Thread: Are roan guineas ok? And ethics...

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Are roan guineas ok? And ethics...

Someone I know has a roan guinea. I've been reading as long as they're not all white, they shouldn't have any health problems...true? Also, should she not be allowing a roan pig to get pregnant, as this strain has some health problems? Like unethical to continue the lineage? Or is all this just wrong? I am a newby so i don't know! Thanks!

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Re: Are roan guineas ok? And ethics...

Btw I'm thinking of adopting the pig but scared as a new owner!

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Inle_Rabbit's Avatar
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Quoted
    568 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,104 Rec'd/793 Posts
    Roans are fine. Breeding two roams together can create what is called a lethal white. That is a piggy that has many genetic defects usually with its eyes, teeth and digestive systems. They usually do not live long.

4. "Thank you, Inle_Rabbit, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/12 Posts

I haven't heard roans having any more health problems than any other color of guinea pigs. And not all white guinea pigs have problems only the lethal ones. Also it is dangerous for any guinea pig to breed it is not just color/breed specific. Breeding is discouraged because it is really dangerous for the piggy and can be costly to the owner if the pig has complications. Welcome to the forum! You will learn a lot trust me I have.

Cavy Champion
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    76 Rec'd/36 Posts

Inle_Rabbit is 100% spot on i couldnt have said it better myself i dont breed but i do enter 3 of my pigs in shows i have a girlfriend who breeds and when i bought a baby roan at one of the shows she told me never breed her with a roan i told her im not breeding her at all ....we fight alot over breeding she says im wasting good pigs by not breeding them
    BUT NEVERMIND Inle_rabbit is right about the roans ....so yeah

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    17 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Blog Entries

@Lucynzsky Welcome to the forum! I would try to discourage your friend from breeding the roan at all, if that's what she's planning to do. Roan and dalmation guinea pigs carry a gene that predispose them to creating "lethal" pups- which other people have already explained. Having said that, good luck in the adoption of the little gal, and I look forward to seeing you around the site!

@GreyWish Breeding in general, never mind just with roans, is very risky for the sow and the pups- it comes with a very high mortality rate and there can always be complications. Unfortunately there are those that take the risk, have a healthy litter, and then assume that because things haven't gone wrong yet, nothing will ever go wrong. Hopefully by being on this site, and doing a bit of research, you'll be able to convince your girlfriend that breeding is very cruel on the sow involved and runs a high risk of complications.

Cavy Champion
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    76 Rec'd/36 Posts

Iv'e told my Girlfriend and her mother that but they don't belive that things have gone wrong and they were upset about it, i would break up with her if she was abuseing the guineas but i showed her c&c cages and fleece and a lot of ways they could make there lives better and she has but still wont give up breeding she doesn't breed roans for that reason
    and yes i agree that even if you breed the roan with another guinea they still have the chance of making a leathal like the genes of the father -brindle- -tsw- -broken- the genes of the mother -roan- -roan- -leathal- so the mother could have a few brindles a few roans and a leathal or 2 it all depends on the genes we cant see it could even be -roan- -leathal- -leathal- making the chances greater of having a messed up baby but we cant see those genes so its best not to breed them in the first place

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Thanks, everyone !!

User Tag List