Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Breeding How to tell if intentionally bred or accidental litter (Craigslist)

missingMathilde

Cavy Slave
I've been checking Craigslist (as well as shelters, etc) frequently to see if any piggies come up. Today I saw this ad (broken link removed) and while of course I'm hoping that it's legitimate, I thought perhaps you guys could tell better than I can. I just don't want to support breeders, but would love to rehome two baby boys and keep them together.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
To me, they jump out as breeders..they seem to pride their selves on having babies for sale...i would just ask them if they breed them.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I agree, too. Sounds like they have a routine down pat for selling babies. I wouldn't buy from them.

guinnymom23

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry...but they're selling the dad too and he's only 3 months old??? WTF?

Rayen

Cavy Slave
I get 'intentional breeding' vibes from reading it.

They know exactly how old the father is (and he's just a baby himself!), they're advertising them as Christmas presents (ugh) and they at least imply they know enough about young guinea pigs to guarantee the sex of both of them.

arod18007

Cavy Slave
Likely breeders. They seem to know a lot about the babies, taking care of, sexing, selling the dad. Plus, advertising them as Christmas presents is just awful - they don't care if the babies go to a good home, they're looking for $. However, you can just ask if they're bred. Might not get an honest reply though.

missingMathilde

Cavy Slave
Well I'm going up tonight just to check things out. I did ask her about it and she said that there wasn't supposed to be a litter, that there was a daughter born as well but they're keeping her and the mom so as to avoid another unwanted litter. So I see both sides, hence why I wanted to see what conditions they're in, etc. So ill let you guys know when I get back what kind of feeling I'm getting from the homeand such.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.