Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance Six days and counting! :S When does the battle end?

Lucynzsky

Cavy Slave
Hello! I love this forum as I get such good advice!

ok, brought home two babies a month and a half ago.
We had one day of rumbling and our Dow sitting oon the other's
head a lot (lol), then it calmed down. Now, a couple wweeks later
she is doing it again...six days this time. I think the other sow
is tiring of it. It's calmed down a tiny bit today, but just wwondering if this
is normal or should I separate for awhile? They generally get along wwell besides.

A bit worried about the ovary thing but I think it's too early to worry? AAlso I thought
If it was one in heat, it would last 2-3 days?? We saw her lift her rear once...

thanks in advance!!

Lucynzsky

Cavy Slave
Sorry for the typos! One sow is mounting the other's head and rumbling...sixth day, but no aggression. The other sometimes will lunge at her, but is pretty good.

sugarandspice

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Don't separate, it sounds fine. If you separate, it will only make it worse.

If one is in heat, mounting and rumblestrutting is especially common and to add on top of the fact they just met, this might last awhile. It'll eventually settle. :)

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
How big is the cage you have the two sows in?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Yes, how big is the cage, and how many pigs live in it?

It can take months for some pigs to settle down.

Lucynzsky

Cavy Slave
The cage is 11 feet long and there are two pigs in it, very spoiled, in our living room. Now they have been rumbling at each other a whole week straight, and at least a month b4 that on and off. I font want to ever separate if poss... It would kill me! I don't think either wants to submit though. One still keeps jumping on the other's head. We are in our 40s and these 2 are our first pets since childhood. We're worried sick. :(

SandyPig

Cavy Slave
Why is rumbling bad? As long as no one is getting hurt, and they are both getting enough access to food, water, and resting spots, isn't it OK? For our pair that were together 3+ years, there would be episodes of rumbling and mounting now and then but it didn't seem like a problem. Sometimes I remind myself that they are a different species and don't communicate the way I would!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Why are you worried about rumbling? Mine are going on four-and-a-half years, and have been rumbling at each other the whole time.

maria33

Cavy Slave
as long as they're not fighting so bad they draw blood, they are fine. it is better to leave them together as they will get along over time. it is wonderful that you have such a large cage. they are spoiled piggies. i would make sure that you have a couple water bottles, and a couple food dishes, so one does not get stressed while trying to eat or drink. another thing, give them lots of places to hide. i give each pair of my piggies atleast 2 little hidey huts spread out around the cage, and drape towels or fleece forrests in the corner so they feel safe. also, they love tunnels to run through from one side of the cage to the other (you can use 6" pvc pipe, cardboard boxes, plastic bins with 2 sides cut out). another thing, make sure that all their hidey huts have two entrances, so that they always feel like they have an escape route (mine hate the pigloos). goodluck:)

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Are you sure of their gender?

Lucynzsky

Cavy Slave
Hi, all. Yes, they are for sure females. We've looked a few times. :) Good to know about the rumbling. I thought it was just constant fighting and dislike of each other. They are better today. Perhaps one was in heat...for like a week! Lol. Yes, the rumble still goes on, but I am glad to hear it's normal and an ongoing thing. I don't remember my pigs doing it when i was a kid, but...! They generally seem to be getting along. Yes, we have two of everything...houses, food items, water, houses, cosy sacks...leaving plenty of room to run from one end to the other, also have tunnels, and we put something new, like a cardboard box or two in every day so they don't get bored...if they're not out in the solarium playing. We did TONNES of research before we bought them, and it's ongoing. My boyfriend and I agreed any pigs we get now, this will be the standard size of their cage too. They have great little lives I think! Wish I was a pig! :)

Lucynzsky

Cavy Slave
Ok, in case anyone else is having this problem, the battle ended after about 12 days. Now there's the odd rumble here and there and a few days around when they're in heat. :)

Lucynzsky

Cavy Slave
Another update: the pigs get along great now, but when one is in heat, it can be a five-day rumble fest! The other sometimes mounts the head of the other pig when she is on...maybe one or two days. Generally, though, they are doing well!

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
My males rumble daily, it's what they do. My 5 year old guys still do it sometimes but mostly they just eat and sleep. The young guys(almost a year) do it daily. Let me talk to one and the other will start.

amandaisamoose

Cavy Slave
My males love to rumble. I've only had them about two months but they are a year old the horrible old owner said. They've been rumbling daily but no blood. I just do something to detract them from the other. They'll rumble and then lay together. Weirdos

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.