Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Allergies CritterZone is Here! Air is GREAT! Allergy & Odor Relief

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
We finally got the new CritterZone product up on the Market site: www.GuineaPigMarket.com/critterzone.

We've had it for a while and have been testing it out ourselves. I LOVE this thing! Yes, it's a little pricey ($89.95), but it is what it is. And it is totally worth it!

Sneeze-guinea-pig2.jpg

critter-zone-piggy-ad.jpg

Check out more details about it on the product page. It's little, but for me, that's good thing. More possibilities on where it can go.

I currently have it next to my bed on my side table. I don't think I can go back to sleeping without it. I'm consistently waking up about a half an hour to hour earlier than I normally have and I feel quite refreshed when I wake up as well. I have terrible allergies... dust mites and trees and stuff.

I have to share a personal story, though. So, TODAY I was putting the final touches on getting this live on the store. TODAY, I get a call from my ex-boyfriend. We're still on good terms. This is the guy that had the original guinea pig that as a result got me into rescue back in 1998. But, I hadn't heard from him in a while.

I'm like, "Hi, how are doing? What's up?" He proceeds to tell me that he just got back from his allergist and an intense round of allergy testing. The doc is going down the list of the pinpricks on his arm. "Dog, no. Cat, no. Pig, uh yes." Robert is "WHAT? Did you say PIG? Do you mean GUINEA PIG???" Guy says Yes. Allergic to guinea pigs!!! He was like, no wayyyy. And grasses.

Of course, he's not around any right now, but just too too funny for us. We had a really good laugh over it. And here I am putting up this anti-allergy item on our store. It was just a funny day.

Anyway, Jenny and I love this gizmo. Here's a $5 off introductory coupon for it: ZONE5. Hope some of you get one and try it out!

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just popping this back up for the daytime crowd! :)

Aleks

Cavy Slave
Sounds very interesting! I wish it were cheaper, but as you said it is what it is. I'll just have to start saving up to buy one. ;)

MommaOfFour

Cavy Slave
this DOES sound like something worth checking out! Thanks for posting this - I'll have to read through that later.... I always get stuck on here at work... I'm going to get myself in serious trouble of these days *sigh* lol ^^
just from looking at it at the moment I cant imagine such a tiny thing doing such a huge job but I hope I'll be mistaken. this would actually be great for us.... having 4 animals - oh yea!

jukeboxcavy

Cavy Gazer
I may need to pick this up. Actually, I will order it this weekend.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
That thing is wonderful! I currently have three of them in strategic areas of the house, including the guinea pig room. I did a review of CritterZone for my About.com column: (broken link removed)

It's the only thing that helps keep the room tolerable after Mewsette does one of her sporadic "I must pee on the carpet" rounds.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Oh very cool! Well, hopefully people will buy them from us a source now and help support this forum and site and everything else we do for the piggers. I'd love it if you could update your blog with a link to our store page. That would help. :)

I met the owner of the CritterZone by chance at a networking event for Women in the Pet Industry while I was at a pet wholesalers expo in Vegas a couple of months ago. We really hit it off and started talking. I was charmed by her and the product. And after a couple of months of a lot of work on the Market site (had to rearrange things to allow us to sell more types of products), I finally got it up there. Whoohoo!

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
I should add that it was an expensive investment for us and I just decided to go with the corded unit rather than the plugin unit as I felt it gave more flexibility on where you could put it. The benefit of no cords to chew on is much less applicable for the guinea pig world. But the unit you reviewed is functionally the same as what we are selling. :)

I should also add that if anyone is going to be at the Global Pet Expo (for vendors not consumers), Jenny, I and Sue are all planning on being there in March! I mention it since you mentioned it on your review.

MommaOfFour

Cavy Slave
That thing is wonderful! I currently have three of them in strategic areas of the house, including the guinea pig room. I did a review of CritterZone for my About.com column: (broken link removed)

It's the only thing that helps keep the room tolerable after Mewsette does one of her sporadic "I must pee on the carpet" rounds.

oh WOW this is a crazy little device! I just read your review and I'm impressed, I'm going to do a lot of reading on this this next weekend and see if we'll give it a try. I havent found our cat or piggies to be annoying or smelling a lot even in the apartment we live in but the bunny pee is the worst thing ever even though he uses a litter box and I clean it ever couple days it's the most awful smell ever that I can't seem to get rid of unless I clean the box ever time he pees.... yikes.
I bought some of those glade scent warmer smelly things to plug in at Costco, we'll see how long that lasts, so far it's covering up the smell pretty good unless I put my nose right in the bunnies box.
what does ozone smell like? I havent had an air purifier before and I don't really want to spend $90 to find out whether I can put up with it or not.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
You should keep the setting on LOW all the time (which is the switch moved to the far right, opposite of what you would normally do). The smell is virtually unnoticeable. When you do notice it if you are right up next to it, it's like a rainy day smell to me. Fresh. I suppose if you had it in a very small enclosed room, you might notice it more, but I would not recommend having guinea pigs or people in small enclosed rooms so I hope that isn't an issue for most people.

I don't know about rabbits, but the few times I've been around rats---phew! If I had ratties, I'd definitely be using this also.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Oh very cool! Well, hopefully people will buy them from us a source now and help support this forum and site and everything else we do for the piggers. I'd love it if you could update your blog with a link to our store page. That would help. :)
I'll definitely add a link, and I'll do a post on my front page alerting my readers they can buy it here.

So cool that you'll be at Global! I'll definitely be there myself so I'll be sure to say hi. I'm usually there every day of the expo.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'll definitely add a link, and I'll do a post on my front page alerting my readers they can buy it here.

So cool that you'll be at Global! I'll definitely be there myself so I'll be sure to say hi. I'm usually there every day of the expo.

Thank you very much. And sweeeet! Totally looking forward to meeting you at Global as well. That will be fun!!

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Here we go! (broken link removed)

That's the actual blog entry, and it will be on the site's front page for a few days.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Oh awesome! PM me for a discount to the store if you like.

MommaOfFour

Cavy Slave
one thing I haven't been able to figure out.... how long does this device last? does it come with refills or do I have to get a new system? I majored in biology and chemistry so I am familiar with the speed/amout of reactions slowing down over time as due to general air improvement but also reduced availability of "unused" chemicals to react in the device but what am I looking at life-time wise?

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I've had mine since Jan. (I think...Global was Jan. or Feb.) and so far no loss of effect. I worry about dust etc. since you can't clean it like you do an Oreck, so I'm hoping for at least a year. I don't mind an annual/bi-annual replacement since it will save me that in odor-masking products.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Actually, you can clean it every so often. I'm on the phone right now, but will post that info in a bit.

Brizy

Cavy Slave
I'm going to be asking for one of these in my wedding registry. ;) The "pet room" isn't too smelly but it would be nice for those occasional days when the odor is stronger than usual.

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
I think I'm going to get 1 tonight and see if it helps my sister's allergies at all! She moved in with us a few months ago and lives in the basement but due to her being allergic to hay she really can't come upstairs and see the piggies popcorning. She has to adore them from afar(computer pigtures).

NursePiggy

Cavy Slave
I bought one 3 weeks ago and it brought much needed relief for me in our pet zone. It does have a strong metal smell the first few days which they tell you about in the insert...but when that is gone you notice so is the bad pet odor too! Plus my throat used to tighten up everytime i gave them hay and it no longer does that. I keep it plugged in and running 24/7 as the directions instruct. I wrote a review on the Guinea Pig Market about it too called Tiny But Tough. Absolutely worth the investment!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.