Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General My 4-5 Month old Piggy had a baby! Very unexpected! Help!

kwright

Cavy Slave
This past weekend, my guinea pig, named Sandy had her first baby. i got her a little over two months ago and she just had a baby boy. I was very suprised, and i did not know she was even pregnant. I now have no idea what to do. I have all female guinea pigs. I dont have any space for the baby male. He is very cute, and i would love to keep him, but i cant. The pet store has a no return policy, and i dont want to return, but should i ask them about how this came about and see what they will do?

ALSO, Sandy is housed with one other female guinea pig, her name is Hazel. Should i seperate Hazel from the momma and the abby? She doesnt seem to be harming the little one except for an occational nibble. i have cought the little baby cuddling with both Sandy and Hazel. I know he must be seperated at 3-4 weeks. But in the mean time, any suggestions? I have never had to deal with a new born guinea pig. Help please!

aspecht

Cavy Slave
You don't have to seperate unless there is a problem. Most guinea pig females will act as a "nanny" for babies, helping care for them. I would recommend resexing in two weeks, as it is difficult to sex a newborn sometimes. I would start feeding alfalfa hay along with the Timothy, and making sure the water is accessible. If you use a C&C cage, it needs to be baby proofed as well.

BunnysAndPiggys

Cavy Slave
I agree with @ThePigAlchemist,
If you neuter him, he can stay with the whole group!

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
If the baby is a boy he will need to be separated from the girls at 3 weeks of age. You can find him a new home at that time. Double check the sex at 3 weeks to make sure he is a he. Baby guinea pigs tend to look very similar down there.

If you want to get him fix the vet will probably do the surgery around 6 months. He will need to stay separated from the girls from 3 weeks until a few weeks after surgery.

Best of luck and share some baby pics with us!

kwright

Cavy Slave
This past weekend, my guinea pig, named Sandy had her first baby. i got her a little over two months ago and she just had a baby boy. I was very suprised, and i did not know she was even pregnant. I now have no idea what to do. I have all female guinea pigs. I dont have any space for the baby male. He is very cute, and i would love to keep him, but i cant. The pet store has a no return policy, and i dont want to return, but should i ask them about how this came about and see what they will do?

ALSO, Sandy is housed with one other female guinea pig, her name is Hazel. Should i seperate Hazel from the momma and the abby? She doesnt seem to be harming the little one except for an occational nibble. i have cought the little baby cuddling with both Sandy and Hazel. I know he must be seperated at 3-4 weeks. But in the mean time, any suggestions? I have never had to deal with a new born guinea pig. Help please!

You don't have to seperate unless there is a problem. Most guinea pig females will act as a "nanny" for babies, helping care for them. I would recommend resexing in two weeks, as it is difficult to sex a newborn sometimes. I would start feeding alfalfa hay along with the Timothy, and making sure the water is accessible. If you use a C&C cage, it needs to be baby proofed as well.

If he does end up being a boy, is there any chance you would be able to neuter him? One boy and a hard of girls tends to work well, and you could keep the family together. If that's not an option, you can try rehoming him on your own. I wouldn't get the pet store involved.

I agree with @ThePigAlchemist ,
If you neuter him, he can stay with the whole group!

If the baby is a boy he will need to be separated from the girls at 3 weeks of age. You can find him a new home at that time. Double check the sex at 3 weeks to make sure he is a he. Baby guinea pigs tend to look very similar down there.

If you want to get him fix the vet will probably do the surgery around 6 months. He will need to stay separated from the girls from 3 weeks until a few weeks after surgery.

Best of luck and share some baby pics with us!

Thank ALL of you for the great help! I have taken all of what you said into consideration. The baby is doing just fine right now, along with he other two. I went out and got some Alfalfa hay for the baby, and i put some in the cage, but the mommys ate it too! So, im not sure how much the baby got! My Piggies are great though!

Any suggestions on how to raise it? im thinking about having him neutered if it not crazy expensive...but i would also have to wait six months...so im not sure.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
If you want to keep it then I'd get it neutered. Or get it a friend and keep it seperated. :) I am looking to get one of mine neutered, and it will be $150 with the office visit.

kwright

Cavy Slave
how old do you think he will have to be to get neutered? i dont want him to be away from the girls too long becuase they may not like him when i bring him back into the cage with them.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
They have to be 6 months I believe. Call your vet and find out what they prefer.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.