Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Hay stuck

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
My pig Lexi had a piece of hay stuck in her eye. I wa able to get it out with tweezers a few minutes ago. I wanted advice as to whether I should bring her to the vet. I cant get her in till monday, so is there any advice as to how to take care of it until then IMG_1449.jpg

RodentsRus

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Sorry I can't help you but just wondering how she doing? Poor Piggy.

Fick2010

Cavy Slave
I know when my boys had an irritation they gave me ointment, but I don't jnow of anything you can do yourself

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
shes doing okay. Shes eating, but shes mad at me for pulling it out. Im going to watch her tonight and tomorrow and see how shes doing.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Eye injuries generally need an antibiotic ointment only available from the vet. Since you can't see one until Monday, I'd be prepared to take her in first thing, and try to find an emergency vet if you need one tomorrow.

RodentsRus

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
It's a rule of animal pets.. Something always happens when the vet is closed.

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
Eye injuries generally need an antibiotic ointment only available from the vet. Since you can't see one until Monday, I'd be prepared to take her in first thing, and try to find an emergency vet if you need one tomorrow.
Okay can do. Should I try a saline solution to help keep the eye clean until then?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It wouldn't hurt.

OrganicMechanic

Cavy Slave
Be sure to keep an eye on it. If it becomes infected, you'll start to notice it becoming extremely red, irritated, and potentially starting to close from swelling as well, much like how your own eye would if it were infected. One very important thing to take into consideration is if your guinea pig has conjunctivitis. The kind of bacteria that causes the infection in guinea pigs is the same one that causes it in us. Be sure to keep your hands clean after handling your pig. The treatment for most eye infections is antibiotic eyedrops. One of my pigs had an eye infection a while back. The biggest thing that stuck out was how red his eye was getting. After a day or two, it began swelling shut. He responded very well (and quickly) to the antibiotic eyedrops.

Your pigs eye looks more irritated than infected. Think about how your eyes can tear up when you get something in them. Pigs aren't too much different in that aspect. :D The hay may have scratched her cornea, which is not unheard of. Uncomfortable for the pig, but not as serious (and immediate) as a bacterial infection. If you have some sterile saline and syringe (NO NEEDLE!!!), you could flush her eye to make sure any remnants of the hay are out. The vet should still check her to make sure all is fine and dandy, but I wouldn't stress too much. It's too early to tell if it's infected, but I wouldn't place money on it. Just remember that in any case, your pig is treatable and should be alright. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
A scratched cornea can be very serious, and needs seeing right away. Were you able to see a vet today?

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
I was able to see the vet. They gave us some antibiotic ointment for her eye. They said everything looks good but to use it just in case. They also rinsed her eye out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.