Thread: Anyone Take Their Pigs to Banfield?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts

Anyone Take Their Pigs to Banfield?

I haven't gotten my pigs yet, I'm still getting their cage together. I know they'll need checkups, so curious about vets. We've taken my dog to Banfield since we got her at about 3mos old, and they've always been great to us. They SAY they can care for small animals, but has anyone here actually taken a piggie there? I like the idea of having one vet for both animals, but only if that vet is capable with Guinea Pigs. Opinions?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    111 Rec'd/89 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Items for Sale

Re: Anyone Take Their Pigs to Banfield?

I can't speak to the one in your location, but I have not had a positive experience with my local Banfield.

When I needed emergency assistance because my George had fallen and was bleeding from his bottom and my vet was closed, I called them to see if there was someone available to see small exotics. They suggested I put him to sleep...
    Had not even looked at him to see the issue.

Prior to that I had used them twice. Each time I walked away thinking "If I had a dog or a cat, that would not have happened". They treated Patch without me being present in the room. Same with Charlie. And with Patch they did not even do the preliminary check with me in the room with him.

But maybe the one in your area is better.
    They did have a cheap vet visit fee, but I found an amazing vet whose vet fee is only $5 more and actually cares about my pigs. She even snuggles them.

Mentioned
    2118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4088 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,528 Rec'd/6,015 Posts

Banfield's reputation is about zero for many animals, guinea pigs included. For sure, their vets have no exotic qualifications. I know they're convenient, and some of them do a pretty good job with routine dog and cat care, but I wouldn't take my pigs there on a bet. You need a good exotic vet to care for pigs.

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Inle_Rabbit's Avatar
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Quoted
    568 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,104 Rec'd/793 Posts

I have never had a good experience with Banfeild for any animal. When I worked for a vet, every time I had to call a Banfeild office for vaccination records the support staff was always very rude. I live in Austin Texas so there are many different Banfeilds in the area and every single one of them had bad professional skills and rude people working for them.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts

Hm. I guess there's my answer. I did try 2 other Banfields before finding the location/staff I like. I'll start looking for a separate vet then. Thanks guys

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    252 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    250 Rec'd/186 Posts
    Blog Entries

My local Banfield DOES NOT see exotics. They are strictly cats and dogs. They are extremely overpriced I think too.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

I took my hamster there and they said their vets had no experience with small animals and without even looking at my hamster, the wanted me to put her down for $100! NO WAY

User Tag List