Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection Never look a gift horse, they say....

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Both the grass and the alfalfa can cause loose stool if the pig isn't used to it.

I'm wondering though if something else is going on. Is she still on the antibiotic? Can you remind me which one it is?

As for the skin issue--do the second Revolution treatment, then treat for fungus. You can ask for vet for an anti-fungal shampoo.

syberchick70

Cavy Slave
She is still taking the antibiotic 'sulfatrim' (same as bactrim apparently), .3ml 2x/day. I haven't given her a probiotic yet, not sure what to get in that respect, or how to administer it. I took the grass away from her, she still has access to the hay, hopefully that isn't causing the problem because she really needs the extra nutrition. I'll try to post a picture of her fur later, on my way to do a job now. Thanks again for all of the help. You folks are awesome.

Field-of-Dreams

Cavy Slave
She needs some probiotics. Sounds like the anti's have played havoc with her system. (I know they do to MINE!)

Plus, check her skin on the bald spots really closely and see if you can see any new hair coming in.

And thanks, for taking such good care of her.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Yes, probiotic! Get some human baby asodphilis, crush it up and mix with water. Syringe feed it to her about 30 minuets after you give her antibiotic.

syberchick70

Cavy Slave
Ok, I bought some acidophilus, it's in capsules so I just opened one up and mixed in a little water and gave her some. I'll give her some more this evening after she gets her antibiotic.

I took some pictures of her coat, but they're kind of hard to see because she was wiggling around. 20131121_161609.jpg20131121_161645.jpg20131121_161742.jpg

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
@foggycreekcavy had the best suggestion for her fur. Treat with the Revolution and then call the vet and ask for an anti-fungal shampoo.

Poor little thing! I hope she recovers soon.

syberchick70

Cavy Slave
She gets the second dose of Revolution tomorrow. I hope it knocks out whatever this is.

syberchick70

Cavy Slave
Not great news today, it seems she's taken a turn for the worse. Her stools are still very soft and she's lost some weight, down to 15oz from yesterday. It's obvious that her energy is considerably lower. On a more positive note, she's still eating and drinking. I gave her a little bit of carrot, but was afraid to give her too much, just a few bites. I applied the second dose of Revolution. I'm also starting her on the goats milk and the bene bac gel which came with it. After reading up on it a bit, it looks like the goats milk is probably safe. She seemed to enjoy it. Kind of a desperate measure at this point. Back on the roller coaster I guess. :/ Keep our little girl in your thoughts.

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
Please do not give her the goat milk guinea pigs cannout digest animal protein and this most likely will make her digestive system more upset. Syringe her a pellet slurry or critical care as you have been instructed to several times before.

syberchick70

Cavy Slave
RIP little BQ.
She went downhill really quickly. I held her the last 2 hours so she wasn't alone when she took her last breath.
Thank you so much for all the kind, caring help you folks have offered. I don't think I'll be sticking around here.
Best wishes to all of you and your little critters.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
:( aww I'm so sorry. Guinea pigs can go down hill really fast and without warning. R.I.P little one, have fun exploring the rainbow bridge. She'll be waiting for you to join her one day.

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
I'm so sorry! You did everything you could for her. RIP little guinea pig.

syberchick70

Cavy Slave
Thank you all. It was pretty heartbreaking. We buried her in the back yard and planted a rose with her. :'(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.