Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    45 Rec'd/33 Posts

Water bottle woes

At first I thought maybe I had bought a terrible water bottle, every so often I would go and check the area around the bottle and it would be sopping wet. There were a few days where the bottle would just drain completely. So I got rid of it, tried another one that I have used before for my rats with absolutely no problems. The same thing was happening. Water on the floor of the cage, water on my floor, water everywhere.

My skinny pig chews at his bottle. He shoves the ball at the end up and water just pours out all over the place. I've tried a few other brands that I had lying around and it's much the same story so far. Bottles I had no problem with while using for other small animals, no major dripping issues or anything.

Does anyone know of a decent water bottle that isn't going to just spurt water everywhere?

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Quoted
    342 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    576 Rec'd/445 Posts

Re: Water bottle woes

I use plastic bottles. You have to make sure to fill them up, not totally full though. Leave some space to the top. Then with the metal spout facing up, create a vacuum in it. Do this by gently and slowly squeezing the bottle. Water should not come out, if it does open the cap and try again. You should hear a little airy noise when you do this. When you turn the bottle upside down, make sure the ball is in place at the end of the tip. Took me awhile to figure this out as I thought I had leaky bottles when in fact I wasn't creating a little vacuum in them. If he's chewing on the plastic then maybe try a glass bottle. If it's just not working, you may have to go to a water bowl, which you would need to change the water at least daily as debris and stuff will get in it. When I was going nuts with the water bottles, I did try the water bowl and my girl seemed to prefer to not drink. I'm thinking she thought there's nothing in there or she was afraid to put her nose in it, kind of like pigs who hate water on them/bathing.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    163 Rec'd/88 Posts

I use the Lixit Flip Top bottle for my gerbil and have no issues with leaking. It also has a different type of drinking mechanism, a 'pin,' instead of the usual ball. If your skinny is able to figure out how to use the bottle, I think it would solve your problem. Here's the link: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...3&pcatid=22183

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    45 Rec'd/33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WheekingPiggies View Post
    I use the Lixit Flip Top bottle for my gerbil and have no issues with leaking. It also has a different type of drinking mechanism, a 'pin,' instead of the usual ball. If your skinny is able to figure out how to use the bottle, I think it would solve your problem. Here's the link: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...3&pcatid=22183
    That does look like it would solve my problem!

Have you tried it with guinea pigs at all? I'm wondering how difficult it would be to get him to use it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rayen View Post
    That does look like it would solve my problem!

Have you tried it with guinea pigs at all? I'm wondering how difficult it would be to get him to use it.
    I used this as my first bottle for my piggies, but changed it within a week. The pin mechanism helped in completely eliminating drips, however it also eliminated water coming out as a reasonable speed. I noticed I had to hold the pin down for some time before any water would come out. I switched my bottles to a Kaytee Glass water bottle because I'd see my girls try to hold down the pin for water, but then give up because the water wasn't coming out fast enough. I don't know, maybe it was a faulty bottle if other members had success with it, but with my experience, I settled for a glass bottle. I have it hanging right by their litter pan so that if any water were to leak out, it would be in bedding I'd change out daily anyway.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    194 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    244 Rec'd/228 Posts

Ive seen people use water bowls that attach to the cage and their pigs drink like puppies

User Tag List