Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Persistent burrowing....

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Finally got my girls in fleece bedding! And they love it. They don't even bother sleeping in their hidey most of the time. (P.s, I feel privileged that they both sleep in the open with their eyes shut already! Only had them 5 weeks! I feel like they really trust me :) )

Anyway, so it's a little too big for their cage as I'm getting a bigger one next month as their Christmas present and don't want to cut the fleece to size now, and have to buy new ones when I get the cage. It's a little lumpy in places but hey, it's fleece, it's not like it's hard to walk over the lumps.

As its too big, the fleece is partially folded over in once place, and unfortunately, my girls are enjoying burrowing in it. I looked over earlier and saw a lump under the fleece, and thought damn, they've burrowed haven't they. It's been in for a few days now and I thought I was in the clear for burrowing!

I went over and lifted the top layer up, and my girls where fast asleep under it, all snuggled up together, so cute. Wish I'd taken a picture!

Anyway, as cute as it is, it's obviously not safe in case they get trapped, or can't breathe etc when I'm out. Any idea's on a temporary burrow-stopping solution?

Schweitz

Cavy Slave
Finally got my girls in fleece bedding! And they love it. They don't even bother sleeping in their hidey most of the time. (P.s, I feel privileged that they both sleep in the open with their eyes shut already! Only had them 5 weeks! I feel like they really trust me :) )

Anyway, so it's a little too big for their cage as I'm getting a bigger one next month as their Christmas present and don't want to cut the fleece to size now, and have to buy new ones when I get the cage. It's a little lumpy in places but hey, it's fleece, it's not like it's hard to walk over the lumps.

As its too big, the fleece is partially folded over in once place, and unfortunately, my girls are enjoying burrowing in it. I looked over earlier and saw a lump under the fleece, and thought damn, they've burrowed haven't they. It's been in for a few days now and I thought I was in the clear for burrowing!

I went over and lifted the top layer up, and my girls where fast asleep under it, all snuggled up together, so cute. Wish I'd taken a picture!

Anyway, as cute as it is, it's obviously not safe in case they get trapped, or can't breathe etc when I'm out. Any idea's on a temporary burrow-stopping solution?

I always stretch the fleece out and tuck the sides under (I had towels underneath so the fleece was under the towels). Right now I have a C&C cage and the fleece is big enough that I can tuck it over the side of the coroplast and under.
cosmo new cage 3.jpg
Not sure if you can see here but it goes over the wall and it's tucked under the coroplast between the grid and the coroplast. He hasn't been able to dig it up.

Attachments

cosmo new cage 1.jpg

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Awww hey there Cosmo hehe!

My girls are in a pet store cage (which is plenty big enough, 10 sq ft), but that means I can't tuck it over the edges :(

Schweitz

Cavy Slave
Awww hey there Cosmo hehe!

My girls are in a pet store cage (which is plenty big enough, 10 sq ft), but that means I can't tuck it over the edges :(
What do you have under the fleece? He used to be in a pet store cage (a smaller one sadly) and I would tuck the fleece under the layer of towels and he couldn't burrow under it most of the time.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Towel, then newspaper at the bottom just for a little extra absorbancy.

I'll try that but one of them's a bit....adventurous, shall we say haha. She likes climbing up the cage bars and pushing things over etc. Wouldn't surprise me if she was the one instigating the burrowing...

Schweitz

Cavy Slave
Towel, then newspaper at the bottom just for a little extra absorbancy.

I'll try that but one of them's a bit....adventurous, shall we say haha. She likes climbing up the cage bars and pushing things over etc. Wouldn't surprise me if she was the one instigating the burrowing...
Haha well if the fleece is big enough and tucked way under the towel it's a lot harder to get at. I had some pieces of fleece for him before that were only like an inch tucked in and he could dig them up but the bigger pieces that had like 3 inches or so tucked under on all the sides he usually couldn't dig out to go under.

A lot of people I read clip their fleece and stuff to the cage. But I've heard they can somehow get it out haha.

If you end up getting a C&C cage though it's a good idea to use a huge piece of fleece and tuck it over the walls. The fleece is 6'x3' and the cage is 2 grids by 4 grids (not sure how that translates into feet though) so theres plenty of extra.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.