Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts

Update on my little guy

Well it's been a fun past couple of days since I brought Skunk home. I renamed him to Charlie because, well, he looks like a Charlie, haha. He is doing great.

I've been hand feeding him his greens and carrots everyday and taking him out to sit on my lap and roaming time. He was especially good today. I have a little table in the kitchen for him so he can observe me and my family while we eat and talk. He's getting less jumpy and was letting my older brother pet him. My brother likes him now, haha. He even ate dinner with us. He is less reluctant to be picked up now that we are starting to get to know each other.

I'm making him some fleece cage accessories with some supplies I got on black Friday at Jo-Ann's Fabric. Hopefully they will have his Coroplast on Monday. For bedding I've decided on a mixture of fleece on one end and wood pellets on the other. I've always used wood pellets with my pets and they enjoy digging in them. The ones I use are made from aspen so no worries.

One decision I have to make is whether I'm going to keep his cage 2x3 or if I should make it 2x4 incase I try to introduce another boar at some point. I really do want him to have a friend but it has to wait a while. He had a history of fighting at the shelter and even has part of his left ear missing. If I do get him a male I am doing a very slow introduction where they can see each other but not touch each other at first. When my friend introduced a new duck to her flock she kept him in the same area as the others but separated by fencing so they can see, hear, and even smell each other but couldn't hurt each other. I think I might try that.

Anyways I'm really grateful to be part of this community and I'm sure someday I'll be a guinea pig expert just like you guys. I have had parrots all of my life so I never really had small animals. I had my fair share of hamsters as a child but other than that I had a degu. His name was Momo and he was the most awesome little guy. He was just like a guinea pig except his diet was more restricted and he was a very good climber. He lived for 8 years and he wasn't even a baby when I got him! He died this year so I think that's why I said yes to taking Charlie, because I missed having him around.
    Last edited by CavyMama; 11-30-13 at 02:51 am. Reason: Breaking up the paragraph for clarity

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    144 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    185 Rec'd/162 Posts

Re: Update on my little guy

Good to hear he's settling in!!
    Even if it's just him, I'd recommend a 2x4. If you wanted to get him a buddy, I'd recommend even larger, since they wouldn't be bonded.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    27 Rec'd/26 Posts

I'm happy to hear that.
    I would say upgrade to a 2x4 , but like @GuineaPigster said since they wint be bonded its better to have larger. I have a 2x4 and I introduced my two boars everything went well, but when I put them in the cage together my Harvey chased Waffles everytime he ate or drank. Even if he came up to great us. It was very stressful on Waffles I'm sure. Even if you have two of everything they still might chase the othee away fron food. That is less likely with a larger cage. Still might happen though. A new pig entering anothers territory is going to make them show for dominance.

4. "Thank you, Fick2010, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    27 Rec'd/26 Posts

I'm happy to hear that.
    I would say upgrade to a 2x4 , but like @GuineaPigster said since they wint be bonded its better to have larger. I have a 2x4 and I introduced my two boars everything went well, but when I put them in the cage together my Harvey chased Waffles everytime he ate or drank. Even if he came up to great us. It was very stressful on Waffles I'm sure. Even if you have two of everything they still might chase the othee away fron food. That is less likely with a larger cage. Still might happen though. A new pig entering anothers territory is going to make them show for dominance.

Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quoted
    773 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,243 Rec'd/995 Posts

At the very least a 2x4, with plans to enlarge it to a 2x5 when you get a companion.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts

I just made it a 2x4 cage. Unless I do some difficult rearranging I can't make it any bigger without seriously cutting into my living space in my bedroom. I'm going to make it so his snuggle sack, toys, and bed will be on one half of the cage with fleece as the bedding and then the other half will have his hay, food, and water with wood pellets. I might even add a litter box if I can find a corner one for cheap. He's seemed to really enjoy being pet before and was making cute little wheeking sounds. When I was running my fingers through his fur I accidentally hit a scab. It looks like it's healing okay but I'm going to keep an eye on it. It's probably from him fighting. He didn't hit it off well with his old cagemates at the shelter. They kept picking on him. I was misinformed by the lady at the shelter. He wasn't the one being aggressive it was the other two.

User Tag List