Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

Scratching/Nibbling/Sneezing?

I've just gotten two 9-13 week year old female guinea pigs, and they both scratch and nibble themselves a fair bit. It's not constant, and I've checked for any visible signs of fleas/parasites etc and can't find any. I did take them to a vet but she was so incompetent when it came to even handling guinea pigs that I had to take them off her because they where screeching in pain, so I don't really trust her advice of 'wait and see'. They're on wood shavings at the minute, which aren't scented/coloured etc, and since I'm in the UK the type of shavings isn't specified (cedar, pine etc), it just says 'wood shavings'.

I've owned guinea pigs before and they where kept on wood shavings, and they where exceptionally healthy, so I'm wondering if my two girls could have an allergy to them? it does seem a little unlikely that they'd both have it though...I THINK they've both been sneezing/coughing as well, but again, my two boys where always exceptionally healthy so I've never heard a cough/sneeze before. I'm planning on moving them to fleece next week after researching how to clean/use it properly, but in the mean time does anyone have any other idea's about why they could be doing these things? A friend who owns and has always owned guinea pigs for a good few years says some of his just itch all the time and don't have mites/fleas etc, could it be possible that it's just part of their personality that they sneeze, scratch, nibble etc?

Thanks
    Thanks
    81 Rec'd/71 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)

Re: Scratching/Nibbling/Sneezing?

Any other signs of illness associated with the sneezing (ie runny nose, eye goop, etc)?

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Princess_Piggie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

They seem perfectly healthy in every other aspect, however I've only had them a week so I haven't had long to get to know them and notice if they're acting differently.

Thanks
    Thanks
    81 Rec'd/71 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)

Were they kept on shavings before?

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Princess_Piggie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

They where kept on shavings in the pet shop, yeah. I wouldn't usually get an animal from a pet shop, all the rest of my pets have been rescues, but where I live guinea pigs really aren't common pets so they don't get them in shelters usually.
    I didn't notice any scratching on day one, but they where hiding most of the day so I wouldn't have seen it if there was any!

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Guineapigpro's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    256 Rec'd/202 Posts
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    138 Post(s)

I would think that could be the reason. I believe wood shavings can be dusty. I would get the fleece ( as your already planning on :) ) and see if after a few days, the symptoms decrease.

User Tag List