Thanks
    Thanks
    80 Rec'd/47 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)

Question Signs of a URI?

Okay, So one of my girls, Ponyo has been randomly sneezing. its not all the time, she could go all day with out doing it then the next day shes sneezing a bit, Its very random. I hear it when she is in her hidey, then also I hear and see it when she sits her head in the hay..literally Lol. Sometimes I think its because she got Hay dust or something in her nose. But then again when I hear it when she is in her hidey, it worries me. She has no discharge from the nose or eyes, her ears look fine.

Should I take Ponyo and Ryoko to the vet just for a check up? (Ryoko is showing no signs of sneezing or anything). The signs of sneezing I see/hear are very trivial and I am not to sure if this is a sign of a URI or she just sneezes randomly...
    Follow my newly made instagram!! You can see some awesome picture of my two girls Ponyo & Ryoko!!

http://instagram.com/squishfuzz

Thanks
    Thanks
    481 Rec'd/326 Posts
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    182 Post(s)

Re: Signs of a URI?

Have you been weighing them? One of the best indications of illness is weight loss, you'll want to weigh them around the same time each day at first and then you can do just a weekly weigh-in. I error on the side of caution and take my piggies to the vet even if I just feel they are a little "off". When I took Huey in the vet was surprised that I noticed anything wrong with him. She said he was just at the very beginning of a URI and was only able to determine that by listening to his lungs with the stethoscope. I was glad I listened to my gut even though he hadn't shown the normal signs of a URI yet. I take my 10 piggies to http://www.familypetstl.com/ and she is awesome!

3. "Thank you, Hhbean, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    80 Rec'd/47 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hhbean View Post
    Have you been weighing them? One of the best indications of illness is weight loss, you'll want to weigh them around the same time each day at first and then you can do just a weekly weigh-in. I error on the side of caution and take my piggies to the vet even if I just feel they are a little "off". When I took Huey in the vet was surprised that I noticed anything wrong with him. She said he was just at the very beginning of a URI and was only able to determine that by listening to his lungs with the stethoscope. I was glad I listened to my gut even though he hadn't shown the normal signs of a URI yet. I take my 10 piggies to http://www.familypetstl.com/ and she is awesome!
    What are there fees?
    Follow my newly made instagram!! You can see some awesome picture of my two girls Ponyo & Ryoko!!

Thanks
    Thanks
    481 Rec'd/326 Posts
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    182 Post(s)

I'm not sure of the exact price for things but when we take all the piggies in for their yearly check-up it was $10 each plus the cost of medicine(Winston needed ear drops that was about $7). I do get a discount but her prices are low compared to other vets in the area I think. She neutered all 4 of our boys and it was between $30-40 each. She works with area rescues and in fact 2 of our girls(piggies) and 1 dog came from her. One of her clients needed to find them a new home and she called me to see if I would be able to take them in....hence the 10 piggies(which is my limit). She also does free nail clippings for clients.

6. "Thank you, Hhbean, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    80 Rec'd/47 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)

What is the vet's name? So I can ask for her.

Thanks
    Thanks
    481 Rec'd/326 Posts
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    182 Post(s)

Oh, it's her office and she is the only vet, unless she goes on vacation. Her name is Hallie Feagans.

9. "Thank you, Hhbean, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    30 Rec'd/25 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Oh, it's her office and she is the only vet, unless she goes on vacation. Her name is Hallie Feagans.
    Thank you @Hhbean! I'm so glad to get the name of a really good piggy vet in the area. :-) The one we used when we first got our piggies was OK, but she didn't exactly bowl me over with her piggy knowledge & experience. It makes me feel better just knowing there is someone out there who knows their stuff when it comes to piggies!!

User Tag List