Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Medications Oxbow Urinary Support Tablets-Thoughts?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I've been using them since one of my pigs had stone surgery just before Christmas. I don't know if they help, but they don't seem to hurt. And a recent x-ray confirmed that she's still stone free.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Years ago, I spoke with a herbalist who had a store in my town. I suffered from kidney stones and had a male guinea pig who died from stones. She said hydrangea root (increases urine flow), mallow (astringent, diuretic, anti-inflammatory) and corn silk (reduces inflammation of the urinary tract) are all herbs that are recommended for people with stones but she didn't know the strengths to treat small animals.

alphilip77

Cavy Slave
@bpatters : Do you give each pig a whole tablet or half? The instructions say guinea pigs should get half a tablet daily, but I don't know of many adult guinea pigs weighing less than 1 lb. Also, are you supposed to feed it as a mush or just give them the dry tablet?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I give mine a whole tablet each -- they take them out of my hand. They love them.

alphilip77

Cavy Slave
@Kelsie: How are the immune support tablets? Do you feel they're effective?

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
I also give these as a treat 2 or 3 times a week. I give each one a whole tablet and they love them.

i've been using them for about 6 mos and while I don't see them as a sure thing to prevent stones, I look at it as a possible boost to their urinary health. Just like most human herbal supplements, there are believers and non believers and not a lot of "proof" they work or don't work. But I figure it can't hurt.

vegantreegirl

Cavy Slave
I'm reviving this thread, because I was going to ask this question myself. I had a 6 year old female piggy who had blood in her urine almost exactly a year ago. My regular exotic vet was out on maternity leave, so I took her to the only other vet who treats exotics in my town. Without really examining her he declared a UTI and gave me antibiotics. I gave them to her just as prescribed, but she quickly went down hill and passed away. :( Her best piggy friend just recently came down with the exact same symptoms. I called and found out my old exotic vet never came back to the practice after her maternity leave. Thankfully, there are a couple more qualified piggy vets in my town now and I was impressed with the one I took Arya, my piggy, to. She's currently on antibiotics, but I bought the Oxbow tabs to hopefully prevent her and my other piggy, Perlita from ever going through this again. I especially don't want a repeat of last year. :( I asked the vet about them and she basically said the same as others "They may help and definitely won't do any harm, so might as well try."

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.