sudden change of environment was to much and I really should have left her. Thank you for the advice I do't if I'll be able to get to having them hop around him until he gets older and is a little less rambunctious.

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
thanks! @ My 3 Littlepigs

Good luck to you, cheshirekris. Have you made the cage you were going to make?

cheshirekris

Cavy Slave
Yep we didn't get linoleum yet but we raised the table so the cage could be higher.

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
Great! Would love to see a pic of your bunnies sometime.

cheshirekris

Cavy Slave
Hopefully I can upload pictures soon. (I have been saying I will but have had some problems.)

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I am soo sorry it took me so long to post back! Been doing some (very) belated christmas wrapping all day haha.

Anyway, I'll PM you about the taming so as we can talk properly about your dog and what you'd be comfortable doing :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.