Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General How can I gain my new guinea pigs trust if she won't take food from me?

Guineapigrescue

Cavy Slave
OK so on Saturday I adopted a rescued guinea pig. It was kinda an impulse buy and I probably shouldn't have purchased her w/out reading and doing my research first. So anyway I purchased her for 15 dollars including the cage she was in as well as 2 bowls, a chew toy, and a water bottle. All for around 15 dollars. I also purchased bedding, timothy hay, a nice house for her to hide in, and guinea pig food. So anyway once I got home I put her into her cage and left her to settle in for the rest of the day. Sunday I spent a few good minutes getting to know her a bit better. Her name is Princess and her story is that she was abandoned and someone brought her up to petco to sell her. Anyway she is very skittish around people and barely comes out of her house when there is people around. She doesn't like to be held, and she refuses to eat anything but timothy hay. She won't even take food from my hand as I try to gain her trust. I heard that the key to a guinea pigs heart is food but if she won't take food from me then how can I gain her trust? Plus as much as I would love to get her a playmate, it's just not in the budget right now. My goal for her right now is to not be so fearful of people. Thanks!

Guineapigrescue

Cavy Slave
Thanks. Yeah she lets me pet her in her cage if her house isn't in her cage or is flipped over. I just feel that I'm not spending enough time with her out of her cage. She would love a playmate, yes, and as much as I would love to get her one, I can't. I feel like she's getting a bit lonely. With time hopefully she will begin to trust me. I will try the cut up veggies thing for sure. Thanks again!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
It's only been 6 days. It can take weeks or even months for a guinea pig to trust its owner. They are prey animals by nature and right now, to her, you are a giant monster. She doesn't know if you want to give her something to eat or if you want to eat HER.

During laptime, pet her gently so she gets used to your touch. Also maybe place a bit of carrot or green pepper near her but not holding it. Guinea pigs will not eat if they are nervous or tense. If she is relaxed enough to eat, this is the start of her associating you with positive things. Once she is okay with eating on your lap, the next laptime, try holding out a bit of food on your open palm and see if she will eat off your hand. The next laptime, try holding food in your fingers. She needs to learn to associate your presence with positive things.

beachgurl_1988

Cavy Slave
You can try not actually picking her up but instead scooping her into a cut open shoebox or something- it seems to be less stressful for them than chasing them around the cage with your hands.

It will take a while but she will come around. You have to think she was probably some guinea pig that someone got for their kid and she was never handled much. I always found that yummy treats like apple or a peice of a strawberry-things my piggie doesn't get all the time because of the sugar- worked wonders on getting them to come around.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.