Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sexing Can Anyone Identify The Sex of my piggie??

Aishwary Mehta

Cavy Slave
Just Wish for the best.. Fingers crossed

rsgymjam

Cavy Slave
Hey guys just wanted to add that some stores like petco and petsmart have actually stopped selling live animals and are working with rescue groups to rehome animals. Obviously not all are, but some!!!!

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Yea a lot of pet stores don't know anything about how to sex small exotic animals. Most females end up comeing home with you pregnent. So buying from a pet store is a big no no (adopt, don't shop). But yea deffinetly seperate them. Most pet stores get pets from mills. So when you buy pets from them that just makeing room for more to come in. So really your not really rescueing those animals its very sad. :( Good luck with your piggies hope everything goes well.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@rsgymjam said:

Hey guys just wanted to add that some stores like petco and (broken link removed) have actually stopped selling live animals and are working with rescue groups to rehome animals. Obviously not all are, but some!!!!

Do you mean actual Petco and Petsmart stores, or just non-chain pet stores? And do you have any documentation for that? Like newspaper stories, or ads saying they're no longer selling animals? That kind of information might be helpful to other people who are trying to get their stores to stop selling animals.

rsgymjam

Cavy Slave
@bpatters
I have read on a few websites that some of the Petcos and Petsmarts have. But, I don't have time to look for it right now- I will try in the next few days.

Also, yes they are the chain pet stores, not non-chain. And NOT ALL PETSMARTS AND PETCOS DO THIS!!! Ask at your local petco/petsmart before buying to find out where they get their animals just in case.

I will see about a link for the website soon- but in the meantime: HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYBODY!!!!!!

syberchick70

Cavy Slave
Our petsmart sells rescued animals. I've seen cats there. They have pretty nice areas set up for them. Not sure how the adoption processs works.

rsgymjam

Cavy Slave
I would guess that the animals have been in the rescue for a while and have received proper care, etc. and putting them in the pet stores is a great way to advertise both the animal and the shelter.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Over in the UK one of our pet stores is called Pets at Home, when an animal goes past it's 'for sale' age (4 months ish) it's put up for adoption. Any animals that are returned to the store etc are also put up for adoption. If you buy/adopt a pet from them that comes with an illness or is missexed etc they pay for all the vets treatment/neutering etc also!

rsgymjam

Cavy Slave
I have seen animals for adoption at pet stores before, but my point is that the animals on the sale floor wouldn't all be rescued animals. It's usually made very clear when an animal at a pet store is for adoption rather than for sale.

Oh yes now I get what you're saying! I would agree that all would not be animals from a rescue. Take for example, the hundreds of thousands of fish that they own/buy every year. In the few months I have been at my rescue- I have never seen a fish. We have had turtles, parrots, finches, doves, even iguanas!!!! But no fish...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.