Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Persistent burrowing....

  1. #1
    Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Princess_Piggie's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 10, 2013
    Location
    Liverpool, UK
    Posts
    3,377
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)
    Thanks
    316
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts

    Persistent burrowing....

    Finally got my girls in fleece bedding! And they love it. They don't even bother sleeping in their hidey most of the time. (P.s, I feel privileged that they both sleep in the open with their eyes shut already! Only had them 5 weeks! I feel like they really trust me )

    Anyway, so it's a little too big for their cage as I'm getting a bigger one next month as their Christmas present and don't want to cut the fleece to size now, and have to buy new ones when I get the cage. It's a little lumpy in places but hey, it's fleece, it's not like it's hard to walk over the lumps.

    As its too big, the fleece is partially folded over in once place, and unfortunately, my girls are enjoying burrowing in it. I looked over earlier and saw a lump under the fleece, and thought damn, they've burrowed haven't they. It's been in for a few days now and I thought I was in the clear for burrowing!

    I went over and lifted the top layer up, and my girls where fast asleep under it, all snuggled up together, so cute. Wish I'd taken a picture!

    Anyway, as cute as it is, it's obviously not safe in case they get trapped, or can't breathe etc when I'm out. Any idea's on a temporary burrow-stopping solution?

  2. #2
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Oct 31, 2013
    Posts
    150
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    56
    Thanks
    33 Rec'd/13 Posts

    Re: Persistent burrowing....

    Quote Originally Posted by Princess_Piggie View Post
    Finally got my girls in fleece bedding! And they love it. They don't even bother sleeping in their hidey most of the time. (P.s, I feel privileged that they both sleep in the open with their eyes shut already! Only had them 5 weeks! I feel like they really trust me )

    Anyway, so it's a little too big for their cage as I'm getting a bigger one next month as their Christmas present and don't want to cut the fleece to size now, and have to buy new ones when I get the cage. It's a little lumpy in places but hey, it's fleece, it's not like it's hard to walk over the lumps.

    As its too big, the fleece is partially folded over in once place, and unfortunately, my girls are enjoying burrowing in it. I looked over earlier and saw a lump under the fleece, and thought damn, they've burrowed haven't they. It's been in for a few days now and I thought I was in the clear for burrowing!

    I went over and lifted the top layer up, and my girls where fast asleep under it, all snuggled up together, so cute. Wish I'd taken a picture!

    Anyway, as cute as it is, it's obviously not safe in case they get trapped, or can't breathe etc when I'm out. Any idea's on a temporary burrow-stopping solution?
    I always stretch the fleece out and tuck the sides under (I had towels underneath so the fleece was under the towels). Right now I have a C&C cage and the fleece is big enough that I can tuck it over the side of the coroplast and under.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cosmo new cage 3.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	57986
    Not sure if you can see here but it goes over the wall and it's tucked under the coroplast between the grid and the coroplast. He hasn't been able to dig it up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cosmo new cage 1.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	57985  

  3. #3
    Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Princess_Piggie's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 10, 2013
    Location
    Liverpool, UK
    Posts
    3,377
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)
    Thanks
    316
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts

    Re: Persistent burrowing....

    Awww hey there Cosmo hehe!

    My girls are in a pet store cage (which is plenty big enough, 10 sq ft), but that means I can't tuck it over the edges

  4. "Thank you, Princess_Piggie, for this useful post," says:


  5. #4
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Oct 31, 2013
    Posts
    150
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    56
    Thanks
    33 Rec'd/13 Posts

    Re: Persistent burrowing....

    Quote Originally Posted by Princess_Piggie View Post
    Awww hey there Cosmo hehe!

    My girls are in a pet store cage (which is plenty big enough, 10 sq ft), but that means I can't tuck it over the edges
    What do you have under the fleece? He used to be in a pet store cage (a smaller one sadly) and I would tuck the fleece under the layer of towels and he couldn't burrow under it most of the time.

  6. #5
    Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Princess_Piggie's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 10, 2013
    Location
    Liverpool, UK
    Posts
    3,377
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)
    Thanks
    316
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts

    Re: Persistent burrowing....

    Towel, then newspaper at the bottom just for a little extra absorbancy.

    I'll try that but one of them's a bit....adventurous, shall we say haha. She likes climbing up the cage bars and pushing things over etc. Wouldn't surprise me if she was the one instigating the burrowing...

  7. #6
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Oct 31, 2013
    Posts
    150
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    56
    Thanks
    33 Rec'd/13 Posts

    Re: Persistent burrowing....

    Quote Originally Posted by Princess_Piggie View Post
    Towel, then newspaper at the bottom just for a little extra absorbancy.

    I'll try that but one of them's a bit....adventurous, shall we say haha. She likes climbing up the cage bars and pushing things over etc. Wouldn't surprise me if she was the one instigating the burrowing...
    Haha well if the fleece is big enough and tucked way under the towel it's a lot harder to get at. I had some pieces of fleece for him before that were only like an inch tucked in and he could dig them up but the bigger pieces that had like 3 inches or so tucked under on all the sides he usually couldn't dig out to go under.

    A lot of people I read clip their fleece and stuff to the cage. But I've heard they can somehow get it out haha.

    If you end up getting a C&C cage though it's a good idea to use a huge piece of fleece and tuck it over the walls. The fleece is 6'x3' and the cage is 2 grids by 4 grids (not sure how that translates into feet though) so theres plenty of extra.

User Tag List

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •