Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits We are considering a rabbit, info needed!

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
A couple more can you feed the rabbit guinea pig pellets? how do you keep the bunny from chewing things like base boards?. Is it easier to keep the rabbit/protect from the piggies? I don't know how to choose between a cat or a bunny? much down the line. the rabbit would be free range.

Oxbow Essentials makes food specifically for piggies and also specifically for either juvenile or adult rabbits. Best to feed the appropriate food.

As far as chewing goes, it truly depends on the individual rabbit. I've had many that completely ignored the baseboards. One of my current bunnies loves the baseboards. I've tried vinegar, I've tried ivory soap... nothing would stop him. I ended up putting a 1X3 in front of the baseboards. He can chew on that all he wants.

Which brings me to a consideration. Bunny proofing varies per rabbit and usually requires some 'adjustment' to your decor that might not be the prettiest. Binkybunny site has some great bunny proofing tips. (But for forums, I find rabbitsonline.net to be far more active.) So just be forewarned about 'decor adjustments' if you happen to be very particular about things.

As for single vs pairs, it's really up to you. If you are housing your bunny inside (and free range) then a single bunny can be quite happy. They are not like piggies (imo) in needing to have a companion. [Outdoor bunnies, on the other hand, DO need a companion or they'd be awfully lonely banished outside] I've kept both singles and pairs. That said, I will somewhat contradict myself and say that one particular bunny I had, after she lost her bondmate, did become destructive. She was one rabbit who seemed to need a companion.

If you decide to get a rabbit, I'd highly suggest getting an already fixed rabbit from a rabbit rescue. Fixed rabbits have a more evident personality so you can choose the one to which you are drawn. I wouldn't get hung up on breed, but look more for the right personality. Fixed rabbits are also at the more trainable age and do well with litter training (if not already trained). Another plus is that you get to avoid the stress and cost of spaying/neutering. And, if you decide to bond him/her later, you've already established a repoire with the rescue and they can help you find a suitable companion.

And just in case you didn't catch it on an earlier post, I'd invite you to browse around my indoor bunny site here:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/

Here are my curious bunnies wondering about these new piggies:

100_9218.jpg

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
I found a couple rabbit rescues. They are listed below. I prefer rabbit rescues because they DO fix their rabbits and are more knowledgeable about rabbits.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rabbit-Sanctuary/203010699741998

(broken link removed)

Then this site lists other shelters that happen to have rabbits. But, as I said, they may not be fixed and the people there seldom know much about rabbits:
(broken link removed)

piggi_zone

Cavy Slave
Guinea pig pellets should not be a part of a rabbits permenant diet as the high vitamin c is bad for bunnies. If you rub a bit of full strength vinegar on the baseboards, it should deter the chewing. I don't understand the next question. Are you asking about protecting the piggies from the bunny? Between bunnies and cats, I prefer bunnies (I still love cats but I am a real bunny person at heart) because they are more affectionate, active, and playful.

A few extras:
-Please never put a leash, harness or collar on your rabbit. If the collar/harness/leash becomes caught, or the rabbit tries to get out, the bunny can easily break its own back trying to escape.
-People say that male/female pairs work the best, but it really could matter less. The personality of the bunny is what matters.
-You say you may be considering a Lionhead. I have had 4 lionheads, they are wonderful bunnies.

My favorite bunny forum
https://binkybunny.com/HOME/tabid/36/Default.aspx
protecting the piggies from the bunny. I was wondering if it would be enough to put the piggy cage up on top the bunnies house. I was saying protect because I know they cant play together. I didn't know if they would try to get to them. Of course all of this would be a year or so down the line. I guess just go to the rescue and which catches my eye cat or rabbit.

Threepigsnacuy

Cavy Slave
My bunnies have never given a thought to my piggies. I think it would be fine to put the piggy cage on top.

animallova

Cavy Gazer
My rabbit is an outside rabbit but I will still tell you what I know..... Well you will need a cage and a hutch. Once the cage is in the hutch you should have 1 metre out of the cage so the rabbit will have room to run around. My rabbit eats pellets (from the pet shop), dry mix (from the pet shop) and fresh vegetables everyday. You have to handle them when they are young so they don't grow up to bite and scratch. i have a friend who bought a rabbit that was so bad (she bought as an adult and it wasn't nice!) it would bite and kick and scratch. So you have to handle it so it will get used to you (best to get it young, or an adult that is nice). Oh and they also eat grass. Thats all I can remember right now. Hope that helps!

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Rabbits of any age make fine pets. Even those with checkered pasts. Most rabbits though do not like to be picked up and if done incorrectly will kick and scratch.

Rabbits rarely bite. I have only experienced a rabbit attack me once and it was a female in heat. Females in heat can become very territorial, one if the many reasons it is recommended to get rabbits of both sexes fixed.

piggi_zone

Cavy Slave
If I ever get a bunny, it would be indoor free range ( after I figure how to protect my furniture) Second if I get the rabbit from a rabbit rescue the bunny should be ok right? Do they learn to later like to be pet? My local rescue takes in everything but give to fosters that know a lot about that particular animal.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Rabbits like to be pet but they generally do not like to be picked up, held and cuddled.

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
If I ever get a bunny, it would be indoor free range ( after I figure how to protect my furniture) Second if I get the rabbit from a rabbit rescue the bunny should be ok right? Do they learn to later like to be pet? My local rescue takes in everything but give to fosters that know a lot about that particular animal.

All of my rabbits have come from rescues (with 1 or 2 exceptions). Rescued rabbits are usually great. Don't think that rabbits in rescues have something wrong with them or are rejects by some character flaw. Typically, they come into rescues because either an uninformed owner gets bored with the rabbit or, very often, its because the rabbit has reached the hormonal stage and the owner is unwilling (or unaware about) getting bunny fixed.

If you'd like to have a free range bunny, getting a rescue that is fixed greatly simplifies things because bunny will be mature enough to train. Fixed rabbits are far more easy to train.

Did you check out those rescues I linked above? Going with an experienced rabbit rescue that truly knows rabbits is definitely worth the extra driving.

Most bunnies love to be pet (with all fours on the ground). This includes rescue rabbits too. But, as Inle_Rabbit stated, few appreciate being picked up and held.

mumof4andzoo

Cavy Slave
We have 3 rabbits aswell as 4 guinea pigs.

Our mini Rex called missy loves cuddles and is quite laid back.
Our dwarf netherland Smokey is a destructive nosey, curious lady. Even though we rabbit proofed our home, so far she has cost me nearly 300 pounds in repairs. Various wires and cables that she climbed to get to were chewed through, including a telephone wire, christmas lights wires, and the main TV cable. We lost the lino in the bathroom aswell!!.

Our Rex is best buddies with our male Guinea pig Rupert who doesnt like other guinea pigs but loves our rabbits and will happily snuggle up to our two female rabbits when out of their cages.

Our guinea pig Charlie (female), a dwarf with problems, will sit on our male rabbits back ( Humphrey) who is a monstrosity of a rabbit, whilst he walks around. Humphrey will actively seek out Charlie and lay next to her when out on playtime.

My advise in homing/ looking after rabbits, No matter how much you proof your home, they will still find ways to get round it all!!!

Wonderland RR

Cavy Slave
Hope you are still reading these. I see you are in Michigan!!! I run Wonderland Rabbit Rescue just south of Detroit. I strongly suggest you get your rabbit from a Rescue. Last year was horribly hard for all of us as a lot of people that were displaced due to unemployment released their rabbits "into the wild"... ugh.... and all of us are bursting at the seams with rabbits, including bunnies, many of which we have listed on Facebook and PetFinder and I know that I have several buns that I haven't even had a chance to get up yet. The advantage of a Rescue is bunny will come to you already spayed/neutered, which cuts out unwanted behavior and also makes for a healthier happier rabbit. Yes, you will pay more from a Rescue than off ... cough cough die!!!... Craig's List, but trust me you never want to get a rabbit that way!!! Most from horrible breeders getting ready for Easter and raised in such horrible conditions it will make your hair curl. A rescue will also be able to help you get equipment you need for bunny, help you find a responsible bun savvy exotic vet and help you with any problems that come up with any rabbit companion. Remember these little dudes are 10 year committments and are not the best pets for children under age 14. The rabbit 'bible' is www.rabbit.org ... the House Rabbit Society, which can tell you anything you want to know about anything. And you can check us out a www.wonderlandrabbitrescue.com

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.