Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    27 Rec'd/26 Posts

Exclamation new guinea lots of issues

Ok so please do not yell at me. I know better, but I could not help it. My husband and I went into that fish place that pet place to get some hay. We always look at the animals because I love them. Well they had two that were brought in by customers and of course they charge 13 for them. I asked the lady when and why they were brought back. The one 4month old was brought back in after a week of owning due to the kids not taking care of it. Then there was Nyles brought back in ib Sunday because they didn't want him anymore. My heart clenched because I know they don't care about them. I asked avout medical history and what they fed him, but of course they didn't know. My husband noticed right away that his nails had not been clipped in a LONG time! Pretty sure he has a URI. His grease gland was disguisting.
    When I got him home I cleaned him up cut his nails and noticed a calus looking thing that looked like an upside down toenail and was attached to the bottom of his foot. It is just skin. His nails are crooked and I gave him veggies which he hasn't touched yet.
    Before anyone asks I have him in qaurentine and I am making a vet appointment as soon as possible.
    I know I shouldn't of bought him, but my heary could not stand b leaving him like that. He is so sweet. And I wanted him to get taken care of.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131217_204301.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	58742  

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    144 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    185 Rec'd/162 Posts

Re: new guinea lots of issues

So pretty!! Thank you for saving him.
    Do you have a pic of the callus? Tofu had one, long story, but it finally ot removed.

3. "Thank you, GuineaPigster, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Princess_Piggie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts

What a sweetie!
    I don't think anyone would blame you for bringing that poor piggie home, we're all human and all want to rescue the pet store pigs. My two girls are pet store pigs but if I ever increase the herd, I'll adopt :)

Anyway, given the lack of appetite I'd say there's definitely something wrong there, possible URI like you say, is he eating hay/pellets? Or just not eating at all?

5. "Thank you, Princess_Piggie, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Quoted
    266 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    546 Rec'd/460 Posts

The thing you described on his foot sounds like a spur that had not been trimmed in a long time, you can Google images of spurs and see if that is what it looks like. http://www.guinealynx.info/feet.html this link has information about spurs at the very bottom of the page.

Hopefully his vet trip goes well.

7. "Thank you, Soecara, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    144 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    185 Rec'd/162 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Soecara View Post
    The thing you described on his foot sounds like a spur that had not been trimmed in a long time, you can Google images of spurs and see if that is what it looks like. http://www.guinealynx.info/feet.html this link has information about spurs at the very bottom of the page.

Hopefully his vet trip goes well.
    Sounds very accurate. :)

Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    356 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    582 Rec'd/536 Posts

Aww what a cutie pie. I don't blame you for taking him in even if he was in a pet store. And I don't think anyone else will either. My guinea pig came from super pet and she is so sweet. I would of done the same thing after hearing a story like that. After all we're only human.

Good luck with him and I hope he comes back from the vet with a clean bill of health. He is very cute stories like that break my heart. Those parents really should of thought more about what they were doing. You can expect small children to take proper care of a animal all on their own.

10. "Thank you, Starthecavy123, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    51 Rec'd/47 Posts

Aww.. he's so cute! 2 of my pigs are pet store pigs. Any pig that needs a home is a good candidate in my opinion. :-) I'm sure he's happy that he found you..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    27 Rec'd/26 Posts

He is eating pellets and hay and I will try to get a picture of his feet

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    27 Rec'd/26 Posts

Sorry its not a great picture
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131217_213938.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	58743  

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    27 Rec'd/26 Posts

Well the vet took care of the spurs. Everything else checked out. I only have one concern, the vet said his teeth were fine. Nyle's mouth is always hanging open a bit (the vet said since he can shut it completely he's fine.) No drool or signs of being uncomfortable. He doesn't eat a ton. He gets excited for his veggies, but lets them sit and he slowly eats them through the day. He won't eat any veggie except lettuce. Should I be concerned?

15. "Thank you, Fick2010, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    31 Rec'd/23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fick2010 View Post
    Well the vet took care of the spurs. Everything else checked out. I only have one concern, the vet said his teeth were fine. Nyle's mouth is always hanging open a bit (the vet said since he can shut it completely he's fine.) No drool or signs of being uncomfortable. He doesn't eat a ton. He gets excited for his veggies, but lets them sit and he slowly eats them through the day. He won't eat any veggie except lettuce. Should I be concerned?
    He is probably not use to being cared for so well. My timid girl that I got 3 weeks ago has totally come out of her shell. She's trusting and even vocalizing her wants. She was very shy at first and would not eat everything offered to her. Sometimes they don't like certain things. Mine are picky. I think once he gets used to being pampered he will show his true personality!

17. "Thank you, Matchamom, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    27 Rec'd/26 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Matchamom View Post
    He is probably not use to being cared for so well. My timid girl that I got 3 weeks ago has totally come out of her shell. She's trusting and even vocalizing her wants. She was very shy at first and would not eat everything offered to her. Sometimes they don't like certain things. Mine are picky. I think once he gets used to being pampered he will show his true personality!
    I appreciate the advice. I just worry about the poor guy. He comes up to the cage to greet me when I come in. So I think he's getting better.

19. "Thank you, Fick2010, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    144 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    185 Rec'd/162 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fick2010 View Post
    I think he's probably still settling in. Albert's mouth also hangs open the tiniest tad.

User Tag List