Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine Blood in Urine. Vet says NO UTI or Stones. Any idea?

PokeyPig

Cavy Slave
I have a 5 year old male piggy who has intermittent blood in his urine. I rushed him to the vet at the first sign of blood. They tested his urine and gave him an xray. After a full exam and several hundred dollars later they say that he doesn't have a UTI and no evidence of stones were detected. They gave him an antibiotic as a precaution and the blood cleared up in a day. But now it's been about a month and I'm seeing blood again. The blood is bright red- not dark like a kidney issue. I've checked his genitals and see no signs of cuts or exterior wounds. I'm just not sure what to do from here. Any ideas?

pinky

Cavy Slave
What antibiotic did they prescribe? If any type of infection, it seems odd that the blood stopped overnight. Are you seeing a vet who specializes in exotics? Stones don't always show up on a first xray. I had a female with a stone that didn't show up on an xray but did on the second one she had after I took her back in when I noticed blood in her urine again. How is his behavior? Does he whimper or strain when he goes to the bathroom?

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
Ditto @pinky - I would look again for stones.

There is also a condition that is an inflammation/irritation that can cause blood in the urine. I had a piggie that had chronic issues, and had on more than one occasion seen urine go from horrible looking to perfectly clear overnight (when he was given the antibiotic Trimethsulfa along with meloxicam which is for pain and inflammation). There is info on guinealynx, I think this is it: https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=21

Kcpuppy101

Cavy Slave
I have a 5 year old male piggy who has intermittent blood in his urine. I rushed him to the vet at the first sign of blood. They tested his urine and gave him an xray. After a full exam and several hundred dollars later they say that he doesn't have a UTI and no evidence of stones were detected. They gave him an antibiotic as a precaution and the blood cleared up in a day. But now it's been about a month and I'm seeing blood again. The blood is bright red- not dark like a kidney issue. I've checked his genitals and see no signs of cuts or exterior wounds. I'm just not sure what to do from here. Any ideas?
This happend to me to with my female pig I took her to the vet they said that she didn't have anything so they gave her antibiotics it stopped for a while then started again so I took her to the Vets again there was nothing so they gave her antibiotics it stopped now started for a day then stopped again my my pig doesn't seem in pain but I am still giving her oxbow urinary vitamins maybe that will help does your pig seem to be in pain?

PokeyPig

Cavy Slave
That could be it! Thank you for the info. The bleeding seems to come and go, and sometimes it's thick- like coagulated or like a discharge.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.