Thread: 2 months old piggie not walking?

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

2 months old piggie not walking?

I adopted 2 guinea pigs last week. Both are males and they have been living together since their previous owner had them. One is 6 months and the other one is 2 months.

my two months old guinea pig literally lives beside the food bowl since I got them. He doesn't move. He just eats then sleeps then drinks at the same spot, or maybe just a few small steps to get to the water bottle, but that's all he moved. During floortime, I take them out and let them run around a super big room. The bigger one ran around happily but the small one just sits at where I placed him. He doesn't walk, you see. He just stays at where I placed him and I'm afraid he will get unhealthy for not exercising (walking around). I tried offering carrots in a distance but it doesn't make me move his lazy ass. Any idea how to help him?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    107 Rec'd/68 Posts

Re: 2 months old piggie not walking?

I'd take him to the vet. I'm not exactly sure what would cause him to act like this, but it definitely does not sound like normal, healthy behavior.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    144 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    185 Rec'd/162 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gstyle View Post
    I adopted 2 guinea pigs last week. Both are males and they have been living together since their previous owner had them. One is 6 months and the other one is 2 months.

my two months old guinea pig literally lives beside the food bowl since I got them. He doesn't move. He just eats then sleeps then drinks at the same spot, or maybe just a few small steps to get to the water bottle, but that's all he moved. During floortime, I take them out and let them run around a super big room. The bigger one ran around happily but the small one just sits at where I placed him. He doesn't walk, you see. He just stays at where I placed him and I'm afraid he will get unhealthy for not exercising (walking around). I tried offering carrots in a distance but it doesn't make me move his lazy ass. Any idea how to help him?
    How long has it been happening for? What do you feed them? Are you sure it's a male?

Mentioned
    294 Post(s)
    Quoted
    700 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,441 Rec'd/992 Posts

It sounds like something more serious than just "laziness". It's possible he could have a spinal injury which leaves him unable to walk. If it's been a week and he hasn't moved from one spot, there's something more going on there. I would definitely have a vet check him out.

5. "Thank you, CavyMama, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/9 Posts

You said he does go the couple steps to get to the water. Have you tried placing the food and the water further apart so he is forced to walk? You can use this to check if he is limping or anything. And if it's just laziness or fear being forced to go to the water might fix the problem. You never know. It took my two new guineas like over a month to stop hiding in their cages all the time.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Thanks. He seemed to be able to walk normally but I'm no expert. I'll give him one more week in case it's fear or he needs to adjust to a new house. If he still doesn't walk much then I'll take him to the vet

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    24 Rec'd/22 Posts

Hmmmm that doesn's ound particulary good. Although as others have said it could be he is just getting used to his surroundings, it is a little odd that in a whole week he hasnt moved from the one spot. Have you got hidey places for them? If you do, if he was just terified, one would assume he would be hiding in there rather than in the open. If you dont notice a drastic change soon VET!! Hope your little man is OK and we are all just overly paranoid!

9. "Thank you, Gowroo, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    144 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    185 Rec'd/162 Posts

Thanks. He seemed to be able to walk normally but I'm no expert. I'll give him one more week in case it's fear or he needs to adjust to a new house. If he still doesn't walk much then I'll take him to the vet
    I strongly disagree with you there.
    Your pig rarely walks. He could be extremely sick. Please take him in.

11. "Thank you, GuineaPigster, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Princess_Piggie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts

I highly doubt your pig isn't moving due to fear/new surroundings etc.

If your pig was scared of his new surroundings, he would be in a hidey that you had provided for him. Again, as we all know, pigs are prey animals and very timid little things, so the slightest thing can cause them to run off. If you getting up suddenly, moving around etc, isn't causing him to run for cover even temporarily, that's a clear indicator he's having mobility problems.

Another issue: your pig could be extremely stressed out being in the open constantly. Pigs are survival animals, constantly striving to hide any and every ailment they develop. He is staying near the water and food sources in case next time he walks away, he can't make it back to them, which would lead to his starvation, dehydration, and therefore make him feel very vulnerable.

I would take him to a vet today if possible, I would imagine your pig is feeling very scared, vulnerable and probably sick judging on how abnormal his behavior is.

13. "Thank you, Princess_Piggie, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts

With a spinal injury, you'll often see a guinea pig that tries very hard to get around while dragging it's hind legs. What breed is he? I had a guinea pig with osteodystrophy and before she started "hopping" to get around, she didn't move around much. I didn't think much of it because she lived with a group of other females and had always been shy. My oldest guinea pig was always at her side, grooming her and sleeping next to her. I figured they were jut very bonded but, in hindsight, I think the older one knew there was something wrong. I'd have a vet exam to rule out problems with his bones.

15. "Thank you, pinky, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/9 Posts

Even though I suggested using the water it's probably still better to take him to the vet if your gut is telling you something is off. The others are correct in that if he was scared he'd probably go into his house like mine did. Separating the food and the water is something you can do for the time being to observe his behavior until you can get him to a vet.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Thanks for all your answers. I was new to guinea pigs, didn't know it could be that bad! I already made an appointment for him to see the vet tomorrow

18. "Thank you, Gstyle, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    144 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    185 Rec'd/162 Posts

Great, thanks for listening to our advice!
    Wishing you and him luck.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Princess_Piggie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts

Hey! Has he been seen yet, how's he doing?

21. "Thank you, Princess_Piggie, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    20 Rec'd/18 Posts

I wish you and him the best of luck!!! Keep us updated!!

23. "Thank you, Liviebrew1, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    27 Rec'd/26 Posts

Wish you luck. Keep us updated.

25. "Thank you, Fick2010, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List