Thread: Black/brown specks on guinea pig butt fur?

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Black/brown specks on guinea pig butt fur?

Hey guys,

Well, I recently noticed tiny brownish blackish flecks on my guinea pigs white fur. I have found this on both of my guinea pigs but only on their rear end. I have never seen this before in my previous guinea pigs, but maybe I haven't inspected their butts before previously. Is this normal? Or should I be concerned?

Tjanks for any help in advance!
    -tiffanyspiggies
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1384064510449.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	57310   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1384064525811.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	57311  

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    865 Rec'd/698 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)

Re: Black/brown specks on guinea pig butt fur?

When there were flecks like that on my pigs' rear ends, it was lice. It might be worth looking into getting Ivermectin or Revolution.

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ThePigAlchemist View Post
    When there were flecks like that on my pigs' rear ends, it was lice. It might be worth looking into getting Ivermectin or Revolution.
    Thank you for the help! I'm just confused because I went to the vet yesterday and they said my piggies were fine and they checked their rear end as well... However, I've been notcing that they have been scratching a lot more than usual and they tend to drag their bums on the fleece sometimes... Does this indicate mites? I thought so and told the vet but they said nothing on piggies seemed conclusive so I should return two weeks later

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    865 Rec'd/698 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)

If you can see them, they're not mites. The scratching could indicate lice (to be honest, I don't remember if I noticed more scratching when my pigs had lice). The butt-dragging is just territory marking I believe.

I had mixed experiences with lice. The first time I noticed them, I showed the vet and he confirmed it. The second time, a different vet didn't see a problem (he wasn't terribly cavy-savvy though). Ivermectin will take care of lice (and mites) and you can get it without a vet visit. It also won't hurt your pigs if they don't have mites or lice (though those pictures look exactly how my pigs looked when they had lice). I don't have any experience with Ivermectin though, so I'll leave that to someone else.

5. "Thank you, ThePigAlchemist, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    81 Rec'd/71 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)

I've treated lice with ivermectin before. I went to the local tractor supply and bought the generic brand for $3.99.

http://www.guinealynx.info/lice.html

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TwoMissPiggies View Post
    I've treated lice with ivermectin before. I went to the local tractor supply and bought the generic brand for $3.99.

http://www.guinealynx.info/lice.html
    Is it easy to treat with? My vet said that if I treated them and they didn't have lice, it would have bad side effects. I'm just concerned

Thanks
    Thanks
    81 Rec'd/71 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)

That's all I use when my pigs get lice. Never had side effects.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    53 Rec'd/45 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

There cant be side effects from something you treat your pet with for parasites, unless you use the wrong thing. If you treat them for lice when they have lice, and there aren't side effects, then there would never be a reason for there to be side effects for treating them as a preventative action.

Alfonz, Marbles and Jellybean get lice every other week it seems, because my petstore seems to always have them, and they come in with my hay, the boys honestly have never been truly bothered by the lice, I just have to treat them all over again. I cant get Ivermectin from my feed store here, so I had to use the Advantage that is safe for piggies, but Ive run out of that and have to contact my vet and see if I can get ivermectin through them.

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alfonzpig View Post
    There cant be side effects from something you treat your pet with for parasites, unless you use the wrong thing. If you treat them for lice when they have lice, and there aren't side effects, then there would never be a reason for there to be side effects for treating them as a preventative action.

Alfonz, Marbles and Jellybean get lice every other week it seems, because my petstore seems to always have them, and they come in with my hay, the boys honestly have never been truly bothered by the lice, I just have to treat them all over again. I cant get Ivermectin from my feed store here, so I had to use the Advantage that is safe for piggies, but Ive run out of that and have to contact my vet and see if I can get ivermectin through them.
    Thank you! Ill go look for ivermectin. Better safe than sorry

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    53 Rec'd/45 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

its always better safe than sorry . Pigs seem to be able to give us a scare every other day.

This morning when I woke up, I freaked out because Alfonz had a HUGE gash on his foot and up his leg, so I made the boyfriend help me catch him, and when I inspected his "huge gash" it was blackberry juice....he must have decided to sleep on his blackberry . No wound, but for a few minutes I was going very crazy.

12. "Thank you, alfonzpig, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alfonzpig View Post
    its always better safe than sorry . Pigs seem to be able to give us a scare every other day.

This morning when I woke up, I freaked out because Alfonz had a HUGE gash on his foot and up his leg, so I made the boyfriend help me catch him, and when I inspected his "huge gash" it was blackberry juice....he must have decided to sleep on his blackberry . No wound, but for a few minutes I was going very crazy.
    Hahahaa!! Aw at least it wasn't anything serious in the end

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    53 Rec'd/45 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

Haha yeah, the pigs are always in good shape, and Alfonz and Marbles get along really well, so I was really shocked to see Alfonz, the older pig, wounded, but thankfully he just decided to sleep on a blackberry

Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/9 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

How do you know what's a normal amount of scratching vs. probable mites/lice? My guy seems to be scratching more and nibbling at himself on his back (where he can reach, obviously).

User Tag List