Thread: Might get him a friend... Have questions...

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    33 Rec'd/13 Posts

Might get him a friend... Have questions...

I was wondering if there's a way to sort of bring your guinea pig to a shelter or rescue or somewhere so he can meet the other pigs and sort of pick his own friend? Instead of going out and getting a guinea pig who may or may not get along with the one you have already? I think it would be cute if your guinea pig could find his own friend and you can see who he likes and gets alone with the most...

Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1005 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,342 Rec'd/1,699 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Might get him a friend... Have questions...

Some rescues will allow you to do that. Contact your local rescue.

Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    356 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    582 Rec'd/536 Posts

I'm not sure about shelters or rescues so you may want to call ahead. Unless they are a small animal rescue or shelter. Some guinea pig rescues will have a meet and greet for your piggie. But if there more of a dog or cat shelter or rescue then probably not.

Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quoted
    773 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,243 Rec'd/995 Posts

In my rescue people are welcome to bring their pig when looking for a companion. However, we don't just put a bunch of pigs together and watch what happens. That would be too stressful for the pigs involved. Instead, I have you choose your favorite of the ones available and that's the one we try with your pig. It's just a meet and greet, and not always indicative of the way things will go at home, but it does let you know if there's an instant dislike.

I use a kiddie pool lined with towels and put a bunch of greens in piles, then plop both pigs in. If things go well with your pig and your first pick, then we leave it at that. Trying other pigs just stresses your pig out more.

If it doesn't go well with the first pig, we take it out and give your pig a break before trying pig #2. Honestly, I don't like to try more than two in a day.

Other rescues may do it differently than I do.

5. "Thank you, foggycreekcavy, for this useful post," say these 3 members:

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    33 Rec'd/13 Posts

I still want to get another one but still factoring a bunch of things... When we go away I bring him to a friend in his old smaller cage (it's only for a couple days). If I had two there's no way they'd fit in that small cage together and they don't have room for me to show up with my huge C&C cage (they'd prob never agree to take him!) Plus it's hard enough to convince people to take him for a few days and I don't think people would agree to two. Any ideas? And is quarantine necessary in every situation? Because then the new pig would be stuck in the small cage for 3 weeks which I wouldn't want to do...

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Princess_Piggie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts

Caring for two pigs is no different really than caring for one, other than in cost. That is, multiple pigs don't require more attention etc. How small in sq ft is the 'smaller' cage?
    Does your pig get free play time when he's at your friends house?

You could contact a pigsitter, too, if your friend can't take the piggies in. If you get a sitter that's been background checked, they can even care for the pigs in your house. If you're not comfortable with that, I'm sure a lot of them are happy to take in C&C cages!

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts

I've been at some adopt a pet events where people brought their guinea pig to find a friend. I agree with @foggycreekcavy that more than a couple doesn't work. They start getting agitated. I also found that you should change the towel that they're on after the first introduction to eliminate any scent. You can tell pretty quickly if it won't work.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Schweitz View Post
    I still want to get another one but still factoring a bunch of things... When we go away I bring him to a friend in his old smaller cage (it's only for a couple days). If I had two there's no way they'd fit in that small cage together and they don't have room for me to show up with my huge C&C cage (they'd prob never agree to take him!) Plus it's hard enough to convince people to take him for a few days and I don't think people would agree to two. Any ideas? And is quarantine necessary in every situation? Because then the new pig would be stuck in the small cage for 3 weeks which I wouldn't want to do...
    Why don't you bring them along when you go away?

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    33 Rec'd/13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pinky View Post
    Why don't you bring them along when you go away?
    Well my situation is a bit difficult. I live with my parents still for the time being. My mom loves my guinea pig and helps with him but my dad hates him. He has to stay in my room so my dad doesn't have to be affected by him (it's possible he's slightly allergic). I've mentioned taking him along before and he absolutely refuses. He also told me I can't have a second pig but that might be able to be changed. Only thing is quarantine-the cage will have to be out in the open which he would HATE for 3 weeks. And the cage is small that he'd be in for 3 weeks so I'd feel really bad. Plus the vacations we take we drive like 4 hours and stay in a hotel. The car is crammed (I don't know how we'd bring the piggy in the car anyway) and the hotels rarely take pets. I have a neighbor who took him last time but he was stuck in a small cage for three days. I definitely couldn't do that to two piggies-stick them BOTH in a small cage. We live in not the safest neighborhood and so we have an alarm system in our house. My parents wouldn't let anyone just pop in a few times a day as they don't trust anyone with the code. It's all so complicated. :/

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    51 Rec'd/47 Posts

When I got my 2nd guinea pig I didn't quarantine her and everything went fine. I'm getting a new pig from a friend in a few days and I doubt I will quarantine. I do see the reasons why people do the quarantine period, and it does make sense. But I figure since I know where my pig is coming from and I know she has been well cared for I don't think it's necessary.. Although most people will probably disagree with me. As far as you traveling, would it be possible to make a smaller c&c cage? One that is a little bigger than your small cage but smaller then your big c&c? Just an idea. Also, if someone is willing to watch 1 pig, then they would probably watch 2. It's not that much different as long as you are supplying the supplies. Hope this helps you..

12. "Thank you, My_3_LittlePigs, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    51 Rec'd/47 Posts

Oh, and to add to my comment.. Introductions of the pigs are still really important. Don't just plop a new pig in the cage with your existing pig. Bur you are aware of that, I can see from your comments. Good luck! :-)

14. "Thank you, My_3_LittlePigs, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quoted
    773 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,243 Rec'd/995 Posts

If you get a pig from a reputable rescue you usually don't need to quarantine.

Some rescues also do pet sitting. I "pig sit" my adopters' pigs for donations.

16. "Thank you, foggycreekcavy, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    33 Rec'd/13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by foggycreekcavy View Post

OMG some rescues will take in your pig for a few days?

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    33 Rec'd/13 Posts

Anyone know anything about "crazy cavies" in Lauderhill Florida? www.crazycavies.org Like if they are still around and if they are legit? They claim to have petsitting for 2.50 a day (does this make sense anyone?) and they have adoptions. It sounds amazing if it's legit and still around! Anyone know anything about it? Thanks!

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    573 Rec'd/442 Posts

I have one pig in a 2 x 4 C & C cage. If I were to get 2 I'd want a 2 x 5 cage because 2 x 1 is kitchen. Cost is an issue. I'm not working and am on my own. Disability only goes so far and she is spoiled more than many pigs living in a 2 income home. I'm kinda ocd in her cage in that I'm frequently shoveling out poops and pee piles of wood pellets dust in her kitchen. Double that... yow. Vet bill. Oy. I've only had her 1 year and almost $2K has gone for making sure her slight heart murmur wasn't a problem, URI and an eye poke. She was housed at my vet's home for 10 days as I couldn't do the hand feedings every 2 hours when her antibiotics caused her to go into GI stasis.

I may get her a friend some day if my finances become stable but we're doing really good now. I'm home all the time and we play and snuggle much of the time.

20. "Thank you, Artista, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    573 Rec'd/442 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by foggycreekcavy View Post

Wow. Want to move to N. CA?? I spend $20 a day for Mooshy to be boarded in her vet's practice in a pet store size cage in a room that's nothing but cages. Looks like a prison. They do take good care of her, but I provided everything for her except the water. They would have provided hay but Moosh loves the kind I get her so I took that too.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    33 Rec'd/13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    Wow. Want to move to N. CA?? I spend $20 a day for Mooshy to be boarded in her vet's practice in a pet store size cage in a room that's nothing but cages. Looks like a prison. They do take good care of her, but I provided everything for her except the water. They would have provided hay but Moosh loves the kind I get her so I took that too.
    The place I saw near me will pig-sit for like 5 bucks a day or something. Not sure if you have to bring your cage or they have, they don't give out much info on their site. They're real secretive because it is within people's homes I think.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    33 Rec'd/13 Posts

If my piggie is around 6 months, what age guinea pig would be best to bring home? And is there a way to tell if my current piggy would be considered a "dominant pig" if I've never seen him interact with other boars before?

User Tag List