Thread: Will my wild pigs ever be tame?? Worried.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Will my wild pigs ever be tame?? Worried.

My boyfriend and I adopted two baby pigs, and they won't let us come near picking them up. They are little tear-aways! We have to chase them down. When we do get them, one of them is ok SOMETIMES and will sit there and let you pet him, and sometimes he won't stay still. The other sits and fusses the whole time. Mostly we take them out to change their cage. They live in our living room with us, and they hear our voices all the time, and we talk to them whenever they go by, and they're OK with that and wheek for food sometimes if they hear a bag rustle. I'm just worried they'll stay wild... They are about 3 1/2 months old. Thanks for all your expert advice! We're adult owners and decided to have two little piggies in our life!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    41 Rec'd/29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Items for Sale

Re: Will my wild pigs ever be tame?? Worried.

How long have u had ur piggies? It can take time -- that being said my girls squeal when being picked up, and run

Just give them time and use veggie treats to gain their trust

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

It's true, we haven't had them long, a couple months! I just have memories...when I was a kid...and I can't remember the pigs ever running from me. I just remember scooping them up! . Then I also see these videos on Youtube of people just petting their pigs in their enclosure and having them sat on their laps all docile. And some say the pigs don't ever pee on them when they're held, but mine did last night. Whaaa! Well, the first time she didn't. We do use treats to gain trust and hand feed them a lot. I also worry because I'm grabbing them out of their pen to hold them that I'm LOSING their trust, but we have to spend time with them and hold them, also clean their cage. :S Argh. Thanks for your answer!

4. "Thank you, Lucynzsky, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    736 Rec'd/509 Posts
    Blog Entries

Some pigs are fine about being picked up, while others never get comfortable with it. As prey animals, being scooped up by a huge creature is too much like being captured by an eagle. It won't hurt anything to keep handling them. That's how you get them used to it.

I have two girls, and one lets me pick her up easily and pet her in the cage. The other likes to give me the run around because she's just a more flighty pig. You just have to accept them for who they are. At the very least, they'll both learn to run to you for treats, even if they're always shy about being picked up. You can hold them in a cozy or something else to help them feel secure while they're learning and getting used to you.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts

That's why I prefer to adopt adult guinea pigs because you already can see their dispositions. Pups are wild. They have no clue that you aren't going to harm them so you're a predator to them and they'll try and get away from you. It takes time and patience to get them to trust you. You need to handle them a lot and not scare them. There's no guarantee that they will end up as lap pigs because you really don't know what their dispositions are. Like humans, there are shy and outgoing ones, friendly and aloof personalities. Bringing in multiple young ones is harder to work with because they're playing off one another instead of bonding to you. Just feed them while you hold them in your lap and handle them as much as possible.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Yes, our next piggies are going to be older adopted ones, so we will know for sure! Looking forward to bringing them home in a year or two! You're certainly right about that one. Thanks for all the advice. I'm REALLY hoping when they get older, they will settle down more and I'll be able to pick them up easier? Once I grabbed them in the morning early when they were groggy and I just picked them up like a sack of potatoes. It was unbelievable. . Wish it could be that way all the time!

Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quoted
    773 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,243 Rec'd/995 Posts

In my experience, as pigs age and are handled gently and often they usually settle down. Still hard to catch, but fine with sitting quietly on your lap. Bribing them helps immensely.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    53 Rec'd/42 Posts

What kind of hideys do you have in your cage? Are they big enough to stick your hand in? Mine were very very wild when I first got them, and I found a tactic that helped me tame them quite quickly. I used to shoo the guinea pig I was after into a pigloo, then put my hand in after, blocking them from running out. In the pigloo, I would slide my hand under their belly and lift them out of the pigloo, where I would immediately use my other hand to support their backside and bring them close to my body. After a few months of doing this nearly every day I noticed a big change in their disposition as I gained their trust. They're now very easy to catch and will usually sit quietly during lap time They do still run away though-but usually just into a corner or something before waiting for me to scoop them up.

If you keep persisting I'm sure yours will settle down and come to know you as the bringer of food, haha good luck!

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Thank you all very much for the advice! I will take all of it!

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Update! (I do this for others who may be researching!) One of my pigs now allows me to pick her up! She loves lap time and rolls around in her cuddle cup as I pet her, and today I got face kisses!! I'm over the moon about that!

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Oh, the other allows me to pet her in the cage but freaks if I try to pick her up., wild still! But I haven't put in ad much time with her admittedly... She's so hard to get out, like a greased weasel. Lol

User Tag List