Thread: Is it bad for a young guinea pig to have babies? Please Help!

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Is it bad for a young guinea pig to have babies? Please Help!

I have a young guinea pig around 5-7 months old and she is pregnant is that bad or dangerous? I have another guinea pig that is about 8 or 9 (I'm pretty sure 9) months old and she is also pregnant is it bad for them to give birth at that age?

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    250 Rec'd/186 Posts
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    252 Post(s)

Re: Is it bad for a young guinea pig to have babies? Please Help!

It is bad for them to give birth at any age, but the older they get the harder it is. May I ask how you ended up with two pregnant sows?! I'd be scared to death , but I'm OCD

Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/31 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    It can be bad if there are complications with the birth unfortunately a lot of sows end up needing surgery to remove the pups. Hopefully yours will be ok, you should take them to a vet to check.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

Did you intentionally breed them?

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Thanks for the help and I'm honestly not even sure my males and females are separated but I had my females having floor time one day and I have a little brother that loves the mails (his 5 years old but don't worry he knows how to carry them but while my piggies having floor time the male he was carrying jumped out of his lap (my brother was on the floor) and my brother didn't exactly tell me and the male got to my females but I'm pretty sure he didn't go on top of them?

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuineaPigs2013 View Post
    Thanks for the help and I'm honestly not even sure my males and females are separated but I had my females having floor time one day and I have a little brother that loves the mails (his 5 years old but don't worry he knows how to carry them but while my piggies having floor time the male he was carrying jumped out of his lap (my brother was on the floor) and my brother didn't exactly tell me and the male got to my females but I'm pretty sure he didn't go on top of them?
    Sounds like your brother needs to be supervised when he holds a guinea pig. If the males and females have separate cages, don't bring them out for lap time at the same time. It's as simple as that. You should keep them in a room in the house where there's adult supervision if it's hard for you to monitor what your brother is doing.

Thanks
    Thanks
    516 Rec'd/374 Posts
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    277 Post(s)

I don't think that by "breeders standards" they are too young. I know that baby guinea pigs can get pregnant very early and that is more dangerous, as is breeding a much older animal. No matter what age the pig is, guinea pigs have a high delivery complication/ fatality rate. I believe it is somewhere around 20% fatality rate. It's more dangerous if there is only one baby in there because single babies grow bigger and make it harder on the mom to deliver it. If you could get them to a vet and the vet can figure out how many babies are in there that would be good to know. Especially so you can be there to oversee or assist in the delivery (help pull a big baby out) or rush her to the vet for help.

Keep in mind that she will be able to rebreed again right after delivery if she has access to a male and if you do not wean/remove the male babies they can also breed to their mom and sister around 4 weeks I believe (please look this up because I am not 100% sure what the actual amount of weeks is). It is a huge strain on the mom to have back to back pregnancies and to be pregnant while nursing.

Also, if they are both pregnant and you cage the sows together, when one goes into labor it may induce the other.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,440 Rec'd/991 Posts
    Mentioned
    291 Post(s)
    Quoted
    697 Post(s)

@GuineaPigs2013, what have you noticed that makes you feel like they might be pregnant? Even if they are, it would be difficult to tell at this stage.

Also, at 5 years old, your brother does not understand the ramifications of males and females "playing" together. What he understands is that boys and girls in his class play together and in his eyes, this is no different. There should be a hard and fast rule laid down by the adults in the house, that the boy pigs and girl pigs DO NOT play together.

User Tag List