Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Flower has a red ring behind her ear. What is it?

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
Something happened to Flower when I was at the vet with Flicker. I get home and see Flower has what looks like a scratch mark behind her ear. She has no hair behind her ear like guineas sometimes get. The mark was in the middle. like a bite almost. I put triple antibiotic in case it was from the guinea pig, Mouse.

Next day, the mark is gone, but Flower has a red ring around her bald spot behind her ear. What is going on?

IMG_0184.jpg

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
IMG_0181.jpg
This one is blurry, but maybe you can see the ring and redness better.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I was gonna say ring worm but am not sure now...

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It could be a fungus, of which ringworm is just one. I'd put a little Nystatin or Mycostatin on it for a day or so and see if it improves.

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
How do I make sure they don't eat it or lick on her medicine.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just put a tiny dab on a Q-tip and rub it in well. Antifungals aren't as bad if they're ingested as antibiotics.

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
Ok, I'll do that tonight (broken link removed).

I was worried it was ringworm too (broken link removed). I'll let you all know what happens.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Poor flower
Yes please keep us updated.

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
Flower, Flicker, and Mouse have fungus. Is hay to blame?

Flower had what looked like ringworm 4 months ago and I treated it with Monistat or something like that and it went away. The others were not affected.

She has it again! Now all three have it! I treated with yeast infection cream and it kept the fungus at a steady state, but didn't really cure them in a week. So I took Flower to the vet and she now has Miconol 1% liquid and the vet gave her a mite injection Ivermectin, just in case. The two others are going into the vet tomorrow for their injections.

Why does this keep happening? I sterilized the cage, got rid of the wooden hidey, washed fleece in hot water and tea tree oil. First it was only Flower, but she gave it to the others and it came back in such a short time.

The vet believes fresh hay is the problem and is bringing in ecoparasites. Oxbow heat treats their hay so the parasites are killed off, but my KMS is probably not. (at least what the vet said) I would like info on the hay comment and wonder if I should post anywhere else?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
It's a good idea to treat with ivermectin just in case it's mites. Each pig will need three treatments, each a week apart. However, you don't need to have a vet do it. You can do it yourself orally or topically.

If it is indeed fungal, then it's possible that it wasn't totally gone the first time. Fungal infections are highly contagious. I'm not familiar with Miconol liquid--is it something you give orally? The ingredient, Miconazole, is what's in Monistat (cream fungal/yeast medication).

And no, mites and/or fungal infections are not carried in hay. A guinea pig can only get mites from another guinea pig that has mites.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
@foggycreekcavy, there is actually a type of fungus that can be carried in hay. https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/guide/sporotrichosis

Sporotrichosis is a fungal infection that can be caught (by humans) from hay, however I have no idea if it would be the same kind of fungus that causes ringworm. I believe it's only carried if the hay is mouldy, so it would have to be stored incorrectly or be delivered that way I think, to develop the mould/fungus.

I only know because my GP at one point thought a skin problem I'm having was sporotrichosis, since I have hay around constantly and all. Thankfully it wasn't though.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Interesting. I'll have to look into it. I doubt if it's ringworm, though. Do you know if it only affects people?

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
I know it can effect cats and dogs. Some cats (and armadillos?!) even pass it to humans, through little scratches etc. It's a cross-species issue, I know that much.

It can be inhaled, and it can be transmitted through touch too. Having dry, cracked skin on your hands then picking up hay, or having one of those sharp pieces poke you and break the skin a little can transmit it too.

This has reminded me I need to do something about the black mould in my bedroom, so it's a good job this got brought up actually haha!

Rywen

Cavy Slave
@Princess_Piggie don't mess around with black mold, it can make you very sick. Time for bleach, and wear gloves and a filter face mask when cleaning it.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
@Rywen, I have to be completely honest, it's been there over a couple of months now. My mum had it in her old bedroom and she got rid of it ASAP, and since she moved out things like this just don't get taken care of. I have very little disregard for my own health, always have, it takes me ages to get round to booking blood tests, picking up prescriptions etc for myself. I'll have to ask my mum to come over this weekend and help me do it, there's a huge wooden chest of drawers in front of it that it took four moving guys to get in to my room....possibly part of the reason I've been putting it off haha!

ETA - Also thank you for caring enough to give me a kick up the butt to finally get it taken care of :)

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
The vet said we could do cultures to find out if it is ringworm, but didn't think it was necessary because she would treat it the same.

I did think there was a bunch of hay that smelled a bit off, maybe that did have some mold or fungus on it.They only had one serving of it because it was at the bottom of hay box. I will double check my storage area (basement) to make sure it isn't too humid. I may check with KMS about their storage because I have been geting the hay from them for over a year and it is now just having issues.

I will check if the vet would get oral Ivermectin, just because it would be easier on the girls. I'll have to check online to see if I feel comfortable enough giving them it myself. Certainly not an injection!

Thanks everyone! I always know I can count on this forum to give me the best information.

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed) I spelled it wrong. It is Miconosol. It is strictly topical to affected area.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
@Princess_Piggie it is dangerous. I had some in my basement and we did have to wear rubber gloves, facemasks, and use bleach. It didn't come back but you need to be careful with it. Are your pigs in your room where the mold is? Maybe move their cage/them (either one) while you scrub it away.

gatorgirl

Cavy Slave
The vet said we could do cultures to find out if it is ringworm, but didn't think it was necessary because she would treat it the same.

I did think there was a bunch of hay that smelled a bit off, maybe that did have some mold or fungus on it.They only had one serving of it because it was at the bottom of hay box. I will double check my storage area (basement) to make sure it isn't too humid. I may check with KMS about their storage because I have been geting the hay from them for over a year and it is now just having issues.

I will check if the vet would get oral Ivermectin, just because it would be easier on the girls. I'll have to check online to see if I feel comfortable enough giving them it myself. Certainly not an injection!

Thanks everyone! I always know I can count on this forum to give me the best information.

Also, don't store your hay in a plastic bag. When I order it it comes in a plastic bag inside a cardboard box. I dump the plastic bag out into the box to prevent molding and whatnot. Plastic does not keep it fresher -- quite the opposite.

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
Also, don't store your hay in a plastic bag. When I order it it comes in a plastic bag inside a cardboard box. I dump the plastic bag out into the box to prevent molding and whatnot. Plastic does not keep it fresher -- quite the opposite.

Thanks gatorgirl, but we do take the plastic bag out. I appreciate your comment though :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.