Thread: I Donno Anything about my piggies some guidance PLEASE!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/2 Posts

Unhappy I Donno Anything about my piggies some guidance PLEASE!!!

i got 2 female piggies. i was told that they are 3-4 months old, but i feel that they both are lethargic.
    maybe because they were brought to my home 20 days ago. or is there any problem.

and also they are not coming out of their hides they only come out for food.

i'm feeling so sad that they are not playing and running and they both feel scared.

please give some advice that how to become more familiar to them??

Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4070 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,513 Rec'd/6,003 Posts

Re: I Donno Anything about my piggies some guidance PLEASE!!!

There are some good articles at www.cavyspirit.com, and on the main page of this site. Read those and then post back here if you've got specific questions.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    27 Rec'd/27 Posts

What kind of cage do they have? Pet store cages are too small, and guinea pigs will get bored because they have no room to run around. Also, what kind of bedding do you use? Cedar is toxic to pigs, and they can get a URI (upper respiratory infection) from it. Make sure you give them veggies daily (I think it is 1/2 to 1 cup daily) and bell peppers are good for vitamin C, which they can't produce on their own. You can feed them veggies by hand and hold them to get them used to you, and if they won't let you pick them up you can get them to go into a hidey or a box in their cage and then just pick up the box/hidey with them in it. Welcome to the forum!

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Inle_Rabbit's Avatar
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Quoted
    568 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,104 Rec'd/793 Posts

How big of a cage do you have them in?

Guinea pigs are prey animals so they usually hang out in their hiding places. Right now all of my 5 are hiding even though they are all very tame.

I tamed my guinea pigs by only giving them their veggies by hand. I started out hand feeding them near the entrances of their hiding places them moved farther back until they got use to it. Hand feeding them veggies while you hold them for lap time is another good away to get them use to you and let them know you are a good thing and not something that will eat them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/2 Posts

i have a cage of around 3.5 feet to 1.5 feet.

Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quoted
    773 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,243 Rec'd/995 Posts

That's a pretty small cage. Can you make something larger?

Its normal for guinea pigs pigs to be scared and nervous. Give them some time to get used to you, and read up all you can about guinea pigs, here and at www.guinealynx.info .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/2 Posts

im planning to bring 1 more cage of same size (i.e 3.5 X 1.5) and will merge them.
    the one i feel is pregnant is not letting me touch her and whenever i give her veggies she take it and go inside hidies so is it due to pregnancy or she is taking time to know me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

My piggies were the same way at first. I sat quietly in front of their cage for a couple of days before giving them treats for a couple of days. It seemed to help them get used to me and my family. We have one piggie that wheeks for human attention and loves to be caressed. The others enjoy our attention and snuggling, but Rosie is something special. I find that moving slowly and placing my hands low in the cage helps them feel more comfortable when I want to pick them up. Remember that birds are a natural predator to guinea pigs so quickly grabbing them from above is terrifying to them.

We had a pregnant piggie who didn't care to be held during the pregnancy. She tolerated it, but certainly didn't enjoy being held. I suppose it's terribly uncomfortably in the later stages. The poor girls tummy practically hung on the floor when she walked. Continue to give her time and be patient. One day she'll love you as much as you love her.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/2 Posts

yah before giving them veggies i sit outside their cage and watches them.. and the pregnant guinea looks too much scared to come out.. ill give both of them some time to be familier...

User Tag List