Thread: Guinea pig coughing and sneezing?

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Guinea pig coughing and sneezing?

Hey all,

So I've noticed that both of my guinea pigs have been sneezing a lot. More than usual it seems. And sometimes they make this phlegm sort of noise and I'm not sure what it is. Is it coughing? It sounds like they have mucus stuck in their throat or nose and they're choking cause they can't get it out! Then after they make that noise they seem fine. Everything else about them is fine because they're still eating and drinking and have no watery eyes etc. OTHER than maybe a bit more scratching than usual and I found flecks on their rear end fur. (I made a separate post about this too)

All their symptoms just don't seem to match up. Am I just being paranoid?

My question was whether that noise is a cough or something else, and if they may have a URI? I've been to the vet two days ago but they said my piggies were fine. Can a vet tell if a guinea pig has a URI just by checking them?

Thank you in advance!!

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Guineapigpro's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    256 Rec'd/202 Posts
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    138 Post(s)

Re: Guinea pig coughing and sneezing?

Do they have fleece or bedding? If it's bedding, what kind of bedding is it?

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guineapigpro View Post
    Do they have fleece or bedding? If it's bedding, what kind of bedding is it?
    They're on fleece and have been on fleece since I got them. Patches has been on fleece since he was born but Apples wasn't because I got her recently and the previous owners were moving so they had her in a tiny carry cage with newspaper. She seemed pretty small for her age so maybe she was a bit sick already? I don't know but they both only started sneezing a lot a few weeks after I got Apples.

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Could baths cause excessive sneezing and coughing? I've only ever given one bath ever but maybe that may be the cause?
    Last edited by tiffanyspiggies; 11-10-13 at 07:00 pm.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,566 Rec'd/1,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    600 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1154 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tiffanyspiggies View Post
    Could baths cause excessive sneezing and coughing? I've only ever given one bath ever but maybe that may be the cause?
    ANYTHING could be the cause, but I seriously doubt that bathing them had anything to do with it. If that were the case, my two would be a mess. I honestly wouldn't worry about it. You and I sneeze and cough occasionally and we don't even think about it. You apparently see a vet regularly and the vet has pronounced them in good health?

Don't focus on isolated "symptoms". When a vet examines a cavy, s/he considers the whole piggy and various signs and symptoms all put together in the presentation. That's what a vet is trained to do.

When a cavy is not feeling well, there will be behavioral changes. Now many say that they are good at hiding symptoms, but I don't believe that....... if you interact with them a lot. Of course, most people don't spend the amount of time with their piggies that I do. Our cavy cage sits alongside my desk in my home office, so I have the opportunity to see them a great deal when I'm working from home. I don't think my husband will ever understand why I'm so bonded to them.

6. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    185 Rec'd/162 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    144 Post(s)

Did you QT her?

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    ANYTHING could be the cause, but I seriously doubt that bathing them had anything to do with it. If that were the case, my two would be a mess. I honestly wouldn't worry about it. You and I sneeze and cough occasionally and we don't even think about it. You apparently see a vet regularly and the vet has pronounced them in good health?

Don't focus on isolated "symptoms". When a vet examines a cavy, s/he considers the whole piggy and various signs and symptoms all put together in the presentation. That's what a vet is trained to do.

When a cavy is not feeling well, there will be behavioral changes. Now many say that they are good at hiding symptoms, but I don't believe that....... if you interact with them a lot. Of course, most people don't spend the amount of time with their piggies that I do. Our cavy cage sits alongside my desk in my home office, so I have the opportunity to see them a great deal when I'm working from home. I don't think my husband will ever understand why I'm so bonded to them.
    Thank you for reasurring me, I hope you're right!!
    I don't think I would be able to work if they were with me while I work - I'd just be playing with them all day long

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuineaPigster View Post
    Did you QT her?
    As in, quarantine her? I actually didn't and I think that may be the main reason they're both being a bit odd
    On a side note, I also wondered what it may mean if Apples had really flimsy looking teeth? I don't know how to describe it but Patches has really white strong teeth but Apples seems to have weaker, not white but more browny coloured teeth. I made sure to feed her right and I have seen some improvement but her teeth are still far from what they should look like.
    I might be able to post a pic later on but if you do know anything about that ...

Thanks
    Thanks
    185 Rec'd/162 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    144 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tiffanyspiggies View Post
    As in, quarantine her? I actually didn't and I think that may be the main reason they're both being a bit odd
    On a side note, I also wondered what it may mean if Apples had really flimsy looking teeth? I don't know how to describe it but Patches has really white strong teeth but Apples seems to have weaker, not white but more browny coloured teeth. I made sure to feed her right and I have seen some improvement but her teeth are still far from what they should look like.
    I might be able to post a pic later on but if you do know anything about that ...
    Sorry! I belong to a fish forum, and we abbreviate Quarantine into QT.
    I meant when you first got her, did you put her in a separate cage and watch for illness?

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuineaPigster View Post
    Sorry! I belong to a fish forum, and we abbreviate Quarantine into QT.
    I meant when you first got her, did you put her in a separate cage and watch for illness?
    Haha it was a good guess
    No I didn't I kind of messed up that process because I didn't know I had to back then :/

User Tag List