Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits Rabbit or guinea pig for me?

Cheerfulangel2

Cavy Slave
My dog has recently passed this summer and we were really close to him as he's been around for 14+ years so he's been with me all my life. Before he passed my mom told me I could get a pet because I inquired I wanted guinea pigs but recently iv started wanting rabbits. Iv been trying to decide what would be better. Now that I don't have a dog or any pets for that matter getting along wouldn't be a problem. The rabbit would most likely be free ranged if I could successfully litter train him and get a rug for my room. Yet I still would like guinea pigs because I think there adorable and might be easier for me to care for yet I like a challenge! I'm not necessarily looking for a pet to hold and cuddle it would be nice but I'd be okay with holding him/her occasionally and playing with them as I know rabbits don't really like to be held. I also need to know if I need 1 or 2 rabbits? Basically I just need help deciding and knowing more about rabbits as I know tons about guinea pigs. Thanks!

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
honestly i feel that rabbits are a better choice, especially if you were used to a dog. cuddliness really depends on the individual animal.

the only issue with a free range rabbit is their love for biting any electrical wires exposed. nevermind they got a nasty shock once, some would do it again. so unless you're prepared to secure your room or home area, then guinea pigs are a better choice here.

Cheerfulangel2

Cavy Slave
Well I was thinking that I could rabbit proof my room. I'm not sure what to do about letting it go anywhere else in the house since we not have hardwood floors? If I could get that fixed I could rabbit proof the whole house. @Varcoda

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs definitely require more care than a free range rabbit. I ultimately choose guinea pigs for 4 reasons. 1) I've always had free range animals like cats, dogs and a bunny so I wanted something I would have to 'baby' a bit more. 2) The cuddle factor was big for me and in my experience no matter how cuddly they look bunnies aren't to fond of it and most guinea pigs love to cuddle. 3) The social aspect was something I needed, bunnies don't make a lot of sounds so you can't really "talk" with them and guinea pigs make a TON of fun noises. Since I was getting a new animal for company, I wanted one that was more social. 4) I've wanted and been obsessed with guinea pigs for over seven years, as much as I LOVE bun buns, it's not the same feeling. I had one when I was younger and I loved him but for me personally, guinea pigs are a lot more fun. Later in my life I'm sure I'll get another bunny but for my situation right now, guinea pigs were a better fit. In the end, it's about which one you've wanted the longest and which one you feel a bit more strongly about. To me it sounds like you've really been wanting guinea pigs. But the choice is yours, they are both lovely animals. :) Hope this helped a little.

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
I find rabbits to be far less maintenance than guinea pigs. My rabbits are free range so their cage door is left open all day.

On the other hand, while I spend more time sweeping up after the piggies, I do like that the piggies will sit on my lap.

One thing you may want to factor into your decision is your current age coupled with your future plans. Since rabbits can live 10 years or more, what would happen, for instance, if you are now in high school and plan to go off to college in a few years? Would your parents be willing to take over the care?

It may be that a piggie's life span might fit better with where you are right now.

If you do decide to go with a rabbit, I'd very highly recommend getting an already fixed rabbit from a rabbit rescue. With these rabbits, their personality is more evident and you'll get to avoid the hormonal period and the vet costs for spay/neuter surgery. If you'd like to learn more about rabbits, you could browse around my rabbit site that is about indoor rabbits. Just click here.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I find rabbits to be far less maintenance than guinea pigs. My rabbits are free range so their cage door is left open all day.

On the other hand, while I spend more time sweeping up after the piggies, I do like that the piggies will sit on my lap.

One thing you may want to factor into your decision is your current age coupled with your future plans. Since rabbits can live 10 years or more, what would happen, for instance, if you are now in high school and plan to go off to college in a few years? Would your parents be willing to take over the care?

It may be that a piggie's life span might fit better with where you are right now.

If you do decide to go with a rabbit, I'd very highly recommend getting an already fixed rabbit from a rabbit rescue. With these rabbits, their personality is more evident and you'll get to avoid the hormonal period and the vet costs for spay/neuter surgery. If you'd like to learn more about rabbits, you could browse around my rabbit site that is about indoor rabbits. Just click here.

When cared for correctly, guinea pigs can surpass the age of 8 years.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
You said you lived with your parents. If you're younger what are your plans for college? Rabbits live longer than guinea pigs. This may be something to consider if you plan on going into student housing. You may also want to take into consideration that your future room makes may not want a free ranging bunny hopping about.

One of the biggest differences I have found between rabbits and guinea pigs is that if you're too busy to play with or interact with your guinea pigs they will be just fine as long as you have 2 or more. Rabbits on the other hand want your attention when they want it and if you can't give it to them they get unhappy about it.

Cheerfulangel2

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs definitely require more care than a free range rabbit. I ultimately choose guinea pigs for 4 reasons. 1) I've always had free range animals like cats, dogs and a bunny so I wanted something I would have to 'baby' a bit more. 2) The cuddle factor was big for me and in my experience no matter how cuddly they look bunnies aren't to fond of it and most guinea pigs love to cuddle. 3) The social aspect was something I needed, bunnies don't make a lot of sounds so you can't really "talk" with them and guinea pigs make a TON of fun noises. Since I was getting a new animal for company, I wanted one that was more social. 4) I've wanted and been obsessed with guinea pigs for over seven years, as much as I LOVE bun buns, it's not the same feeling. I had one when I was younger and I loved him but for me personally, guinea pigs are a lot more fun. Later in my life I'm sure I'll get another bunny but for my situation right now, guinea pigs were a better fit. In the end, it's about which one you've wanted the longest and which one you feel a bit more strongly about. To me it sounds like you've really been wanting guinea pigs. But the choice is yours, they are both lovely animals. :) Hope this helped a little.

Thanks so much this has definitely helped me thinking about what you said with the cuddling factor because cuddling does sort of matter to me a lot more than I thought it would thinking about not being able to is something I have to think about and like you said the many noises that guinea pigs have could also be something I care about! Thank you so much for telling me some of these things that I have forgotten to think about!

Cheerfulangel2

Cavy Slave

Thanks so much I will check out your website and try to find a fixed rabbit as that shouldn't be hard because I have a rabbit rescue near me which has lots of available rabbits to choose from! Would that mean I'd have to get 2 rabbits or just one? Actually my mom said she would look after whatever animal I chose even into college as I'm currently in high school now so I will be graduating and going to college in a few years so that wouldn't be an issue. Yeah I'm going to think about how I might want lap time.

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
Rabbits do better in pairs. If you have a rabbit rescue near you they probably already have bonded pairs you can adopt. Bonding rabbits can be very difficult so it would be best to adopt a pair that is already bonded.

Cheerfulangel2

Cavy Slave
You said you lived with your parents. If you're younger what are your plans for college? Rabbits live longer than guinea pigs. This may be something to consider if you plan on going into student housing. You may also want to take into consideration that your future room makes may not want a free ranging bunny hopping about.

One of the biggest differences I have found between rabbits and guinea pigs is that if you're too busy to play with or interact with your guinea pigs they will be just fine as long as you have 2 or more. Rabbits on the other hand want your attention when they want it and if you can't give it to them they get unhappy about it.

My mom said she would care for whatever pet I chose at the time that was a guinea pig at home even when I'm gone for college so that part isn't an issue because I could always go home to visit the bunny daily if I live on campus which I may not even do. Yeah that's something I as well have forgotten about and need to think on thanks for bringing that up!

Cheerfulangel2

Cavy Slave
Rabbits do better in pairs. If you have a rabbit rescue near you they probably already have bonded pairs you can adopt. Bonding rabbits can be very difficult so it would be best to adopt a pair that is already bonded.

Yes they do have several bonded pairs to choose from well I'll just have to decide between those thanks!

Schweitz

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure about rabbits but I know you can teach guinea pigs tricks. It's adorable. I've taught mine to beg and spin in a circle and he'll go where I point sometimes. You can teach them anything with patience. And like other people said, they make adorable little sounds and are cuddly. :)

Cheerfulangel2

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much for your comment all of this is making me lean towards a guinea pig for the cuddling factor manly but I didn't know you could really teach guinea pigs tricks which is also a big plus for me so thanks for telling me! @Schweitz

rsgymjam

Cavy Slave
Oh their tricks are adorable!!! Look it up on youtube!
Lemme tell ya- my one cat picked up being trained to go up on his hind legs pronto, but my other one still cant figure out how to "circle" :) they do tricks only for treats though!!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Whether you choose rabbits or guinea pigs, get a pair, and get them from a rescue.

You might want to read up on house rabbits--
www.rabbit.org

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I think I'd always steer younger people who still live with their parents away from getting rabbits, just because you could get the most well behaved bunny on earth, or you could a bun with a secret 666 birthmark who destroys the walls, the carpet, the furniture, electrical equipment, etc. I know they are the two extremes, but if your parents aren't okay with both those possibilities, then maybe a pair of piggies are for you. Also rabbits need to be neutered, especially females, and vaccinated too. A same sex pair of piggies just need to be.

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
Yes, I second Stray Hares, some rabbits are down right destructive!

Here is something I wrote comparing the two a while ago.

My experience and opinion as a long term rabbit and guinea pig owner, I have had guinea pigs on and off for 20 years and rabbits for 13, is that rabbits are much more difficult to care for than guinea pigs.

1. Rabbits are smarter than guinea pigs. There are some very smart guinea pigs out there but on average I believe it is safe to say that rabbits are smarter than guinea pigs. Rabbits can be trained to do tricks and use a litter box. Most guinea pigs simply cannot do this.

2. Rabbits are mischievous animals. You put up a blockade they spend the next half an hour trying to tear it down. They know there must be something good behind it! Like nummy wires to chew! For guinea pigs you put up a blockade and they just accept that is where their space ends. I have one guinea pig that will chew or try to push his way through but if he doesn't make it in the first few tries he gives up.

3. Rabbits chew!! Some more than others but nothing is safe from rabbit teeth. Carpet, wires, base boards, whatever it is most rabbits need to be trained NOT to destroy it. Guinea pigs generally leave these things alone. They just do not have an interest in gnawing a hole through your drywall.

4. Rabbits need more space. They are bigger and build differently. They also need enough space to stand up and it helps if they have multiple levels to jump on. Guinea pigs just need one flat continued space. They don't seem to really enjoying sitting on top of things but they can use multiple levels.

5. Rabbits need more attention than guinea pigs. Rabbits seem to be more sociable towards humans than guinea pigs. They need and want attention from their owners. Most guinea pigs only crave human attention if that human comes bearing food. Out of all the guinea pigs I have had over the years only 3 sought out human attention if you didn't have food.

6. Guinea pigs need a guinea pig friend, rabbits can be happy with just a human friend but do better in pairs. If you work, go to school or are gone for long periods in a day a companion is a must for a rabbit.

7. Rabbits smell more than guinea pigs. Something about rabbit urine just smells worse than guinea pigs. More ammonia probably.

8. There is no such thing as guinea pig proofing your house. For free time guinea pigs will be happy running around your kitchen or in a blocked off area elsewhere. They do not need free range or a whole room just a big space for them to run around and play. Rabbit proofing is a whole house or room undertaking and for some rabbits it can be a constant battle as the rabbit figures out how to undo your rabbit proofing and you need to out think the bunny.

9. If I were to rate the level of care a guinea pig requires on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the most care, 1 the least) I would put them on a 4.5. They need daily attention and require a special diet, they require a big cage that needs daily cleaning but they are still relatively easy to care for. They do not require training and if you are busy one day and can't spend much time with them they are still pretty happy being guinea pigs all on their own.

10. If I were to rate the level of care a rabbit requires on the same scale I would put them at 7 or 8. Rabbits require all the same things as a guinea pig plus training, free space, rabbit proofing, toys, neutering and other vet care, etc.

The above list is my personal experience and opinions on rabbit care vs. guinea pig care or at least the biggest differences.

Here are a few threads you should probably read through:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/92746-We-are-considering-a-rabbit-info-needed!

https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...bit-care?highlight=compare guinea pigs rabbit

Rayen

Cavy Slave
I agree with Inle_Rabbit. Rabbits are a lot more work than guinea pigs and can require just so, so much time. If you get the wrong rabbit (like I did) you're going to be constantly readjusting your rabbit proofing. You're going to be looking for new corners that are perfect bathrooms (even though they are litter box trained and haven't ever decided that corner was perfect before). You're going to have to keep an eye out for any kind of potential rabbit snack (your favourite sweater a teeny bit too close to a little rabbit nose? it's likely a new rabbit snack).

Rabbits are great pets, don't get my wrong, but I personally think they're just as much work (if not more so on some days) as a fairly energetic dog. You're going to need to really commit to spending hours a day with them because if you're not watching them, they're likely doing something fairly evil. It makes it difficult to say you're going to go out with friends for the night, or maybe even go for a trip during the weekend because you really need to have someone around that really understands just how much work it can be to take care of them while you're not there.

Guinea pigs are a lot less work. They do require quite a bit of work, of course, just not nearly as much as rabbits. I do a general poop sweep of the guinea pig cages twice a day or so, restock their hay and make vegetables. They come out for a bit of floor time here or there, but I don't have to painstakingly watch for them to destroy new barriers or to decide that maybe the walls are delicious today. I don't put nearly as much time or effort into finding healthy things for them to chew as I do the rabbits (though they do reap the benefits!). I'm not sure if it really applies; but I also find that getting cute accessories for guinea pigs is also much easier, as I don't have to panic over spending 10-20 dollars on something they'll destroy within an hour (the rabbits get a lot of free boxes and free pinecones to chew on).

mommida

Cavy Slave
Rabbits are like 2 year-olds with a knack for T R O U B L E. They seek out trouble. They can break out of cages.

As for the relationship, it depends how much time you put in. Now I will tell you my daughter's rabbit loves Cheerios. Not too many, just as an earned treat during training.

Guinea pigs love to eat, cuddle, and are much more content critters.

A mess is a mess, but rabbit urine smells worse.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.