Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Need advice/help, blood found on towel

I was sitting in the room with my guinea pigs today, and I suddenly heard a brief, high-pitched squeak come from one of them, at which point she began to toss and turn under the blanket. Thinking this to be a sign of discomfort, I went over to look at her, and when I lifted up the towel she moved around a little bit. Underneath her, I found a few smeared dots of brightish red that I'm assuming is blood. I picked her up immediately and looked at her bottom which seemed to be okay. Her anus was visible and there was a slight bit of mucousy material but I didn't seem to see any blood. Is this a sign of a serious condition or a normal thing for female guinea pigs that are two-ish years of age? not sure if I need to have a vet come to see her or not, but I'm pretty worried as it is. Very paranoid, not sure if she's acting off lately or not. Have her on my lap right now, advice would be much appreciated.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Need advice/help, blood found on towel

Also, I've been noticing she's been sneezing a few times throughout the day and is a little itchy lately

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    24 Rec'd/20 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

I did a quick guinea lynx search and it says that a UTI can cause blood in the urine, as can bladder stones, and Interstitial Cystitis. I can't give any medical advice, but maybe put her on white paper towels for a few hours to see if and how she passes more urine? Just a thought.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Blood on Towel Underneath pig, strange behavior-Need help/advice

I was sitting in the room with my guinea pigs today, and I suddenly heard a brief, high-pitched squeak come from one of them, at which point she began to toss and turn under the blanket. Thinking this to be a sign of discomfort, I went over to look at her, and when I lifted up the towel she moved around a little bit. Underneath her, I found a few smeared dots of brightish red that I'm assuming is blood. I picked her up immediately and looked at her bottom which seemed to be okay. Her anus was visible and there was a slight bit of mucousy material but I didn't seem to see any blood. Is this a sign of a serious condition or a normal thing for female guinea pigs that are two-ish years of age? not sure if I need to have a vet come to see her or not, but I'm pretty worried as it is. Very paranoid, not sure if she's acting off lately or not. Have her on my lap right now, advice would be much appreciated. I think I'll make a vet appointment once morning hits.

Care Info: I switched from Timothy to Alfalfa Hay for alergy reasons and now I'm reading that this may be harmful? I've tried researching it before and nothing's come up, I happened to stumble upon these allusions. could this be causing anything? Also, the pigs are on a pellet-free diet consisting of veggies, hay, and oats.

Additional Info: I've also noticed she's been scratching lately and sneezing too I think- not tons but a few times a day. Also, she is making was making this weird movement with her mouth earlier, opening it and then closing it in a weird way. Not much to go on, but any advice would help.

Thanks
    Thanks
    185 Rec'd/162 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    144 Post(s)

I would take her in, definitely. I can't give you an exact diagnosis, but I can see that with all those symptoms, she needs to go to the vet.

Thanks
    Thanks
    501 Rec'd/422 Posts
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Quoted
    239 Post(s)

Re: Blood on Towel Underneath pig, strange behavior-Need help/advice

I would take her to the vet as soon as possible. The blood, pain while urinating and high calcium diet (because of the alfalfa hay - which is not good for pigs over 6 months old unless they are a pregnant or nursing sow) are all signs of a bladder stone, it could also be a urinary tract infection but I would consider a bladder stone much more likely in this case.

An x-ray will need to be taken so the vet can first confirm it is a stone, and also so the vet can see the location and size of the stone if there is a stone. An operation may be required to have the removed if it is to large for her to pass. If it is not a stone then she needs to go on an antibiotic (you will also need a pro-biotic) as soon as you can get it for her to minimize her pain. I suggest you do some reading about bladder stones and urinary infections in guinea pigs, many people on the site guinea lynx have threads on their own personal experiences with both.

For future note there are other hays guinea pigs can eat, I personally feed my pigs oaten hay as this is the most viable option in my location, however you can also feed most long strand grass hays. What you want to avoid are legume hays and straws.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,255 Rec'd/5,780 Posts
    Mentioned
    2033 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3823 Post(s)

Re: Blood on Towel Underneath pig, strange behavior-Need help/advice

I'd get her to a vet -- bleeding always needs to be investigated by a vet. Make sure it's an exotic vet -- dog-and-cat vets are a waste of time and money.

Alfalfa is not suitable for older pigs -- it's not a grass, it's a legume, like peas, and it's got too much calcium for them. You need a long strand grass hay, such as meadow, orchard, blue or brome.

Mouth movements can be a sign of tooth problems, and the earlier you catch them, the better. But don't let a vet just look into her mouth with a scope and tell you the teeth are ok -- she needs dental x-rays, one from the side and one from the top. They can't find elongated roots without an x-ray.

User Tag List