Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

*SAD NEWS* Skinny pig literally died on the spot?

LucasWMYLexi

Cavy Slave
Hi, I have a questions to ask. I have 2 skinny pigs (just over one years old, females) and tonight I went up stairs to give them their daily supply of nutrients and vitamins and when I put them in I noticed something strange. My skinny pig (Lexi) wasn't moving. So I touched her and she was cold, but the radiator was in at it was warm in my room. Her leg was stretched out like she was in mid-run. Her heart wasn't beating, and she was in the running position. She was stiff as a rock and I'm heart broken. But, there has been no signs of her being Ill, and she isn't underweight or overweight, if anything she's perfect. I give them vegetables, head pads, hay and dried every night. (Excluding dry food from the past 2 night because I couldn't get to the pet store). But I've also not went to the pet store for longer than that and they've been perfectly fine. She was always happy, and she was learning new tricks. She was DEFINITELY not showing any sign of illness or sickness. But last night she was continuously sucking on the water bottle for a good 5-7 minutes. And I could hear her sneeze quite a lot, so could that have anything to do with it? Also, her sister (Luna) wouldn't stop making the sound that they do when I give her food, so could that be a stress call. I'm not sure, sorry if I sound stupid. I have pictures of Lexi but I'm not sure how to post them. just imagine a black skinny pig with her back legs stretched out like she's running.
It would be great if someone could reply and tell me what's happened here, so I know for the future. Thanks
~Lucas

Guineapigpro

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hmm.. What kind of bedding did you use?

Also, what kind of veggies do you feed? Was there any discharge from the nose or eyes? Had she been lethargic at all?

Im so sorry for your loss. :( skinny pigs are such a unique treasure.

LucasWMYLexi

Cavy Slave
I use fleece and change it every week. I give them various vegetables but my main 3 are peppers, carrots and cucumber. And no she didn't, her eyes were perfectly shut and her nose was normal.

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
Huh. Did you just get her recently? Or did you have her for a while?

Missypigmama

Cavy Slave
I'm so very sorry for your loss.. Hugs

LucasWMYLexi

Cavy Slave
Oh and I forgot to say I have a cat who is very old, but she stays in the corner of my room. Sometimes I go out and leave the door open and then look around the door to see if she has moved but she stays there and never gave them hassle. I moved them to my bedroom around 2 weeks ago because of winter and my Everytime I have the cat in the room she's in the corner and doesn't even notice them. And also my dog leaked at the top of my stairs p next to my bedroom and he does that when he is stressed out or feels threatened. He does pee quite a lot but could it he associated with her death? Oh and sorry I didn't inform you about this on the thread, I was in such a rush to get it posted.

LucasWMYLexi

Cavy Slave

LucasWMYLexi

Cavy Slave
I have had them since March. And there is quite a lot of noise around my house and they sometimes got sniffed by my dog but he isn't too bothered about theme. Lexi didn't really get scared, Luna is the one who gets frightened.

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
It's alright. :) the only thing I could think of is if it had a heart attack of some sort. Otherwise, a necropsy could only reveal the answer. :(

You ruled out the obvious things that can easily kill guinea pigs- bloat, URI, attack (from the other pig or another pet), or any other sickness where she would have to be lethargic first.

Also, it could have had a heat stroke? But it would have to be very hot. Possible 85+ degrees for a skinny pig.

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss, once again. I give you piggie hugs from here!

LucasWMYLexi

Cavy Slave
No I don't think it did, since it's usually warm in my room and if it gets too hot I tend to open the window or turn the radiator off.

LucasWMYLexi

Cavy Slave

Missypigmama

Cavy Slave
Also for a tip (and I don't think its the cause) you need to add some leafy greens to their daily vegetables.. (not ice Berg lettuce) green peppers are great. My pigs love carrots, but only get them every other day in small quantities.. Again sorry for your loss

LucasWMYLexi

Cavy Slave
Thanks! But it's funny you may say that since I just gave them green peppers and the two nights before ahah :) thank you for the advice.

C. Cole-Chakotay

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry to hear about Lexi.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Do you weigh your guinea pigs weekly? Sometimes it's hard to tell if something's wrong, since guinea pigs usually hide their symptoms. If you weigh them and record the weights you can tell if a pig isn't feeling well.

The only way to know for sure what happened is to have a necropsy done.

I am sorry for your loss. You may want to take your remaining pig to the vet to make sure she's not sick.

LucasWMYLexi

Cavy Slave
No, but I get them out and hold them. She seemed perfectly fine and not skinny or overweight. And thanks, I will.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.