Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding poo and pee, kitchens, fleece: best practice for piggy bedding

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Also, if you add cable ties to every connection it will make your cage much stronger and safer.

Can you make the cage a little bigger? I have 3 pigs in a 2x4 and without the pine pellet kitchen it does get super stinky fast. With the kitchen it can go several days. Is the top piggie going to join the other three piggies at any point? If it is then you should probably go to a 2x6 or a 3x3 or 3x4 etc.

j.a.d.s

Cavy Slave
Yes and I do have ties on it and connectors and yes I am going to make it bigger a.d what is pine pellets and yes he will join them I jist dont know how to introduce them I tried and they didnt like him

Traysea

Cavy Slave
You can find pine pellets at places that sell horse feed and bedding (they would be called something like equine pine pellets). It costs more to buy them at the petshop but you can find them there under the brand Feline Pine Original (not the clumping one!) but you will pay much more. You can also find them online on amazon for $20 for a 40lb bag

(broken link removed)

You can definitely find them cheaper and also use other brands, just make sure they are kiln dried and 100% pine.

As for the cage, yeah you will need to make that much bigger for 3-4 boys. They say that with boys you want both length and width so going to a 3x5 would be better for boars than something like a 2x7 . The cage you have them in now is good for 1-2 boys minimum and especially with boys bigger is better.

Read these two articles on introducing pigs, these will help you a lot. If you plan to expand the cage, then that would be the time to break down the whole thing, do a super thorough cleaning and start from there.

https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

https://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm

j.a.d.s

Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.