Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Cage for 2 to cage for 3

Silverwind

Cavy Slave
So after our boy, George, passed away, we took in a pair of boys named RC and Wally as new friends for Gobo. So we have gone from 2 boys in a 2x4 cage, to 3. I was thinking I would build a new cage, 3x5, and turn the old cage into a second floor. Any suggestions how I can do this? They definitely need space, because the 2 new guys will fight if they feel too crowded, and they won't share a hidey so there needs to be 3. We only needed one big one before because George and Gobo never fought and would snuggle together peacefully.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I'm very sorry for your loss.

A new 3x5 cage sounds good for 3 boys. They should be very happy with the space.

If you put 2x4 loft over the cage, it will be pretty hard to clean under. If you overhang the loft, or put it over on the side, it might make it easier to clean the main cage.

Here are some samples.

On the side. The loft in the pic is only 2x2.
(broken link removed)

Overhang

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Lissie has an excellent idea there. I think it's @Traysea that not only has an overhanging loft, but has a kitchen underneath it as well which provides extra 'rooms' for her piggies to explore.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Another idea. This one has storage on the side.

3x5_2x4loft.jpg

3x5_2x4loft2.jpg

Silverwind

Cavy Slave
Thanks, Lissie, George was my favorite, sweet and gentle. I really like that second design, I'll have to see if I can fit it into the room they will be living room. Another option I have is an old Degu cage that I have, I know it's too high for the piggies, but I could lay it on it's side and just take out all the ramps and perches. I never thought to do overhang like that, it's smart, I will have to incorporate it.
*plus cutting an entry in the side of the 2x4 would be much easier then rigging a ramp to a hole cut into the floor.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.