Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits Questions about grooming and sexing

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I'm a little concerned that my Max may actually be a Maxine. I have NO idea how to sex a rabbit (I thought I did but obviously could be wrong!) Any information on sexing a rabbit would be extremely useful. Now, second thing is that he gets poop stuck to his butt. His hair is longer around his bum. Should I continue to shave it down? He also gets these tufts of fur between his toes, is it ok to shave these down too? I would love to be able to do this so I can keep up with his nails easier. So far he seems to be pretty well mannered and clean, he is litter trained. There's just these couple of issues I need help with!

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
How old is Max (Maxine)?

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Max is about 2 years old. I figured out how to sex him, definitely a male. :) I have tried to shave around his bum, but poop still gets stuck in his tail, and his feet are horrible. The tufts of ffur make me scared to try to cut his nails.

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
There really should be no reason that he's getting poo stuck to his bum. He's not old enough to be having trouble reaching there for cleaning or for getting to his cecotropes. Perhaps he is sensitive to certain foods that is making him have mushy poos. I know some rabbits can be extra sensitive to fresh greens. Those rabbits can't have greens every day or they get mushy poos.

What is his normal daily diet? Maybe we can figure out what could be causing this. This shouldn't be something that you (or him) just have to live with.

Another possibility is where he is choosing to lounge. Does he tend to lounge in his litter box or somewhere where his feet could be getting messy?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.