Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Guinea pig with possible heart problems (started Hooting when eating breakfast).

EllaBellaMuffin

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hello. This morning, I discovered that my 10 month old female guinea pig was making a really weird sound while eating her morning romaine which I think is hooting. I am suspecting heart problems, but I really have no idea. We are going to take her to a vet. I am wondering if anyone else has experience with a pig making hooting when eating and also if anyone knows of a cavy savvy vet option in Manhattan. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's your decision, of course, but I wouldn't take one of mine because she's hooted once while eating. She could have a bit of food partially obstructing her airway that's causing it. I'd give it a while and see how she does.

Hooting can be a sign of heart disease, but less commonly so than having snuffled something up their noses or having a bit of food stuck. What you want to watch for is hooting after exertion, especially combined with lethargy and reluctance to move. Weight gain is another possible indicator of heart problems in an adult pig who's had no dietary changes.

EllaBellaMuffin

Cavy Slave
Muffin is a little obese, for such a young pig, and she is a bit lazy too. I have only found her easier to pick up recently.

Demiba

Cavy Slave
My Reecie is the same way, she hoots when she is overly excited about food or upset, so don't jump to the heart problems worrying just yet.

RodentsRus

Cavy Slave
Hello. This morning, I discovered that my 10 month old female guinea pig was making a really weird sound while eating her morning romaine which I think is hooting.

One of my girls after eating romaine lettuce did the same thing.. After spending $200 (X-rays, culture, and some other tests) She still does it time to time. I think that when she eats the lettuce that she gets some in her nose. She hoots the she does a few sneezes and then she back to her normal self.. So many it could be the same thing..

Good luck..

syberchick70

Cavy Slave
@bpatters You know, this 'hooting' thing comes up so often, I would suggest making a 'sticky' about it. You could call the thread 'Guinea making 'hoo' or 'hooting'/moaning Sound', give the details you did in this thread, perhaps include a link to a video where pigs are making that noise. It freaked me out and ultimately, I'm thinking it's really just the piggie getting something stuck and needing to clear it out UNLESS, as you said, it regularly follows exertion, etc. I think that would be very helpful to some. It might even be useful to include a list of common guinea sounds, with audio or video clips so people can hear what they sound like. Thanks :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Good idea, @syberchick70. I'll try to get around to doing that one day this week.

syberchick70

Cavy Slave

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
Last month my Anna ( 1 year 8 months) started making hooting sounds and I suspected that it was heart problems. She is a bit chunky looking (Via her body shape) but well within normal weight. She would make these sounds when she ate but they were very brief. I had taken her to the vet to get completely checked and looked over. She may of only had a slight case of Pneumonia but ate and was active. One thing you may want to focus on is if he/she isn't eating or being lethargic. It could pose a heart problem but in your case it could be as bpbatters said, she may have just had food in her airway.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.