Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior They don't popcorn much anymore

everydaylou

Cavy Slave
My 4 pigs have it made. Their cage is 7x2. There are hidey holes and huts and room to run. They get fresh foods, and a variety of them, plus hay and grass. They get petted and played with. I love on them several times a day.

It used to be that every time I cleaned their cage, they went bananas and ran around like little crazies. Now they just look at me like, "where's the hay, lady", and then dive in.

No joy. No love.

I'm worried they are unhappy. That or they're just total ingrates who have no idea how good they have it.

Linds

Cavy Slave
Maybe make some toys that are incorporated with hay, veggies, or other treats so they are more stimulated? Like putting hay in an toilet paper roll.

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
older piggies are said to popcorn less. it could be that they used to be scared of you when you clean the cage and run like crazy, but now they are more used to you! :)

janinehunt

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I would engage in a little cage-side bag rustling! Works for my 2 year old girls twice a day at meal times. Pumpkin always puts on a good show!

everydaylou

Cavy Slave
I always take them out and put them in a smaller space while the cleaning happens- I don't think they were ever scared. It was always the jump for joy because of all the hay and room to race around. They get excited and wheek like crazy when I rustle a bag or walk by them, just no popcorning. I miss the popcorning.

everydaylou

Cavy Slave
and they do have toys and boxes and tubes. I'm always putting something new in the cage.

petgal49

Cavy Slave
You are doing everything right! They probably are popcorning in their heads 24/7!

gatorgirl

Cavy Slave
Hmm, I got my pigs less than a week ago and have only seen this popcorn phenomenon once. When I approach the cage with salads, all I get is long whistles. :/

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Don't worry my piggie has done the same thing the first year an a half she popcorned all the time. Now she is 5 years old and she's stoped quite a bit. She still does it every now and then but it has stop significantly since then. They are very lucky pigs once they get used to things they seem to settle down. They are just comfortable now. Also the older they get they can start settling down. Guinea pig years go by faster than human years just like dogs and cats.

piggi_zone

Cavy Slave
Guinea pig years go by faster than human years just like dogs and cats.
I agree way too fast, although I love both but they are soo cute when they are little.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.