Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Question New guinea pig isn't running away when we try to get him out

Hi, we recently purchased a guinea pig from a local pet store (they rehome older pigs as well, he was one of the rehomes). Anyway, I've been concerned about him because he hasnt (to my knowledge) been coming out to eat (he did eat a carrot the other day though), he doesnt try to get away when we get him out, and he has the tendency to be somewhat limp. For instance, he'll let you lift half of his body up and wont try to run away or do anything, which I feel is not normal.

We've only had him for about a day, and I am aware he needs time to settle in. Its just that we've had several pigs and when we initially got them they never did anything like this. His name is Thorin, he's smaller for an adult guinea pig, and he does not have a friend (I would have him a friend if possible, however I'm in college, so my mother and my little sister primarily take care of him and my mom isnt willing to clean up after that). Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner sugarandspice's Avatar
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    130 Rec'd/94 Posts

Re: New guinea pig isn't running away when we try to get him out

I would make a vet appointment just to make sure everything is alright, yet this is still only the first day, so.

Does he have a hidey? When guinea pigs first come home they are pretty much in shock. Let him take sometime to get used of his environment. That will probably explain why he hasn't eaten much.

Make sure your vet is cavy savvy: http://www.guinealynx.info/vet.html , http://www.guineapigzone.com/vets

Also, do you have a c&c cage? If you don't, I would recommend not getting him a friend for now.

Right now, I would leave him alone until you take him to the vet. Always make sure his water bottle and food bowl is filled, though.

User Tag List