Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy New baby pig adopted from local pet store possibly pregnant?

pandatoco

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and hope you can help me.
I just adopted a new baby girl from a local pet shop (Who said she was a boy), She is bleeding in her private part and I was told it's a sign of pregnancy or menstrual cycle. I'm not quite sure myself as I've never had a pregnant guinea. I've posted some pictures so you can see yourself (They don't do as much justice as real life however). I would like to know if she is pregnant and if so how do I care for her/ the babies. All help is welcomed.

cavvy 017.jpgcavvy 016.jpgcavvy 015.jpgcavvy 020.jpgcavvy 019.jpg

pandatoco

Cavy Slave
I suppose this is an urgent matter, any help would be great.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Guinea pigs do not bleed as part of their cycle or pregnancy. She needs to see a vet ASAP.

pandatoco

Cavy Slave
The pet shop that we got her at said it could be that she's pregnant or menstruating. It isn't either? And do you know what it could possibly be?

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
I do not have the guinea pig medical knowledge to speculate on what the blood could be but I can tell you the pet store is wrong. Guinea pigs do not bleed as part of their cycle and any blood in pregnancy of any animal is not a normal or good thing.

How long have you had her?

pandatoco

Cavy Slave
We just got her today actually, she was the only pig left in the local pet shop and they seemed to have no knowledge of her.

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
Poor thing. :(

If she was housed with males there is a good chance and is pregnant but with the bleeding she needs to see a vet. Sooner rather than later.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Could it be a sign of a UTI?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Bleeding always needs a vet visit. The only time it's normal to see blood is immediately after the birth of pups, and even that clears up pretty quickly. I'd get her to a good exotic vet ASAP.

pandatoco

Cavy Slave
Thank you everyone for your help. We called the pet shop we bought her at and they took her back and we were told she would be given back to the breeder for further care. So she will be taken to the vet and be seen about.
Thank you so much for everything.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@pandatoco, unfortunately, you've run into a problem with pet store pigs. They're often ill and missexed, and pet stores know nothing about their care. Your store may be unusual in its care for pigs, but what often happens in the situation you describe is that the pig is simply killed. They're not worth enough financially to the breeders to make it worth treating them. Additionally, pet store pigs are bred and kept in horrible conditions, and purchasing them just creates a demand for more to be bred.

If you get another pig, please consider getting one from a shelter, rescue, or private owner who needs to rehome a pig. That way, you won't be supporting the horrible breeding business.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
Thank you everyone for your help. We called the pet shop we bought her at and they took her back and we were told she would be given back to the breeder for further care. So she will be taken to the vet and be seen about.
Thank you so much for everything.

........ Horrible idea.. I would have taken her to your own cavy savvy vet. There is NO way this breeder will care enough to properly take care of this girl. They would not put more money into her than what they think she is worth. That is all they care about. Profit!

alfonzpig

Cavy Slave
You did what you thought was the best thing to do for this little girl pig, and I commend you for doing your best.

Next time, don't return a pet to the pet store, they are shameful in their knowledge of most animals they sell.

Everyone, a new pig owner, who doesn't know what they are doing, did the best thing they could think of. No one expects an immediate emergency vet visit when they buy a new pet. Take it easy one this person please.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
You did what you thought was the best thing to do for this little girl pig, and I commend you for doing your best.

Next time, don't return a pet to the pet store, they are shameful in their knowledge of most animals they sell.

Everyone, a new pig owner, who doesn't know what they are doing, did the best thing they could think of. No one expects an immediate emergency vet visit when they buy a new pet. Take it easy one this person please.

No one is putting the poster down. We are just voicing our thoughts on the matter. Next time the poster will know how to approach an issue like this. It is a learning experience for sure.

alfonzpig

Cavy Slave
Yeah and a horrible learning experience, I feel horrible for the poster, it would be a real disappointment to have a pet, and then have to take it back because you don't know what is best to do for its health.

I recommend doing a lot of research before thinking of another guinea pig, they honestly become much more in depth pets once you own one, I know mine are an ongoing set of renovations and new vegetables that my family has to eat lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.