Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Olive "lost" her wheek?

pocketmonster

Cavy Slave
Hey guys!

I have a little question.

Recently (as in, within the past 6 months), Olive's loud demanding wheek (the one she uses to beg for food) has become raspy. She can't wheek loudly anymore, no matter how hard she tries. She makes all the other noises, and even tries to wheek for food, but it's like the wheek just disappeared. She seems to be annoyed when she tries to wheek but can't, and that just breaks my heart. She's eating, pooping, drinking and playing like normal, and she recently went to the vet who gave her a clean bill of health. She's almost 2 years old.

After researching, I found that this is somewhat "common", but I wanted to open another thread in case someone else had another thought on the matter.

Can a guinea pig really just "lose" their wheek? It's always been a little puny, but before it was at least something.

Thanks!

:)

pinky

Cavy Slave
Hey guys!

I have a little question.

Recently (as in, within the past 6 months), Olive's loud demanding wheek (the one she uses to beg for food) has become raspy. She can't wheek loudly anymore, no matter how hard she tries. She makes all the other noises, and even tries to wheek for food, but it's like the wheek just disappeared. She seems to be annoyed when she tries to wheek but can't, and that just breaks my heart. She's eating, pooping, drinking and playing like normal, and she recently went to the vet who gave her a clean bill of health. She's almost 2 years old.

After researching, I found that this is somewhat "common", but I wanted to open another thread in case someone else had another thought on the matter.

Can a guinea pig really just "lose" their wheek? It's always been a little puny, but before it was at least something.

Thanks!

:)

I have one that can't wheek, either. A breathy sound comes out when she tries. She's a really flat faced teddy so I think it probably has to do with her short nasal cavity. She sort of reminds me of Pekingese dog, French Bulldog or Boston terrier. I noticed that sometimes they have raspy barks, too. She's over 5 years old and healthy so I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Liviebrew1

Cavy Slave
That is how one of my pigs are too! I thought it was so weird, but he seems to have a lot of genetic defects so maybe that's why. I do not think it is an illness though because my pig has had this since the rescue got him.

dukestyles

Cavy Slave
My texel does the same. A raspy little attempt. I think its super cute :)

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Mine doesnt wheek at all, I know he can but he just doesnt. I miss his wheeks though... Im not sure why hes stopped.
Yours probably has some genetic wheeking syndrome :p

CallieLovesPigs

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
My pig is the same, nothing to worry about. :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
My texel does the same. A raspy little attempt. I think its super cute :)

Texels have that same kind of round or flat face that teddies do so it makes sense.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
My teddy mix also has a raspy sound instead of a wheek. He doesn't squeak much either, he's a very quiet piggy.

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
Curly, my teddy pig, doesn't wheek as much as she used to, but she sounds like she has to try really hard when she does. Kwee (short-hair) on the other hand, is still as loud and clear as my fire alarm.

Magewrite

Cavy Slave
It's probably nothing to worry about, but I would have a vet check her teeth, if they didn't do it last time, sometime soon to make sure it's not due to her teeth overlapping her tongue, which has happened and caused a dampening of the wheeking sound.

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
I think that as long as she's otherwise fine and has NO breathing issues, then it's okay. :)

pippi

Cavy Slave
My cute girl is like this in the morning. I like to think of it at morning voice haha

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
My cute girl is like this in the morning. I like to think of it at morning voice haha
I always hear that withh mine too! And then their wheeks get stronger. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.